Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music

There could be an issue if you don't place the speaker beside your ears though.

yeah the speakers are very sensitive to positioning. You can get foam plugs with lower attenuation as well.

Noise cancelling is unlikely ever to work for motorcycles as the energies are too high for wind noise - they do work for planes etc.

But then I could be wrong
http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...long-term-south-american-ride-review.1157477/

Go to the end of the posts for other choices - notably Pioneer Rayz for iphone users.

Well stay tuned - should have them Tuesday

The main difference between the Rayz and the Rayz Plus model is the integrated charging port that is built into the Rayz Plus model; this lets you charge your iPhone, iPad or iPod at the same time you have the Rayz Plus earphones plugged in - it's the only Lightning powered earphone that lets you talk/listen and charge at the same time

Just under $200 - no need for

update: so I found the noise cancelling works almost as well as the Bose with auto calibration. I had to try a couple of different ear pieces to find ones that fit my ears well. I was hoping they were slimmer than the Bose, but they fit about the same in my helmet's (Shoei RF900) ear cutout area. Popping was less frequent than as the QC20’s, virtually nonexistent below 60mph and very minimal between 60-85 on an FZ-07 with a medium windscreen.

Pioneer’s noise cancellation gets it's power from the phone so no separate battery to worry so that's a plus. It auto pauses music when you take out both buds and can auto mute when you're not speaking when on a call and un mutes automatically when you speak again. App allows customization of the on-cord Smartbutton to toggle between auto calibration, playpause, and your music app.

Audio sound quality is on par with the Bose and there's an EQ in the app to fine tune it but I just left it set to flat. Smart features with good ANC and a low price makes these hp’s a good consideration for MC riding.

Pros:
• No batterypack
• About 1/2 Bose’s price
• Auto calibration, auto mute, auto pause
• Smartphone app & Smart button

Cons:
• ANC only works when plugged in
• Earbuds almost same thickness as Bose

Buttons on the cord were a little hard to differentiate with gloves on but in all, it’s definitely worth a look if you’re in the market for a good ANC under your lid.

Uses Comply tips as well so know I will get a good seal - I suspect Westone tips will fit as well. I trust Pioneer build quality.

The fact I can charge the phone and use the earphones at the same time is the deciding factor for me.

Last edited:
Odd, I've used standard foamy earplugs for years with my Sena SMH10 (and RF-1100) and have zero issues at all. In fact, without the plugs, even at max volume I can barely hear things past 100km/h, but with plugs in, everything sounds the same from 20km/h up...I don't even need to run it at max volume either.

I usually wear 3M earplugs (32dB) to stop wind noise but at speed I can't hear much detail in the music from my 20S (extended volume on).?
I had the same problem and tried a number of solutions, custom earplugs (painfully uncomfortable after 4 hrs.) various disposable and permanent earplugs with varying degrees of success and comfort. Final configuation with my Sena 20 was MEE M6 earplugs with comfly tips. They are not the best earplugs on the market but they work for me. Judging from the behaviour of the other drivers they are pretty good because I react to the sound of emergency vehicles before most of the other vehicles around me. With the amount of wind noise that is made at 80+ kph I seriously doubt you will find any earplugs that will give you concert hall sound quality. The M6 sound pretty good to me but I'm not an audiophile, but why I like the M6s is their shape. Very little of the earplugs protrudes beyond my ear so the helmet lining can not press against the earplugs to cause any discomfort. The M6s are of sturdy construction with reinforced cable. The price isn't going to cause great concern if they good missing or get damaged and I have given mine considerable abuse with riding and in the workshop. Comfy tips improve the noise reduction so that it doesn't require full volume from the Sena for music and turn by turn instructions. I would go to any earplugs which has the same low profile with a reinforced cable and which Comfy tips will fit. Don't under estimate the effect wind noise has. We know how it can effect our hearing but it also adds stress which on a long ride will sap your energy and you will feel the affect.

I usually wear 3M earplugs (32dB) to stop wind noise but at speed I can't hear much detail in the music from my 20S (extended volume on). I'd rather not go back to headphones. Any other earplugs to try that would work better?

A friend and I used to use the 3m ones you get from Marks work Wharehouse and we both could hear music and talk ok over 100km/hr. I had a 20S and my friend the SMH10

Last edited:
I use 32db foam earplugs and I plug in my ipod to my Scala. The ipod volume is on maximum and I use the Scala to adjust the volume to the two speakers in my modular helmet. I listen to music at about mid range on the Scala volume scale and with the hardwire vs. bluetooth connection the battery range is more than enough for my long days which can be 10 to 11 hours. This setup preserves my iphone battery and wind and engine noise is about nil.

A friend and I used to use the 3m ones you get from Marks work Wharehouse and we both could hear music and talk ok over 100km/hr. I had a 20S and my friend the SMH10

Music actually sounds less tinny with the ear plugs in.

I use foam earplugs I pick up from Lowes or Rona, cannot remember which one. Buy a few hundred at a time in a box. I always have music playing in my helmet and never have issues hearing the music clearly even have some stand up comedy tracks and hear them fine as well. Schuberth C3 Pro with SRC pro and my Nexx x-d1 helmet with x-com both are plenty loud and clear.

Hoping the Pioneer Rayz works well as not certain how to get the SENA 20 attached to the C3 Pro and rather sell the set as kid no longer riding.

The Pioneer inline charging for the iphone makes for a very elegant solution and better sound than any earplug/speaker combination. Used a different balaclava today and that helped the wind noise with the Shures

I find a thin balaclava makes for easy on off with earphones in.

Went into our local hearing center and got some custom made silicone plugs specifically for listening to music in your helmet and blocking wind noise, but can hear traffic, motor etc.. They have a little canal running from the outside of the plug to the inside of your ear. They pour a mold of your inside ear, they fit perfectly. They are pricey, but last for years. Sena SMH10 and 10c. No issues with music volume or comfort.

I tried several off the shelf plugs but found they would pop out, not fit right, uncomfortable after a time. But would not have an issue listening to music on the sena SMH10 or 10c.

Went into our local hearing center and got some custom made silicone plugs specifically for listening to music in your helmet and blocking wind noise, but can hear traffic, motor etc.. They have a little canal running from the outside of the plug to the inside of your ear. They pour a mold of your inside ear, they fit perfectly. They are pricey, but last for years. Sena SMH10 and 10c. No issues with music volume or comfort.

I tried several off the shelf plugs but found they would pop out, not fit right, uncomfortable after a time. But would not have an issue listening to music on the sena SMH10 or 10c.

May I ask how much that cost ? There was a store advertising the same at the Spring Motorcycle Show. I think they wanted close to $80 for it.

At the time, I thought I could just use those cheap generic ear plugs like I always do. But they're becoming a nuisance. Don't fit properly.

Foam ear plugs always fell out of my ear for some reason, so my friend recommended silicon ear plugs that people use for swimming. I am not sure what the db is, but they work fantastic and I haven't had the issue since. They are $8 from Shoppers drug mart and you can use them approx 10 times each until they get dirty (the cleaner your ears the longer they will last).
lago!057800004653_B_C.png

They mold perfectly into your ear and you wont have any excess sticking out, so the Sena speakers will still sit flush. Once they are in properly, you will never even know your wearing them. Obviously the music is not going to be "as" clear, but at highway speeds you will be able to hear it MUCH better.

Last edited:
Don't really understand why people run through disposable ones, just cough up the $80 for moulded ones and call it a day.

Don't really understand why people run through disposable ones, just cough up the $80 for moulded ones and call it a day.
I keep losing them, that's my only concern. But I'm lean ng towards getting them, the generic ones don't fit well.

I keep losing them, that's my only concern. But I'm lean ng towards getting them, the generic ones don't fit well.

You can get a carrying case, should make it a little harder.

Any recommendations on where to purchase them ? I saw some custom ones from the US for $25 usd. Can set them yourself. Not sure how reliable and good these are.

https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-earplugs/

Would prefer ordering from Canadian stores.

IIRC one forum members wife can make them. Search and you may be able to find where it has been covered before.

FWIW, I use the 3M foam plugs with the fire on them. I find them completely comfortable, they work well and I toss them when they get gross. When I am on a long trip I don't want to be cleaning my hearing protection or worried about not having a backup.

80 bucks is a good deal. I payed double that going to the hearing center. If they are the same, the moto show is a better option.

Big Ear. Msg me or see me at a meetup, ive got a few cards.
Cool. Will talk to you at one of the meetups.

IIRC one forum members wife can make them. Search and you may be able to find where it has been covered before.

FWIW, I use the 3M foam plugs with the fire on them. I find them completely comfortable, they work well and I toss them when they get gross. When I am on a long trip I don't want to be cleaning my hearing protection or worried about not having a backup.

Thanks. Will check it out.

80 bucks is a good deal. I payed double that going to the hearing center. If they are the same, the moto show is a better option.

Actually I think $80 was a deal only if bought at the moto show. Might be more now. I'm trying to find their flyer.

Back
Top Bottom