Looking to rent garage space | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to rent garage space

stormcat

I'm looking for garage space to rent for my two bikes and a smaller toolbox, with enough room to work on them as well (general maintenance stuff). One is my track bike, so it would need space all the time. The other is a street bike, and so would be coming and going.

Preferably in the Brampton area.

Thanks,
~S...

Moderators: If this is in the wrong area of the forum, please let me know and I'll move it.

I thought about that, but they're generally really expensive and don't have electrical outlets. I'll look into some near me anyway. Thanks.

I thought about that, but they're generally really expensive and don't have electrical outlets. I'll look into some near me anyway. Thanks.

Any of those "renting garage space" businesses I've seen are super expensive, probably due to the cost of insurance and stuff.

Yeah. I'm hoping someone on here has a double garage and they're only in need of half of it, so I can rent the other half. It's worth a try.

Yeah. I'm hoping someone on here has a double garage and they're only in need of half of it, so I can rent the other half. It's worth a try.

The storage unit will have a light in it. You can go to the hardware store and buy a screw into light socket thingy with a receptacle on the side of it for ~$3.
I would never leave my bike in a strangers garage...neighbors / friends / family in your area may be a better choice? ask, you never know.

OP....I've been thinking about this setup for awhile
pretty hard to find the right place that is not a fortune in rent
good luck

I think a 10x10 drive up unit is around $300, do you really expect a stranger to give you full access to his / her garage for less than that?

I think a 10x10 drive up unit is around $300, do you really expect a stranger to give you full access to his / her garage for less than that?

I was thinking the same thing. I have extra room in my two car garage and was thinking hmm how much would you charge but then I thought they'd have access anytime to my garage and all my tools and everything else in there... Not a good idea unless I knew them.

$300/month? or year?

I rent an 8x15 drive up unit for $200 in Markham, Brampton should be cheaper

It would be great for what you want to do but there are a few issues. There aren't any power outlets, you can get the bulb to power outlet convertor, but I'm way too scared about a possible electrical fire. The wiring to the bulb in my unit is questionable. Lighting is also terrible, would be difficult to work on the bike.

I sure has hell wouldn't be comfortable stealing more than 8 amps from a light socket (and preferably less than 5).

If he has a track bike, hopefully he has a genny for tire warmers and can use that to power the garage.

Depending how they roughed in the wires in the storage unit, you can get away with 12 amps or 16 amps assuming you're the only one there. Standard minimum would be a 14 gauge wire connected to a 15 amp breaker but this wouldn't be ideal in a commercial unit as it would cost more money in materials to keep running new circuits.. Thus a 20 amp breaker 12 gauge wire is typically used. Just avoid using power tools that have 13+ amps and you should be okay.

Best bet though is to invest in power tools that's battery operated... Milwaukee is pretty good because they keep using the same battery even they make new products.

I wouldn't trust anyone in my garage too if i had to give full access.. Way too much tools and personal toys

$300/month? or year?

I rented a 5' X 10' storage unit in brampton near hwy 410/steeles for $100 (month) a few years ago. 24 hour access with gated security and an alarm for the unit. I kept a couple bikes there. I did bike maintenance and never had an issue-I say this because the contract clearly said NO mechanical work. but they were cool about it and I was low key. They basically looked the other way, and I was neat and quiet for the most part. Using electrical from the light wasn't a problem for my trickle charger, drill, trouble light etc....no grinders or compressors lol.

If you need a place to do extensive mechanical work a storage unit is not your best option...

Last edited:
I rented a workshop space from My Storage at Derry and Bramalea a few years ago. The workshop units are 10x20, you can drive up to them, heated floors and they have electrical outlets. I found them to be great units and you are actually allowed to use them as a workshop. Not cheap though. You also have to pay extra for the electricity you use plus more if you want the optional insurance.

https://my-storage.ca/self-storage/mississauga-on

Whoever rents you space would also be wise to add the appropriate liability to their homeowners insurance. I have no idea how much that would cost or if it's even possible but if some guy's working on his track bike in my garage, I'd want to be covered for potential damages.

Whoever rents you space would also be wise to add the appropriate liability to their homeowners insurance. I have no idea how much that would cost or if it's even possible but if some guy's working on his track bike in my garage, I'd want to be covered for potential damages.

There was a fire / explosion in Mississauga last weekend with two dead. A friend lives nearby and commented that the people living there used the garage to barbecue and someone had go karts and accessories stored there as well. Possibly fuel. Insurers see red flags with makeshift premises and coverage won't be cheap. Worse still they cancel you and you are blacklisted.

There was a fire / explosion in Mississauga last weekend with two dead. A friend lives nearby and commented that the people living there used the garage to barbecue and someone had go karts and accessories stored there as well. Possibly fuel. Insurers see red flags with makeshift premises and coverage won't be cheap. Worse still they cancel you and you are blacklisted.
I thought it was just cobwebs blocking the nozzle for the bbq

Back
Top Bottom