2007 Vulcan 900 Custom noise. | GTAMotorcycle.com

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom noise.

IbbadMurtaza

https://youtu.be/Dq_ZJuWwM8w
This is a link to the video, had to upload it to youtube as this app wouldn’t allow me to upload a video.
So I was going to work today, and while on the road, my bike suddenly started to shake, and noises were coming from this part of my motorcycle, behind my left footpeg.
I was hearing this noise and clunking noises. Help please!! ☹️

Rev ON

Interesting. Assuming you were in neutral (or had the clutch pulled in) on every bike I have seen nothing should be moving under that cover.

Does the sound remain when the clutch is pulled in? Clutch in will isolate the noise as either engine or transmission based.

Last edited:
I'd pull that cover off, it may be that your front sprocket is loose. I'd also check the belt tensioner, that belt doesn't look very tight. Are the cogs on the belt supposed to be rounded off like that? Or is it time for a new one?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Belt looks normal.

As mentioned above, could be a loose pulley. If you're not comfortable checking it yourself, Frekeyguy (on this forum) may be able to help.

[video=youtube_share;TmsW6AiiKAk]https://youtu.be/TmsW6AiiKAk[/video]

I did not have the clutch pulled in. While in motion on the road, I was still hearing the noise, but this time it was as if something was stuck. I have another video as well that I will upload and send you the link to.

Hey. Thanks for the video. I'm never comfortable with opening my bike up, but I'll check the video out and see if it's easy. Might be able to do it myself.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure if they're supposed to look like that. I tried opening my bike yesterday, will try again today and see if I can tighten some stuff on it.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure if they're supposed to look like that. I tried opening my bike yesterday, will try again today and see if I can tighten some stuff on it.

If the front pulley is loose, don't just tighten it up and hope for the best. Pull it apart and make sure it doesn't look like the one in the video above (facked).

If you were in neutral (or clutch in) during your video, the cause of the noise won't be a loose pulley. If you were in gear, it is possible that the pulley stripped or fell off but you didn't mention that the bike was unable to move so this seems like the wrong diagnosis.

If the front pulley is loose, don't just tighten it up and hope for the best. Pull it apart and make sure it doesn't look like the one in the video above (facked).

If you were in neutral (or clutch in) during your video, the cause of the noise won't be a loose pulley. If you were in gear, it is possible that the pulley stripped or fell off but you didn't mention that the bike was unable to move so this seems like the wrong diagnosis.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to take the front silver cover off but can’t seem to figure out how to. Gonna watch the video again and hope I can figure the problem out.
I had the clutch pulled in, and the bike operating, it was just jerking a lot as if I let the clutch out really fast when I did not. I just hope I can fix this, just purchased the bike too.

Rev ON

Have you adjusted anything on the bike since you bought it? ie clutch cable or anything else prior to hearing the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the cover in your video is not the one you want to remove to see the front sprocket/pulley. It is the one to the left of the one on your video.

In the second video, the guy has both covers off...the one on the left exposes the belt and sprocket/pulley and the one on the right exposes the coolant reserve tank.

If you are looking for a service manual, this might help:

e7b51e8b8bba030ad347da0d22287a6a.jpg

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900: Clunking noise update

https://youtu.be/sJk1L7m9-4s
Hey there. I recently posted about the clunking noise coming from my 07’ Vulcan 900. Apart from the noise, I was hearing clicks and the bike was jerking.
When it comes to opening things up, I suck at it. I took the initiative to take off a few parts and was finally able to get to my front pulley and belt. Apparently the belt seems like it’s worn out. I posted a picture and the YouTube link is the link to my new video which shows the pulley moving but not the belt. Does anyone know where I can find an affordable good belt, and how long are the belts supposed to last if you ride clean? IMG_3888.JPG

Rev ON

Re: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900: Clunking noise update

Glad to see you found the problem (and it's probably a cheapish and easy fix). It's interesting that the belt completely gave up. Was it adjusted properly?

Next time you should keep everything in one thread so it makes it easier to follow.

If the belt is adjusted properly it should last 80-100,000 kms.
I don't think you'll find anything other than the genuine Kawasaki replacement.
Putting one on is a horror show - it requires removing the rear wheel and swing arm.
From what you've told us about your mechanical ability take it to a shop.

The belt tension is set by moving the rear wheel backwards in the swingarm - loosening the axle and turning the screw adjusters.

If you can't reach proper tension in the adjustment range or if the belt is cracked or otherwise worn, then it's time to replace. I suspect some people 'riding clean' never have to replace it.

You can get stones caught up in the belt making a mess of the belt and/or sprocket sometimes.

The Snow City parts Kawasaki parts finder shows a belt p/n for 59011-0013 $421...

The belt tension is set by moving the rear wheel backwards in the swingarm - loosening the axle and turning the screw adjusters.

If you can't reach proper tension in the adjustment range or if the belt is cracked or otherwise worn, then it's time to replace. I suspect some people 'riding clean' never have to replace it.

You can get stones caught up in the belt making a mess of the belt and/or sprocket sometimes.

The Snow City parts Kawasaki parts finder shows a belt p/n for 59011-0013 $421...

Given the condition of his belt in the video (pulley spinning against belt and side of belt shredded) I would consider his beyond the point of salvage. Based on that belt price plus the description of the work required, my guess is $750+ for a shop to get this done.

Glad to see you found the problem (and it's probably a cheapish and easy fix). It's interesting that the belt completely gave up. Was it adjusted properly?

Next time you should keep everything in one thread so it makes it easier to follow.

Thank you for your reply. I was going to, but I didn’t wanna reply to the old thread because I thought no one would reply to it, as it would go to the bottom of the list.

Rev ON

If the belt is adjusted properly it should last 80-100,000 kms.
I don't think you'll find anything other than the genuine Kawasaki replacement.
Putting one on is a horror show - it requires removing the rear wheel and swing arm.
From what you've told us about your mechanical ability take it to a shop.

Thank you for your reply. I bought the bike at 28,000 kms, what would cause the belt to wear out so fast?

Rev ON

Thank you for your reply. $421?!? That’s a lot. Is there anything more affordable?

Rev ON

Back
Top Bottom