suggestions for riding out west/colorado/utah/ ect. | GTAMotorcycle.com

suggestions for riding out west/colorado/utah/ ect.

theshnizzle

Site Supporter
So....thinking of doing this ride. Haven' been yet. Looking at my paper map!!!!!! I was thinking of breaking up the slab ride deeking off 70 now and then onto a lesser parallel route. Anything that is about a 40 min ride or so off the superhighway. Would this be a waste of my time or a nice little diversion from going 80 mph for hours.

I was going to start from Colorado Springs. I havent even started to look at where to go yet, but maybe pikes peak, moab, million dollar highway, the usual. I was going to give myself 2 weeks for the trip in total, I can add a couple days if need be.

Im not much of a dawdler, nor a heavy sightseerer. I have no problem riding for 8 ,12, 14 or 16 hours straight. although the 14 to 16 hour days can take it out of you, pretty hard to do those back to back to back.

I wasn't planning on the grand Canyon, to much traffic and hey! I've been to the one in PA!!

I should clarify, starting from port hope area. Crossing at dee-triot, then south to 70.

On the fence whether to take the F650gs, killer fuel mileage, the the hayabusa, fuel mileage sucks, but, smiles for miles. plus I find it a very relaxing and soothing ride on the busa.

So any suggestions on routes across, some roads you found you liked out west that aren't the typical, good campgrounds and whatnot.

cheers

I was thinking of breaking up the slab ride deeking off 70 now and then onto a lesser parallel route. Anything that is about a 40 min ride or so off the superhighway. Would this be a waste of my time or a nice little diversion from going 80 mph for hours.

We've stepped off of the I70 between Kansas City and Denver. The small towns are interesting if you're into that kinda thing, but not worth adding several hours to your Grand Prairies slog, IMO. I suggest do it once, get a flavour of small town middle-America, then hop back onto the Interstate and don't look back! :)

On the fence whether to take the F650gs, killer fuel mileage, the the hayabusa, fuel mileage sucks, but, smiles for miles. plus I find it a very relaxing and soothing ride on the busa.

It's your vacation! Definitely smiles for miles over fuel economy. Plus the gas is cheaper in the US anyway.

when I did my second ride to Alaska last year, I stayed off the t can and rode south on 13 or 1 or whatever.....through the small Prarie towns and it really changed the whole attitude. it' a nice diversion, if nothing else, gives you something to look at, change gears a bit, cruise through nodding and waving at folks, the bikes sound changes as well and isn't a steady drone for hours.

but....do I want to just " get there"? dunno, I guess I will have to see once I get going. did I already say my out west start point was Colorado Springs?

BTW, I don' use a GPS nor do I pre book campgrounds nor stay in motels or eat in restaurants. I carry everything with me. I'm a wizard at frugal travelling......out of nessisty.

gene, do you remember what route you rode when you went off the highway? I see a couple of options when I look at my map.

I don't remember, it wasn't very memorable. Looking at the map, we got off at Salina but can't remember if we took the northern parallel road or south. It was either 140 or 18, but the town names on both roads don't sound familiar. I know for sure we were back on I70 by Hays (long before it actually). I do remember that the towns and roads all looked the same, so I don't really think it's important what road you take once you're off the highway.

It was no more than an hour detour, but it was enough to convince us to stay on the Interstate until Denver. You might like it though if that's your thing.

The 89a between Flagstaff and Prescott in Arizona is a great ride. If you are out near the Sedona, AZ area, it's a route worth taking.

thanks. I want to see non Ontario scenery. red rocks, dramatic shadows, scrub, cacti, you get the drift. it' been a while since I've seen that, not since my ride down through southern Mexico.

thanks. I want to see non Ontario scenery. red rocks, dramatic shadows, scrub, cacti, you get the drift. it' been a while since I've seen that, not since my ride down through southern Mexico.

You know, if you take the GS, you can do a dual-sport run through Canyonlands. Potash Road, past the Thelma & Louise cliff at the Colorado River then up Shafer Switchbacks is right up your alley for that kind of scenery.

In fact, there is a terrific off-road run through the Rocky Mountains near Colorado Springs. Start in Keystone, then go through Crested Butte.

since I ride solo ,I tend not to go off road. I try and keep my risk level to a minimum while so far from home since I don' have a riding partner to help pick up the pieces. but thanks!

You might want to snag an annual National Parks pass for $80 US one time. Since every park is $25 it pays for itself quickly.

Arches, Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon are all drive through and lovely ...there are lots of others.
pics here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=R2h2ZHZMNkF1ZENYbFRYcFFCX0ZNQ2RsQmRUWUdR

Bryce is over 9,000' so check the temps.

X5ci0tw5ullX4w88uS5Nwa2-efggROP23L72LdEar6f3ns-3eUnw7PlnkrrVX_dEiwtq4CXbGxS0_rixUOyJJQ56UTSeKuCgRbMDqv_fhstYRWUe9Ty4r52YCQgmFs8_U_TKsUXOko4YrDfXWfUwfxtuf9iGBcL9ANG0x1GiYDAEXWDKQSdYNKEWZz4y17NxwL2G-cx7JL97w6ibWWU1l3UaU8YhsjtBJLM0GbbK35c27aokaseD_kBeweZIyvxYxM4XkWypk22Qzji-h51oFBmltTz4PySjmG8cYKOL0Fynj1H0AabDqADhc2TK-ScqY0W8lzAWj3Bp1Tp-epzrrJuwLF8kGmx9n5RHzf0hKivlj8Qu_zXTXDZeaV3K1NUaZWMKEa28e05goMSnzhGhwRfs1x04RvpYO43ajeaWqzbWegYBQmHazGCXDK8JbVtJ4Kcd65gebc-mtGcRFhgLgPAjz7JLje34MpqTDbojV2zXwVC1_IlKhbhkdDj--Zva8_HtbSHgpUUN8Q8GWORm7Ximw18PSlTi04RcTYhjCHhfnFON6hfNBhevypNPwKms_OyVOBElw6jyo_UQkMq36DnAOHXW3M-2rPGZVvxDLEh8Rqv03ZvCRtl3G3Hvk1doHMWYR3pVQVn8i8GZP7wvbHmBnLy0T_Sb=w1254-h844-no

Grand Canyon is the real thing....PA is a joke by comparison

pVVgi-VkviABUZ8eogrD41bxl8ppbeOnHFOQ0D65VEtCJncFiyUxhLPSbLgwXH4mmBnOzcPErN0r_USOXQKRs1n0GcOT31GDyxomTvak7zkuS92CQ4_Uy073R3O3PoUhaMg2xhunVhJ3kYNmKcZO2_VHNiGKQ6kii2S9_zmmqQR7ZojeeZKpWQnFVg0H656RnYIkvowQtVfBBoTNcrJJPEzS7DqGWynIzHewgfzbDYuX8NGIkwf6qLLAd2bbTCt3g1G9_7TFS1Im3B4Xv9D5TMrYDYMOYq952NhKiK0Py1-ayQQwI83xUeQ1n5lmV15EhF6l2awBn6SmJAw_OxjNXvX4uCPPoleoqeNp546QwYa7RqKPXHZACefDaOd8gbfkVp8xvrUDLt--oV5ShW3q1RdgdPx6TqyzXveOE6UIGi8SY2cSUBR2z-U-JaGi7rupnxMtRnhQFEdsvBarrNiJwxrsxfXDvNq5L0qAlMs98uJ64gRpngR07AFIav0NgYXOWy_cDrkcYjCfHuMEn7OQz1MS-lta6qd-uHAFdaRe90-fPExmNGFY8pweYUA-61bIAC8t3wa-ONjtCjAzTa_YyYY6240gnEmHt3LOP2CxATMCm66dGcidlXu4FYmapbJzhIe2eNGSnwAP7Lb2xlT4cEVg4aG3BUx9Sg=w1256-h798-no

Have fun.

I rode from Toronto via Golden Colorado to Vancouver, then back via Edmonton to Toronto,
doing 800-1100 kilometers per day, and I liked mixing Interstate and secondary highways.

I have ridden from Florida to Toronto and back a few times, and use the same method, and I like it.

I particularly enjoyed US-93 in Idaho. It follows the Salmon River, which is turbulent and very scenic.

I would plan my day's ride and write it on masking tape, which I stuck to the tank. Usually three or
four strips covered the day, with the first strip on top, of course. I consider this approach much safer
than a GPS device, because the temptation to look at it would be constant and strong, but I needed to
look at the tape only when changing highways ... let's see ... I-70 for 75 miles then get off at the
exit for Russell Kansas.

I guess I am an old fuddy-duddy sometimes, but I'm alive. Someone asked what I thought was a
good device for communicating from one motorcycle to another. I said, "A pair of kickstands."

I can't imagine the masking tape lasts to long in the rain. I have paper that fits into my map pocket that I write the days route onto. I slide the old one to the bottom and replace it with my new days route. I keep them and have fun reliving my trip.

I too am distracted by a gps. Plus I don't trust them. I need a map to see here to there and possibilities inbetween.

For those who have bought a pass, do you just flash it at the gate or what?

.... Crossing at dee-triot, then south to 70. ...
Watch out for road debris, Detroit is the place where you might need to suddenly swerve around three quarters of busted picnic table to avoid a free rolling baby carriage and aim for a gap between the old tires

I know. It used to be like that on 81 around,Syracuse but it's been much better the last few years.

I went out to Colorado and Utah last summer. Was amazing, especially Utah. Colorado was great, but Utah is like being on another planet. Moab was great, though super busy and touristy.

Arches National Park is stunning though gets very busy very touristy fast. I went first thing in the morning when they opened. Not sure why but there was no one at the front gate so just road on through and enjoyed the park before heavy traffic started showing up. No where to pay when leaving either so got a free trip.

Riding just about everywhere in Moab was amazing. This was Highway 128 just before Arches National Park. Follows the Colorado River and goes on and on. I just went out and explored and enjoyed the amazing scenery and endless twisty roads

A real highlight for me was doing Valley of the Gods. About 80 miles south of Moab if memory serves me. Amazing dirt road, only about 20 miles long, pretty much empty when I went, saw one car going by and one van way off the road that had been camping. So perfectly serene and HOT. Make sure you cary enough water when out exploring. There is definitely some concerns when travelling alone and out in the middle of nowhere with cell service. I know the route was only 20 miles ish from end to end so did not feel that nervous if something should break down. I would have a hike but would have been doable.

I do plan on going back sometime and will spend all the time out in Utah and probably the Moab area. I did love Colorado and there is some amazing riding. Pikes Peak was worth it, again would say get there right when they open. I had most of the road up to myself. On the way down you could see all the masses working their way upwards and glad I was not behind them.

Back
Top Bottom