Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs But Still Hear Sena Music

Hmmmph....got the Pioneer Rayz ...slick packaging and software.

Pioneer-s-Rayz-Plus-Might-Be-The-Best-Option-For-iPhone-7-Users-2.jpg

No bike to try them on :(

In for service ...

Very low profile. Excellent set up for charging phone and listening to the earphones ....cord is not generous length but well made...cord to button set is a tad tight for a FF helmet but I don't use the buttons much anyways.
Sound is good and plenty of headroom for volume.
Very well integrated with iPhone.

Noise cancelling is obvious tho it alters the eq a bit. Can't really assess until on the bike but real world feed back from owners who have the Bose as well is very encouraging.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...bose-qc20-noise-cancelling-earphones.1254115/

So i've looked online and really can't get a clear answer. Is it legal to wear earbuds under helmet in Ontario? I'm thinking it is.

I'm sure it cannot be.

Pioneer-s-Rayz-Plus-Might-Be-The-Best-Option-For-iPhone-7-Users-2.jpg

Initially was not impressed but then realized I need to calibrate the noise cancelling with the helmet on and in motion.

It's easy to reset and recalibrate and more impressed now.
There still low frequency air noise but the higher frequency stuff is damped right out and much easier to listen to Audible.

Only tried it at 100-100 kph and very satsified plus it's realllllllly low profile. Will try at slab speed soon.

What I’ve found is that the helmet makes a huge difference.

So i've looked online and really can't get a clear answer. Is it legal to wear earbuds under helmet in Ontario? I'm thinking it is.

I don't believe it technically is.. as I've had encounters with RIDE, Checkpoints etc and had my SENA working. They could possibly get you with the "modification" to helmet law, but I haven't heard of this happennig for headsets.. only Mohawks. lol

For anyone travelling to the USA be aware of their laws. Pleading Ignorance of the law won't likely help you much. See state laws here: https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/PrintLaws.html

Ride enough without ear protection and tinnitus will be your new friend.

It's one of those things although technically *illegal* it makes more sense to break the law. Tinted visors and go-pro helmets fall under that category as well.

Although I haven't tested it yet, the 30K and I guess the 20S both have an 'ambient' button on them that uses an exterior mic to pick up sound and then play it over the speakers. In theory this should make it easier to hear things with a helmet on vs no comms unit at all.

It's been my friend for about 10 years now. Horrible.

It's been my friend for about 10 years now. Horrible.

Sorry to hear...no pun there.

Many years ago i used to suffer with head colds and i will lose partial hearing, my Dad suffered from the same thing when he was younger(heredity thing i'm guessing) Just having a loss of hearing for a week or two was terrible, it's one on the reason i never ride without earplugs doesn't matter how short the ride is.

Sorry to hear...no pun there.
it's one on the reason i never ride without earplugs doesn't matter how short the ride is.

Yea I won't even get gas without putting in ear plugs. I've tried so many. Unfortunately the best ones mean I can't here my Cardo.

It's one of those things although technically *illegal* it makes more sense to break the law. Tinted visors and go-pro helmets fall under that category as well.

Earplugs and IEM's are entirely different animals. It is easy to get something that lowers the sound level while not breaking the law (hell, with very very few exceptions IEM's will provide less hearing protection than passive plugs). Choosing to break the law and play music through IEM's is entirely the users decision.

Earplugs and IEM's are entirely different animals. It is easy to get something that lowers the sound level while not breaking the law (hell, with very very few exceptions IEM's will provide less hearing protection than passive plugs). Choosing to break the law and play music through IEM's is entirely the users decision.

So to play devils advocate here, are deaf ppl not allowed to ride bikes?

So to play devils advocate here, are deaf ppl not allowed to ride bikes?

Here is the law in question which earphones or IEM's normally violate (if they are connected to a source of sound that is "hand-held").

78.1(2) "No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held electronic entertainment device or other prescribed device the primary use of which is unrelated to the safe operation of the motor vehicle"

You might be able to beat that section if your music device was mounted to the bike and you argue it isn't handheld. You could also argue that you were operating it in hands-free mode at the time (78.1(3)) but I'm not sure how that argument plays out in court. You are obviously not using voice control (unless you have a mic on a cable), but it is entirely plausible that you start the music playing and never touch the device until you are off the road and parked.

The more applicable law for someone that can't hear sirens is careless driving. If the province grants a license to a deaf person, it would be damn hard for them to win a case in court while trying to prosecute them for driving while deaf.

Not even close ......you have no need to touch anything and voice control allows you to skip songs and if a call comes in the phone stops the music and switches to the call handsfree if you set it that way. You can even ask directions to the closest Timmies.

No cop in their right mind would try to get a conviction for listening.
IF you have a phone mounted in a cradle and play with it - sure ...you can get nailed but not for listening.

You can always hear sirens.

Put the Pioneer Rayz through the paces at 140 indicated and I could not hear the audio book with the noise cancelling off and was easily clear to hear with it on. 110-120 indicated seems the sweet spot as the ambient noise changes hardly at all between 60 and 120 ....after that it starts to creep in.

It does not go away entirely but if you think of the burble of an open window in a car at 100 kph ...that's what the noise cancelling drops it down to. Lower frequencies are still present but anything in the midrange is gone. Voice is clear on Audible.
Was a truly enjoyable 250 km today.

me too, same timeframe roughly
comes and goes
wish I could understand and repeat what makes it go :(

Mine is always there. Though some things do make it worst. Prolong loud noises, excessive alcohol. Settles down after to just horrible.

Had the Pioneers dialed in yesterday and they really performed up to about 120 kph ....very impressive. At 130-140 indicated - I needed to up the volume to hear the audio book and ambient noise was pretty high ....BUT without the noise cancelling could not hear the audio book hardly at all. Turn NR on and the higher frequences quiet right down to make it possible to listen without excessive volume.
Wind rumble remains quite loud tho at higher highway speeds.

Had them on in the car and really took all noise away ....look to be excellent for flying.

I'm going to try and recalibrate them to the higher motorcycle speeds ....see what happens as they calibrate to the ambient. Right now they are dialed beautifully at 110-120 ...didn't even realize I was doing that coming down HWY 10 as it was so much quieter than usual with earphones in.
Not as quiet as -32 earplugs but I get bored with silence.

Back
Top Bottom