Bike security. Full alarm system, disc lock, or what? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike security. Full alarm system, disc lock, or what?

HonDerpa500r

Looking into getting some sort of security for my bike since an alarm system is cheaper than getting theft insurance added onto my policy.

Just wondering what everyone recommends?

Where do you park it?Condo?

Didn't you buy a super sport? And you don't want theft insurance?!

If the pros really want your bike they will get it.

Didn't you buy a super sport? And you don't want theft insurance?!

If the pros really want your bike they will get it.

The only place I leave it right now that has a chance of it getting stolen is the gym. But my town is fairly safe, and the gym has a bunch of cameras.

Most security measures can be defeated in seconds. Theft insurance is much more cost effective than a security system that cost you hundreds and gets stolen with the bike.

If you really want to protect it yourself, a huge chain through the wheels and around an immovable object is your best bet but it will be expensive and annoying to use.

EDIT:
Cameras don't help you. Most bikes get lifted into the back of stolen vans. You will have great video of your bike disappearing in 10 seconds.

I’ll have to raise the value of my bike on my policy then. Or deal with losing a couple grand if/when my bike does get stolen

I agree, cameras will do NOTHING for you, your bike will be tossed in a stolen van and stripped down to parts, before the police finish taking the report. GET theft insurance!!

If you under reported the value of your bike and have collision on it then you'll be screwed IF you need to make a claim, in fact insurer "can" refuse to honor the policy as you made a "material misrepresentation." Unless your bike is stupidly expensive, (like $100,000), then the difference in premiums for a $5,000 as apposed to a $10,000 would be VERY minimal. Which the insurers call INSURANCE FRAUD. good luck getting another "reasonable" policy if your black listed for that.

If your town is "pretty safe" then obviously you don't need theft insurance NOR do you need an alarm system, after all, the town is "pretty safe." Nt even sure why you have an alarm on your house and garage... See the flaw in your logic?

Last edited:
see other hidden cost savings of keeping the 500r :p hahahah

I agree, cameras will do NOTHING for you, your bike will be tossed in a stolen van and stripped down to parts, before the police finish taking the report. GET theft insurance!!

If you under reported the value of your bike and have collision on it then you'll be screwed IF you need to make a claim, in fact insurer "can" refuse to honor the policy as you made a "material misrepresentation." Unless your bike is stupidly expensive, (like $100,000), then the difference in premiums for a $5,000 as apposed to a $10,000 would be VERY minimal. Which the insurers call INSURANCE FRAUD. good luck getting another "reasonable" policy if your black listed for that.

If your town is "pretty safe" then obviously you don't need theft insurance NOR do you need an alarm system, after all, the town is "pretty safe." Nt even sure why you have an alarm on your house and garage... See the flaw in your logic?

My concern isn’t my town, it’s when I’m out other places like downtown hamilton.
I didn’t mean to undervalue my bike. I set up the policy a couple weeks before buying the bike with the intention of only paying 4500, which is what I told the insurance company, but ended up buying one for 6200 instead.
Regardless. I’ve contacted my broker and she said they messed up on my insurance and I’m gunna be paying less than what I am right now. So if all works out well, I won’t notice an increase when I add theft onto my insurance.

Theft insurance is the best way to go.

Alarms, video surveillance, etc aren't much of a deterrent. You'll get a 10 second video of a couple of people lifting your bike into a van with stolen license plates while the alarm goes off. Additionally, alarms are a nuisance, because they drain the battery. One of my bikes dates back to an era when one of the common insurance companies mandated that an alarm had to be installed. It killed the bike's battery in two years. The alarm is no longer there.

Locks will slow down and possibly deter casual thieves but all of them can be broken or cut in seconds ... or the bike can be lifted into a van complete with its lock, to be dealt with later.

Best theft deterrent is a locked garage with no indication that there is a motorcycle inside it. And don't rely on the garage door latch alone, or on a garage door opener in a closed position alone. A cheap garage door is vulnerable to a swift kick. The locks and latches that come on even the premium garage doors are vulnerable. Garage door openers have a release cable that can be circumvented. A good quality garage door with no windows that is blocked from opening even if the latch or opener is circumvented (and there are lots of ways of blocking a garage door from being opened) will slow the thieves down.

Don't forget security on the house that the garage is attached to.

If you are going on an errand where the bike will be parked unattended and possibly unwatched (dinner, shopping, gym), take the car.

I called my broker. She said good new, my premium is lower than what they had originally quoted. My insurance went down $600 and I added theft to the policy and increased my bikes value to what I paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom