Best type of bike for long distance commuting/touring? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best type of bike for long distance commuting/touring?

I love my 1500 Goldwing but at 900 pounds and over a meter wide it wouldn't be my choice for threading through downtown traffic. For 500 plus miles a day it's great.

personally I think adv bikes are the best and most versatile bikes out there. Upright seating is comfortable for long riding. Lots of options for luggage and basically turning your bike into a pack mule if you wanted. Most are quick and sporty as well not leaving you really craving anything more speed wise, at least with the bigger litter adv bikes. If you do need more then a sport bike is probably what you really are after.

I use my bike for everything from grocery shopping to touring, handles it all well and the big bonus I do not have to stop when the pavement does. Gravel roads are fun and really enjoyable as they usually have much less traffic on it so you can move at your own pace and enjoy some really serene locations.

Just a reminder

New to the forum, new to motorcycles as well, just got my m2 today.
commuting/touring?

OP is a new rider primarily commuting but interested to tour...a litre + bike is not a practical recommendation IMNSHO

The upright seating is easier in traffic - intermediate CC for gas mileage and lower insurance cost while still able to solo tour and lots of storage options available. Low weight easier for a new rider.

Regardless of age, if you are a new rider insurance will be steep on any bike so you'll want to keep the displacement down. I am with MacDoc and others and recommend the CB500x. I have been riding 20yrs and have toured extensively on a Bandit 600 and would have zero problems with jumping on one for the next 8yrs or so (I tend to keep my bikes 8-12yrs it seems) and mile that sucker out! It has plenty of power for street riding, great ergos, great handling, excellent luggage options and it is an affordable bike and insurance friendly. I had one on my short list last year when I was considering a new bike. FWIW I did end up on an ST1300 but that was mostly due to me wading into the LD world and having always wanted a large ST bike. Plus, I spent the first 12yrs of my riding career with a shaft driven motorcycle and when I switched to my Bandit in 2010, having to worry about chain maintenance was the bane of my riding life. Others don't mind it at all. Now I have shaft drive again and can't see myself ever going back.

But seriously, google the CB500x and see the reviews, but focus on the actual owner reviews. I hate it when magazine editors demo bikes. They are so spoiled from riding the latest and greatest bikes in the best locales around the world so when they demo a real-world bike for newer riders or who are on a budget, they sound really unenthusiastic even when it is a very good bike.

Bikes and editors ...one reason I was so surprised at the enthusiasm for the CBX500.....70 mpg yet still so much fun to ride and so versatile.

I do miss a shaft drive but the lower weight and effortless power on the CBF1000 versus the porkier and slower NT700v I had for a few months has me sticking with chain.

Big thanks to all of you! I am really appreciated that so many people put thoughts into my question and it is a big help. I actually never thought about adv bikes; now that I dig more into this type, I like what I found. Both cb500x and v-storm look amazing to me. I will do more homework and go to a dealer to sit on one. Again thank you all for your time and replies, will let you know what my final pick is in the future.

Last edited:
Big thanks to all of you! I am really appreciated that so many people put thoughts into my question and it is a big help. I actually never thought about adv bikes; now that I dig more into this type, I like what I found. Both cb500x and v-storm look amazing to me. I will do more homework and go to a dealer to sit on one. Again thank you all for your time and replies, will let you know what my final pick is in the future.

I have had three V-Stroms. A 2006 DL650 that I rode for 202,000+ km, a 2012 DL650 that I sold at 139,500 km when I bought my 2015 DL1000 V-Strom. The DL1000 has just short of 115,000 km on it.

Adv Bikes are pretty much universal bikes that you can do whatever you want with. The upright seating position can make for all-day comfort. The same position helps you see your way through traffic when commuting. The generally longer suspension travel means you don't spend a lot of time worrying about less than perfect roads or gravel, etc. Most generally look better when are not perfectly clean. You can pile tons of crap on them with no problem. I have a blast in the twisties! They are great bikes for riding.

Downfall is they are tall. (Some people think tall means top-heavy but are quite different things.) The Honda ST 1300 Sport-Touring bike I rented in 2012 and rode through California and Arizona was, in my not so humble opinion, top heavy. V-Stroms are tall but I don't think are Top heavy. Of course this is subjective and I'm about 6'2" and around the 240 lb mark so even at my advancing age I have no issue. I agree the Honda CB500x is a great bike. A friend that has one likes it a lot but misses highway power. (He previously had an older V-Strom 1000.) A V-Strom 650 has no issue running all day, multiple days fully loaded at 130 to 150 kph in temperatures ranging from 130 to 150 kph. ( I have done it several times.)

I ride about 50,000 km per year. My commute is about 140 to 160 km round trip depending on which route I take. I had about a month of non riding this calendar year but still have over 6,000 km since Jan 1.

I am going on an 8,000 to 10,000 ride starting in a couple of weeks. The first few days will have some longer mileage interstate days. (Just to make sure that I have no issue with long days this past Sunday I rode to Montreal and back just to make sure I was comfy slabbing on the superhighways. 987 km, no issue.) Main reason is to visit my daughter in eastern Arizona plus work training in Albuquerque. After those likely heading north through Colorado and up to the Black Hills of South Dakota. It's not the first long trip I have taken on this or my previous Stroms.

Someone mentioned the Goldwing. I had the extreme pleasure of spending about 4 days riding from Calgary through the mountains in BC and back on a pretty much brand new 2010 Honda Gold Wing 1800. I can't think of a finer bike for long distance cruising, in particular if you were doing it two up and loaded down maybe with a trailer. It is fast as hell with effortless torque at any speed. Very heavy but the weight pretty much disappears when moving. I would want to use it as a day-to-day commuter though.

There is often a debate about cruisers being comfy or not. A few years ago my wife and I flew to Phoenix and were going to rent a couple of bikes. The company were were going to rent from completely dropped the ball and we ended going to Eagle Riders to get bikes. I rented a Harley Road King and my wife a Sportster. We did about 1,200 miles/2,000 in Arizona and New Mexico. The road King was extremely comfortable! Probably the most comfy factory seat I had ever sat on! (My wife, on the Sportster, had similar comments about the seat on the Sportster.) I think cruisers can be very comfy, it depends on how they are setup. I suspect most aren't setup for comfort but rather for looks.

Ultimately there is no right or wrong. I think Sport bikes aren't that comfy but a rider here on GTS Motorcycle took a CBR600RR across the USA a few years ago and seemed comfy with it.

..Tom

New rider? +1 for the CB500x. Can still do lite touring and as a new rider it should do fine until you get more experience...over a couple of seasons. By then you will have a better idea of what you like and the experience to handle a bigger or more powerful bike.

The best hop-on-bike-and-go-anywhere is the old "standard" bike and its modern "naked" equivalents.

Sport bikes are too uncomfortable. Full touring bikes are too big and heavy. Cruisers have a compromised riding position (feet forward = no good), and frequently the suspension is garbage.

The Honda CB500X is a great choice. I don't care for the CBR500; the sporty appearance promises something that the underwhelming engine doesn't deliver on. But the torquey and user-friendly (but not particularly powerful) engine seems right at home in the CB500X. I'd have no reservations about going cross-country on one.

I've got a trip coming up that involves a rental bike in Europe. My choice ... BMW F800R. I've had the F800ST on a similar trip before, and it was great in that application. (The R is the same bike but without fairings and I think it has chain drive instead of belt.)

The Yamaha FZ07-FZ09-FJ09 etc are also great choices.

Never have i seen anyone so succinctly and accurately describe a bike....

I also ride a CB500X. I commute about 50km each way to work on it. It revs high at highway speeds which always makes me try to shift into 7th and tops out at around 160kmh. Other than that, I can't see how it's not a capable tourer/commuter especially for a beginner.
Someone told me it goes higher than that.... :rolleyes:

He may have found out when he was trying to keep up with some SS on twisties.

I currently have modified my sprockets for more acceleration/torque and i make at least 160 so i can guarantee you that stock, it goes higher.

Also i do remember the ghost 7th speed im always looking for, i found that eventually i got used to it and what was "normal" revving for it...but then when i get in my car (standard) i tend to rev too high ahahha

Versys 650 might also warrant a look. More capable than the CB500 stuff but still manageable weight, size etc.

Yeah but 477 cc on the CB500x = lower insurance and better gas mileage.
Mine you if OP is larger guy ...Versys or Strom works ....

I had the CB500F for 3 years/18k of riding and it's a great bike for your needs. I primarily commuted on it plus did some light touring when the time allowed.

I found that cruising at 120-130kph was no problem on the bike, however a major downfall was the wind blast due to zero wind protection. My CBR250 was better and less tiring on the highway. At 5'7" I end up purchasing a tall windscreen which really helped but still made me tired.

The CB500X is a great bike and would recommend it to anyone, even the CB500R as long as you understand it's not as sporty as it looks, but will provide much better wind protection.

I rode both the Honda CB500X and 750 Shadow from Toronto to PEI and Cabot Trail. I prefer the CB500X for comfort and versatility.

I never have any issues with power on the highways. It would be nice to have more power, but it is nicer for me to keep my insurance lower and not have any add risk to my already chaotic commute through the GTA.

Versys 650 might also warrant a look. More capable than the CB500 stuff but still manageable weight, size etc.
Yep. I love my versys. I'm on my fourth season with it. There's a reason it was bike of the year, it does everything you ask of it really well.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have to say the adventure touring segment is really starting to appeal to me. I really enjoy my cruiser, but at times I feel limited to where I would like to go, or most of the time I get myself into a spot I shouldn't be. Like the other day north at the end of dufferin, it turns into dirt and gravel, which sucked for me. Then this rider shows up on a, I am guessing, adventure bike, and blows past me.

From what I read so far you can ride all day, good gas mileage, carry enough stuff, and still haul ***. I won't say I will dump my cruiser tomorrow, but I think this segment is something I will consider in the near future.

Can the CB500x also do off road, dirt gravel out of the box? Or would something like African Twin or Triumph Tiger be more suited.

Can the CB500x also do off road, dirt gravel out of the box? Or would something like African Twin or Triumph Tiger be more suited.

The advantages (besides the obvious displacement/power bump) that the big ADV bikes have over the CB500X are longer suspension travel, higher clearance and a 19" wheel in the front, neither of which you'll need if you're just doing hard-packed gravel roads. Where you'll actually need these things is if you're trying to ride over rocks bigger than the size of your fist, and the higher clearance is going to help if you're trying to get over logs and boulders.

The reason why the ADV bike blew past your cruiser is mainly because of the seating position. With your feet out in front of you, you're pretty much stuck in one seating position, so when the tires move around on the loose surface, you're basically a passenger.

If you're sitting upright with your feet beneath you, you have the option of moving around, shifting your weight forward/backwards/sideways on the bike to compensate for the loss in traction. Additionally, if the surface gets too gnarly, you can also stand up on the pegs when the bike moves beneath you. That way, the pivot point becomes your feet, not your butt, making you feel more stable, but also giving you more control. Again, if it's just hard packed gravel, standing on the pegs is not needed.

I've ridden in so many developing countries where you see the western ADV guy riding their 1200cc bike on hard packed gravel, standing up on the pegs. Then a local guy zooms past him on a 125cc Pulsar with his wife and two kids sitting behind him, and they've all got their butts planted on the seat. They always give the ADV guy a puzzled look like, "What's the heck is wrong with his seat?"

If those tiny 125cc street bikes can do it, the CB500X will do just fine.

Last edited:
Check out a used Ninja 650. Pre-2016 models are far more upright seating. Nimble around town, able to go for a 500km day.

02d10d7b2265d0aa9a53fcb54cc838e2_zpsnvmf3zgm.jpg

Picture in Port Loring

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom