Is it too soon to get a SS (600cc) bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it too soon to get a SS (600cc) bike?

toolgt4u

Hi GTAM,

Long time lurker first time posting. I currently have my M2 and have a KTM RC 390. I have been thinking for a while now to switch over to 600cc SS maybe a cbr600rr/r6/gsxr.

I wanted to know :

1) Is there an Insurance company that will insure me within a reasonable rate (hopefully 1000-2000/YR)
2) Should I hold onto the 390 for 1 more year and then try to see if the market shifts next year?
3) When would it be a good idea to make the move from the 390 to a 600?

Some info about me:

1)Got my M1 last year M2 a month or so after
2)Age:26 single male (will be married in Sep)
3)Location: Brampton
4)Insurance company: The Personal (paying 102/month for me and my brother (19yr) full coverage)
5) 0 tickets/moving violations/accidents

Also note its a stand alone policy.

I am open to any other advise/comments/criticism .

Thanks.

expect to pay 4-5k

SS doesnt become affordable till over 30, full M and several years of experience. Even then being in brampton, it wont be affordable.

Hi GTAM,

600cc SS maybe a cbr600rr/r6/gsxr.

3) When would it be a good idea to make the move from the 390 to a 600? NO unless you value money

Some info about me:

4)Insurance company: The Personal (paying 102/month for me and my brother (19yr) full coverage)

Because of the reasons i've underlined
Good luck and get your lube ready for insurance

I'd say enjoy your smaller bike for a season or 2 more. My rates dropped drastically after 3-5 years of having my motorcycle license, if i didnt have tickets on my file, i'd consider moving up in cc but i don't REALLY need it.

I'd say enjoy your smaller bike for a season or 2 more. My rates dropped drastically after 3-5 years of having my motorcycle license, if i didn't have tickets on my file, i'd consider moving up in cc but i don't REALLY need it.
It's a big jump from a 40HP single to a 115hp SS bike - you're almost triple the power on a bike that's almost the same size -- there is some danger in that.

There are intermediate bikes that are a nice step up in power and size, less hairy, more stable then an SS. You might find them insurable in your budget, no way for an SS. Think about the 650cc bikes: SV650, Ninja 650, CBR650. Ride one for a few years until you've mastered the bike then move up.

expect to pay 4-5k

SS doesnt become affordable till over 30, full M and several years of experience. Even then being in brampton, it wont be affordable.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have a second home in Toronto. Perhaps, I should insure it with that as the primary address?

I'd say enjoy your smaller bike for a season or 2 more. My rates dropped drastically after 3-5 years of having my motorcycle license, if i didnt have tickets on my file, i'd consider moving up in cc but i don't REALLY need it.

I guess that is my best option to build my skill and experience some more and get my M ASAP and then perhaps try again....

It's a big jump from a 40HP single to a 115hp SS bike - you're almost triple the power on a bike that's almost the same size -- there is some danger in that.

There are intermediate bikes that are a nice step up in power and size, less hairy, more stable then an SS. You might find them insurable in your budget, no way for an SS. Think about the 650cc bikes: SV650, Ninja 650, CBR650. Ride one for a few years until you've mastered the bike then move up.
What he said ^^^^

Consider also the naked bikes, fz07, er6n, duke 690. they kinda look cool too.

i don't know if you sat on the 600cc bikes you're considering but the positioning is quite different (especially the r6 lol) to a point where depending on your height, it might be cramped/uncomfortable. :)

Thanks for this I really like the SS look and will have a look at some of the bikes you have suggested how much on avg do they sell for (second hand with a few 1000 kms on it)??

What he said ^^^^

Consider also the naked bikes, fz07, er6n, duke 690. they kinda look cool too.

i don't know if you sat on the 600cc bikes you're considering but the positioning is quite different (especially the r6 lol) to a point where depending on your height, it might be cramped/uncomfortable. :)

I actually haven't sat on any of the 3 I mentioned. I do have a couple friends who do have them maybe I will ask them to let me sit on them...I'll also check the other bikes you have mentioned here. Appreciate this!

Just to give a counterpoint:

I went from a GS500F (40HP~) at 23 to a tuned GSXR750 (130HP~) at 25. While I still have a lot to learn in terms of how to operate at my maximum potential, I have zero regrets doing that.

I also know of 2 nutcases that started on 600SS bikes and are, objectively, far above the average rider in terms of skill (we've had friendly races on the local tracks before.)

As for insurance........you are screwed lol

Last edited:
油井緋色;2562047 said:
Just to give a counterpoint:

I went from a GS500F (40HP~) at 23 to a tuned GSXR750 (130HP~) at 25. While I still have a lot to learn in terms of how to operate at my maximum potential, I have zero regrets doing that.

I also know of 2 nutcases that started on 600SS bikes and are, objectively, far above the average rider in terms of skill (we've had friendly races on the local tracks before.)

As for insurance........you are screwed lol
If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay at 25 for insurance and whom are you insured with?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I’m 26, new rider, m2, live in Burlington.
I’m paying 3700 with liability only on a GSXR-600

Like the others said, expect to pay around 4-5 grand

edit - I’m paying 3100 liability only with Facility. My policy just updated.
I just added theft and its only an extra hundred or so

Last edited:
Try WAwanesa or something like that lol

I'm 33 clean record... full M and had my M1 since I was 18.

I pay $73 a month for an 04 GSXR 600.

age, how long you've had your license, record, and where you live all take into the price.

Also, its liability only.

Try WAwanesa or something like that lol

I'm 33 clean record... full M and had my M1 since I was 18.

I pay $73 a month for an 04 GSXR 600.

age, how long you've had your license, record, and where you live all take into the price.

Also, its liability only.

I believe wawanesa requires 4 years of full M before they insure you?

Don't get so hung up on an SS bike! There are other bikes (standards/nakeds) that are just as capable, just as fast on the street and are far cheaper to insure. A Street Triple 675 comes to mind as one such bike that is miles above your skill level (no offense) and more power than anyone needs on the street. IF you want to do track days buy an SS for just that and ride a naked on the street and save the $$$. I can't understand why anyone would pay 2-4K insurance per year to ride a bike. In 2 to 3 years you have spent enough to buy a whole new bike just in insurance.

A bike does not make you a better rider. There are skilled riders that could smoke any SS rider on the street on twisties on your KTM. Check out this guys video I can't agree with him more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wie0CVTDH9g

Don't get so hung up on an SS bike! There are other bikes (standards/nakeds) that are just as capable, just as fast on the street and are far cheaper to insure. A Street Triple 675 comes to mind as one such bike that is miles above your skill level (no offense) and more power than anyone needs on the street. IF you want to do track days buy an SS for just that and ride a naked on the street and save the $$$. I can't understand why anyone would pay 2-4K insurance per year to ride a bike. In 2 to 3 years you have spent enough to buy a whole new bike just in insurance.

A bike does not make you a better rider. There are skilled riders that could smoke any SS rider on the street on twisties on your KTM. Check out this guys video I can't agree with him more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wie0CVTDH9g

Because they look cool, most of these are younger males with what they believe is disposable income.

Hi GTAM,

Long time lurker first time posting. I currently have my M2 and have a KTM RC 390. I have been thinking for a while now to switch over to 600cc SS maybe a cbr600rr/r6/gsxr.

I wanted to know :

1) Is there an Insurance company that will insure me within a reasonable rate (hopefully 1000-2000/YR)
2) Should I hold onto the 390 for 1 more year and then try to see if the market shifts next year?
3) When would it be a good idea to make the move from the 390 to a 600?

Some info about me:

1)Got my M1 last year M2 a month or so after
2)Age:26 single male (will be married in Sep)
5) 0 tickets/moving violations/accidents

I am open to any other advise/comments/criticism .

Thanks.

Nah man :(. Not for standalone and definitely not in Brampton. I pay 3k/yr, same profile as you but a couple of years older and in Toronto (where insurance is usually cheaper than Brampton). You're probably looking at 3k-4k if I had to guess.

As for the bike, you'll be fine going from the 390 to the SS. It's a big jump in power but be disciplined and manage your risk...

I don't think you'll be able to see sub 2k premiums on an SS before your 30s.

Back
Top Bottom