30 Y/0 New rider seeking reasonable insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

30 Y/0 New rider seeking reasonable insurance

Mbuxx

Hello.

I recently acquired my M1 and have the course booked for my m2 in a few weeks.

Was looking at purchasing a used softail of some sort or possibly a brand new sportster 48.

However insurance quotes ranged from 3800-7600.

I have 2 vehicles, my full g and a clean driving record with no claims.

I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a smaller cheap bike for a year if that’s what needs to be done.

For the record, riders plus was the cheapest @4800.

Just looking for advice on what to do for reasonable insurance as this isn’t really affordable.

my Dad does have a Harley I can ride whenever I’d like, but I don’t think that will help bring my insurance down in the future so that may be irrelevant

Smaller cc bikes are best to start out.

Perhaps a 650 or a shadow, or heck even the new honda rebels

Hello.

Was looking at purchasing a used softail of some sort or possibly a brand new sportster 48.

I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a smaller cheap bike for a year if that’s what needs to be done.

Just looking for advice on what to do for reasonable insurance as this isn’t really affordable.

my Dad does have a Harley I can ride whenever I’d like, but I don’t think that will help bring my insurance down in the future so that may be irrelevant
I'm getting a deja vu feeling reading this. I could've sworn I've read this same post before.

I would suggest calling the usual motorcycle insurance brokers - Dalton Timmis, Mitchel Whale, and Chris/Paul South for quotes. Also, try the co-operators.
Someone recently posted seeing a HUGE difference between quotes provided by Rider's plus and Co-operators for cruisers. Rider's plus quoted $4k per year, co=operators quoted $800 per year.

Here's the thread for reference:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?204726-Substantial-difference-in-quotes

If it doesn't work out, then 300-650cc is the way to go. Given you're 30, 650cc should be affordable insurance wise I think. Not sure where you're located though.

I'm getting a deja vu feeling reading this. I could've sworn I've read this same post before.

I would suggest calling the usual motorcycle insurance brokers - Dalton Timmis, Mitchel Whale, and Chris/Paul South for quotes. Also, try the co-operators.
Someone recently posted seeing a HUGE difference between quotes provided by Rider's plus and Co-operators for cruisers. Rider's plus quoted $4k per year, co=operators quoted $800 per year.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?204726-Substantial-difference-in-quotes

If it doesn't work out, then 300-650cc is the way to go. Given you're 30, 650cc should be affordable insurance wise I think. Not sure where you're located though.

Loll, that was me.

Rev ON

Hello.

I’m 24, got my M2, and have done the MSF course in 2017. This is my second season riding. My last/first bike was a Ninja 300, that Ridersplus quoted for $1,700/year. This year, I bought a Vulcan 900 and Ridersplus wanted to quote it at $4,000/year. I got $800/year from co-operators.

I posted a topic under the insurance forum asking if such a substantial difference in quotes was possible, and another rider told me that he was being quoted $3,000/year for his VTX1300 by Ridersplus, and Dalton Timmis got him for $500/year.

Shop around, and even when you get a really good quote, shop around again after two years because someone will be providing you with a better quote.

Rev ON

I'm with Wawaensa insurance and I pay $900 a year for an 04 GSX-R 600. I'm 33 and have had my M1 since I was 18 and followed the progression of licenses to get tmy full M... I think in 2009.

I heard Wawanesa won't insure you unless you've had your full M for 4 years. But give them a and see for yourself.

Wow thanks guys, gives me a little bit of hope here. Will take all of your advice and keep digging for quotes.

I'd Say look for something around 250cc-600/650ish to Start.
I'm 29, Single Male & Live outside Waterloo. Here's some Online Quotes from MW Assuming I got my M1 in April & M2 in June with the Course, 11000km/Year Pleasure use, $1Mil Liability & $500 Collision & Comprehensive Coverage, Standalone (No Multi-Line Discount).
2000 Suzuki Marauder GZ250 for $1600 (+13%=$1808 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1349757084&requestSource=b
Quoted $115/Month ($1377/Year) Through Echelon, $118/Month ($1412/Year) Through Aviva & $214/Month ($2565/Year) Through Intact

Going to something Bigger like a 2000 Honda Shadow VT600 (Not sure what Variant, Guessing VT600C VLX Shadow) for $2800 (+13%=$3164 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...00/1347127555?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Rates go up to $159/Month ($1911/Year) through Echelon, $165/Month ($1975/Year) Through Aviva & $265/Month ($3175/Year) Through Intact

Jumping up to a Liter Bike with a 4th Gen/GL 1500 1992 Honda Goldwing for $3250 (+13%=$3672.5, Say $3673 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...92/1349190765?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Only Quote it would give me is $353/Month ($4238/Year) Through Echelon, If I Drop Collision & Comprehensive for Liability Only then Wawanesa & Intact Becomes opened up as Options with it being $170/Month ($2042/Year) Through Wawanesa, $271/Month ($3248/Year) Through Echelon & $412/Month ($4939/Year) Through Intact.

Considering You (OP) Appear to be a Harley Guy, I Had a Look for the Cheapest Softail in My Area, a 100th Anniversary Edition 2003 Softail (Guessing FXSTDSE Softail Deuce Special Edition) for $8500 (+13%=$9605 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-...il/1339534384?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Only Full Coverage Quotes are from Echelon & Intact, $340/Month ($4082/Year) Through Echelon & $575/Month ($6903/Year) Through Intact. Dropping to Liability Only they are Still the Only Options with Rates Dropping to $267/Month ($3205/Year) Through Echelon & $517/Month ($6206/Year) Through Intact.

Last edited:
Your issue has a lot to do with the fact you've chosen a Harley as your first bike. High repair costs and high theft rates.

Get some quotes for some comparable metrics instead and you'll probably discover that many things (including insurance) are much cheaper.

In a few years your rates for an HD may become more palatable, but HD's will ALWAYS cost more to insure than a metric.

I'd Say look for something around 250cc-600/650ish to Start.
I'm 29, Single Male & Live outside Waterloo. Here's some Online Quotes from MW Assuming I got my M1 in April & M2 in June with the Course, 11000km/Year Pleasure use, $1Mil Liability & $500 Collision & Comprehensive Coverage, Standalone (No Multi-Line Discount).
2000 Suzuki Marauder GZ250 for $1600 (+13%=$1808 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1349757084&requestSource=b
Quoted $115/Month ($1377/Year) Through Echelon, $118/Month ($1412/Year) Through Aviva & $214/Month ($2565/Year) Through Intact

Going to something Bigger like a 2000 Honda Shadow VT600 (Not sure what Variant, Guessing VT600C VLX Shadow) for $2800 (+13%=$3164 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...00/1347127555?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Rates go up to $159/Month ($1911/Year) through Echelon, $165/Month ($1975/Year) Through Aviva & $265/Month ($3175/Year) Through Intact

Jumping up to a Liter Bike with a 4th Gen/GL 1500 1992 Honda Goldwing for $3250 (+13%=$3672.5, Say $3673 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...92/1349190765?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Only Quote it would give me is $353/Month ($4238/Year) Through Echelon, If I Drop Collision & Comprehensive for Liability Only then Wawanesa & Intact Becomes opened up as Options with it being $170/Month ($2042/Year) Through Wawanesa, $271/Month ($3248/Year) Through Echelon & $412/Month ($4939/Year) Through Intact.

Considering You (OP) Appear to be a Harley Guy, I Had a Look for the Cheapest Softail in My Area, a 100th Anniversary Edition 2003 Softail (Guessing FXSTDSE Softail Deuce Special Edition) for $8500 (+13%=$9605 Purchase Price): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-...il/1339534384?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Only Full Coverage Quotes are from Echelon & Intact, $340/Month ($4082/Year) Through Echelon & $575/Month ($6903/Year) Through Intact. Dropping to Liability Only they are Still the Only Options with Rates Dropping to $267/Month ($3205/Year) Through Echelon & $517/Month ($6206/Year) Through Intact.
Could you lay off your shift key? Reading your post is like having a seizure. You don't need to capitalize every first letter of (almost) every word.

Could you lay off your shift key? Reading your post is like having a seizure. You don't need to capitalize every first letter of (almost) every word.
lol when I first read his post, I wasn't bothered by it. Didn't even notice the capitalized letters. But now that you've pointed it out, it's all I see. Painful to read.

Funny how the mind works

I saw that wall o text, didnt even bother to read it

just want to let everyone know so far it’s the co operators for the win. Quoted $1344. I do have to switch both my vehicles over and the auto insurance is a couple hundred more then what I am paying now. However the bike insurance is a couple grand less then any quotes I’ve gotten so far so it’s definitely worth it.

second place was Mitchel Whale $3192.

just want to let everyone know so far it’s the co operators for the win. Quoted $1344. I do have to switch both my vehicles over and the auto insurance is a couple hundred more then what I am paying now. However the bike insurance is a couple grand less then any quotes I’ve gotten so far so it’s definitely worth it.

second place was Mitchel Whale $3192.
Nice! Glad it worked out

Just want to give another update, one of the forum sponsors, Mathew from allstate has crushed all other insurance quotes. Whatever you do, give that guy a ring!

I'm brand new with M1 (done my rti course, waiting on m2) and Dalton Timmis, and Mitchel whale all gave me slightly higher rates than my own Dejaurdins insurance.

M1
Brand new R3
No record
32 years old
Full coverage and extra medical
1100 a year (1200 until my m2 comes in)

All other brokers and companies were around 1200-1400 or didn't want to insure me...

Back
Top Bottom