Small cc cruisers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small cc cruisers?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
So unfortunately I walked into Ready Honda yesterday on my way from a walk with the kid and dammit that was a mistake! So many nice bikes that I want to get back to it! LoL

I really liked the new Honda Rebel 300 but at 5800$+hst thats way too much for my budget. Would love one closer to 4k but nothing out there unfortunately. The 500 is at about 8k almost, and the dealer said they've got 1 of each left and that's their allotment for the year.

Any recommendations for a small cruiser just to keep the itch at bay? Rebel 250? VStar 250?

Thinking around capping it off at 3k max for the bike, the lower the better and ideally with some windscreen. I think the GROM isn't for me...but they look stupid fun so I'm going to check a few out just in case. I don't want to do highway, just toot around town to keep the itch at bay.

Need something light, narrow (single car garage), and not many requirements beyond that really!

For just running around in Toronto, 2018 GROM for 3600$
... but I'm a very lightweight rider and I can fold up like a pretzel no problem and I bet you are right it would be a Hoot to ride in traffic. How would you lock it up downtown? You'd have to chain it to the ground for sure or opt for theft insurance
:| have you checked insurance prices for all the bikes on your list yet?

My wife may be upgrading sooner than I'm thinking....so we would be looking to sell her VStar 650. Brand new front tire, back tire has 2-3 more seasons on it, would be sold certified. Can run the 401 without any issue, light, nimble, easy to bat around in city traffic.

Her insurance is <$500/year even as a M2 rider so it's dirt cheap to ride.

I know the colour may not be for everyone, but just tossing it out there. Would probably be looking at something in the $2500 range, maybe less if buyer wants to take it uncertified.

vstar650.jpg

Last edited:
I nearly regularly look for the tiny cruisers like the rebel 250 and Vulcan 500 for the cheaper end, especially when highway isnt really a concern. Primarily due to the intended rider's size and comfort. They're around. Viragos and Vstars are readily available in that size as well. I find the jumps from 500 to 600+ on cruisers the weight change is 50+ pounds at least

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

For just running around in Toronto, 2018 GROM for 3600$
... but I'm a very lightweight rider and I can fold up like a pretzel no problem and I bet you are right it would be a Hoot to ride in traffic. How would you lock it up downtown? You'd have to chain it to the ground for sure or opt for theft insurance :| have you checked insurance prices for all the bikes on your list yet?

I'm considering it but not convinced...the 2017 Kawasaki 125 (GROM competitor) is going for $3100+hst at Ready but I wasn't sure I want it yet. Otherwise it'd be a great price. I've also seen a lot of people modify the Groms with dual sport tires which was interesting lol.

How tall/heavy are you? I'm 5'7 and 170lbs and the Kawi 125 felt alright when I sat on it. They didn't have any Groms in stock.

I'm not worried about insurance or locking it up downtown....just got rid of the cb500f (700/year) and I would expect the Grom to be way less. Also not planning on any highway to work with it.

My wife may be upgrading sooner than I'm thinking....so we would be looking to sell her VStar 650. Brand new front tire, back tire has 2-3 more seasons on it, would be sold certified. Can run the 401 without any issue, light, nimble, easy to bat around in city traffic.

Her insurance is <$500/year even as a M2 rider so it's dirt cheap to ride.

I know the colour may not be for everyone, but just tossing it out there. Would probably be looking at something in the $2500 range, maybe less if buyer wants to take it uncertified.

Thanks I'd have to check the size of it physically as the space it's going into is very tight b/w the wall and car...the CB500F barely left any room to pass....so one of the reasons I'm looking at small size.

I nearly regularly look for the tiny cruisers like the rebel 250 and Vulcan 500 for the cheaper end, especially when highway isnt really a concern. Primarily due to the intended rider's size and comfort. They're around. Viragos and Vstars are readily available in that size as well. I find the jumps from 500 to 600+ on cruisers the weight change is 50+ pounds at least

Thanks that's what I'm looking for. Is there an actual difference b/w the Star and Virago 250? I'm not worried about the highway at all as even if I go on it it'll be for a very short stint.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a small cruiser just to keep the itch at bay? Rebel 250? VStar 250?

Thinking around capping it off at 3k max for the bike,

OP- I was in the same situation last season. I opted for a Kymco Venox 250 based on reviews out here and other forums. It's a taiwanese 250cc cruiser- derived from Honda Magna 250.

Even though the Kymco Venox is now discontinued- Spare parts are available from Studio Cycle (they are Kymco authorised dealer in Toronto).

The advantage of Venox compared to Rebel or Virago 250 is that the Venox is heavier, feels more stable on the road, churns out 28 hp compared to 16hp from Rebel/Virago 250. It looks and runs like a 500. And still narrow/light to fit in a one-car garage. It is perfect for city riding and you could even do the occasional highway ride with it.

The one downside is resale is bad when it comes to selling compared to Rebel or Virago- but you can probably take advantage of that while buying. You can pick 2005-2007 Venox under $2000.

Good luck and hope you get a motorcycle that fits your purpose soon!

I'm considering it but not convinced...the 2017 Kawasaki 125 (GROM competitor) is going for $3100+hst at Ready but I wasn't sure I want it yet. Otherwise it'd be a great price. I've also seen a lot of people modify the Groms with dual sport tires which was interesting lol.

How tall/heavy are you? I'm 5'7 and 170lbs and the Kawi 125 felt alright when I sat on it. They didn't have any Groms in stock.

~5'9 and shrinking, 145lbs :D I'd have you beat going up long hills and on takeoff, you would coast a little better going down hills.
... and we'd both probably get arrested for popping wheelies

Check out this GROM that had a Ducati engine in it! ... that little fella would not lack for power
ducati-1199-panigale-powered-honda-grom-is-as-insane-as-it-gets-104732_1.jpg

How's reliability on such old machines? I've never even considered anything with that age.

Big plus with that model (Savage/Boulevard 650) is they made them for many many years with very little change, that is usually good for OEM replacement parts supply.

I bet resale on a GROM is good, have you seen what they want for a used Honda 50cc mini trail?

Last edited:
How's reliability on such old machines? I've never even considered anything with that age.

I'm not worried about insurance or locking it up downtown....just got rid of the cb500f (700/year) and I would expect the Grom to be way less. Also not planning on any highway to work with it.

Thanks I'd have to check the size of it physically as the space it's going into is very tight b/w the wall and car...the CB500F barely left any room to pass....so one of the reasons I'm looking at small size.

Thanks that's what I'm looking for. Is there an actual difference b/w the Star and Virago 250? I'm not worried about the highway at all as even if I go on it it'll be for a very short stint.

I don't hear many good things about the Savage. They make them brand new still (S40 is considered part of the boulevard family now for Suzuki) single cylinder at high CCs... Only the KLR did it right from what I hear.
The Vstar and Virago is more an age/branding change name thing. I believe they are the same bike just changed name once the Yamaha Star became its own branding and whatnot.
I'm still looking for a not beat up rebel 250 for under 2.2k... But I also dont think I would buy it if I found it hah

For an experienced rider the difference in size between a 250 class and 650 class cruiser is negligible, but the performance difference is significant. It's literally the difference between being able to take it on a 400 series highway if you need/want some day, or not.

The Grom is cool and all (I've rode one), but I wouldn't get caught dead on it on any urban high-speed road, IE even 80KPH sections, much less the 400 series.

For an experienced rider the difference in size between a 250 class and 650 class cruiser is negligible, but the performance difference is significant. It's literally the difference between being able to take it on a 400 series highway if you need/want some day, or not.

The Grom is cool and all (I've rode one), but I wouldn't get caught dead on it on any urban high-speed road, IE even 80KPH sections, much less the 400 series.
Just to note the OP has said multiple times that the highway is not a point of interest for this bike. And size is a largw factor. The size difference between a 650 and a 500 is quite drastic I find.

Just to note the OP has said multiple times that the highway is not a point of interest for this bike.

IMHO, living in a city the size of Toronto you're painting yourself into a corner buying a bike that isn't even going to be safe/suitable for even the faster urban roads...like the DVP or the Gardiner.

No shortage of motorcycle owners out there who said "I'll never ride on any fast roads", until one day they wanted/needed to.

And size is a largw factor. The size difference between a 650 and a 500 is quite drastic I find.

No question there's a size difference between something like a Grom and a 650 class cruiser, but the latter are still surprisingly small. The handlebars/mirrors on any bike are going to be the widest point, but with all the extra stuff that increases width down low (IE saddlebags and crash bars) they are pretty svelte. I just went out to the garage and measured my wifes Vstar for example and it's only "18" wide at the back end (exhaust included) and something like 24" at the front (signal light to signal light) and 30" handlebar to handlebar. At bumper height (IE, parked in front of a car up against a wall) 24" will do the job I'd think.

Yeah, it's going to be longer than a Grom, but on a purely width consideration I'm not sure the grom is going to come in much less than those dimensions.

I'm not trying to sell my bike here, I'm just commenting on the realities. Any 650 class cruiser (The rebel, marauder, Vstar) all share very similar performance and size measurements.

My garage is a single and holds the car (Used to hold a minivan) a 1500 Goldwing, canoe, several ladders, tool box, gear, supplies welder plus misc. Depending on how you innovate a single car garage can hold lots so don't restrict yourself unnecessarily.

The little 250's are fun to ride and although there is no legal reason you can't ride one on the 400's most wouldn't. Be honest with yourself. Would you be happy if you couldn't ride the main roads?

Back
Top Bottom