Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
I usually wear 3M earplugs (32dB) to stop wind noise but at speed I can't hear much detail in the music from my 20S (extended volume on). I'd rather not go back to headphones. Any other earplugs to try that would work better?

Is the problem the plugs or the Senate being pushed hard? You can buy flat response earplugs but I doubt they will solve your problem (and any I have seen have much lower nrr).

If you want clean music and reduction of wind noise it's hard to beat IEM's. Personally I don't ride with them as I find they are too isolating from the world around me (with music playing you can't pick up any subtle noises that your bike or nearby cars are making).

The 20S doesn't go loud enough.

^^did you ever use the ER-6i's? If so how do those compare?
They look pretty good.

I had the same problem with my music and the Bluetooth communicator, so now I just use my Shure iem's as well.

I was tempted to try SENA with the earplugs - now won't bother.. just have to deal with the wind noise at speed tho the Schuberth tries.

If you don't have speakers in the earpockets of your help - that's a resonance cavity ....try packing 5-6 earplugs in that cavity. ( put them all in one small bag ).

I might try a different iem tip as I seem to recall the ones I used to use worked better but were pricey.

I was tempted to try SENA with the earplugs - now won't bother.. just have to deal with the wind noise at speed tho the Schuberth tries.

If you don't have speakers in the earpockets of your help - that's a resonance cavity ....try packing 5-6 earplugs in that cavity. ( put them all in one small bag ).

I might try a different iem tip as I seem to recall the ones I used to use worked better but were pricey.
I have the Sena SMH10 and there is no problems with wearing foam earplugs and listening to music or talking to my wife. There could be an issue if you don't place the speaker beside your ears though.

^^did you ever use the ER-6i's? If so how do those compare?
They look pretty good.

ER6is.... Don't even get me started!

They don't compare. Not even close.

Etymotic really screwed the pooch when they discontinued the ER6is. The new models have barrels that are too long, so they press into your ear canal when you put your helmet on. The ER6is were perfectly shaped. Still, sound quality is just as good, and you can swap out the triple flange tips with smaller ones to fit your ear better.

I've tried different IEMs and despite the barrel shortcomings (ironic pun intended) the current Etymotic offerings (MK5, MC5) are still my favorite.

I've tried the other models. Hf5 is too expensive, you don't really hear the fidelity differences at speed, and the barrel is just as long, but slightly skinnier.

The EtyKids was promising, but they just ship it with a smaller flange tip, same barrel length. Plus they limit the decibel output, so no good there.

Last edited:
Have a Cardo Scalarider. I use NoNoise plugs and can here music but its certainly not very loud. Cardo volume all the way up. I would be interested in trying earbuds.

I know well how painful wind noise is and permanent ear damage is a real concern. for someone who doesn't like wearing earplugs this is a great idea

ER6is.... Don't even get me started!

They don't compare. Not even close.

Etymotic really screwed the pooch when they discontinued the ER6is. The new models have barrels that are too long, so they press into your ear canal when you put your helmet on. The ER6is were perfectly shaped. Still, sound quality is just as good, and you can swap out the triple flange tips with smaller ones to fit your ear better.
Thanks. When I looked at the length of those MK5 barrels, they did look longer than the er-6i's and that is a concern for me. The Shure's are decent, but I'm not a fan of the wrap around cord that loops over the top of my ear because after a while it becomes annoying on long rides. Sound quality is good enough though.

I use the Scala G9 and find that with earplugs in, the volume is just not good enough for music. For phone calls and talking to other riders it's perfect, but not good enough for hearing the details of music. So earbuds it is.

Did you check the Sena help files for volume issues? I think you can set different volumes for different sources. Mine had the volume set low and so I altered it and it’s not too bad now.

I hear using earphones in both ears on a bike will be considered distracted driving this year. Beware.

I replaced the originals speakers with these ones. I think GP bikes carries them in stock also.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a scala G4. Music, mmmm only so so. Sound protection. None, as it come from small speakers in the helmet.

For the absolute ultimate sound protection. Expensive, Hell yes. Best you can get. Sometimes Bose have a special. Got mine here $100 off, providing it is white.
Bose Trafalgar and Steeles. Toronto Premium Outlets

That was about 2 years ago. I think you can give them a call and see it they have them on special $299 +tax. Yep, I said expensive. For me on long journeys great company. Run them through a small amp (Fiio) from my Gps with an Mp3 player.
Can you still hear emergency vehicles? Yes.

Bose Quiet Comfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones.

For Apple and Windows. (Works on my Garmin Zumo 660)

Noise cancelling tech is good stuff, but still overpriced. I have some over the ear bluetooth Sony's that i always bring on the plane with me, cuts out that engine drone and the idle chit chat of other passengers.

Noise cancelling tech is good stuff, but still overpriced. I have some over the ear bluetooth Sony's that i always bring on the plane with me, cuts out that engine drone and the idle chit chat of other passengers.

Couldn`t agree more. Way, way overpriced. YOLO.

Back
Top Bottom