Returning after quite some time. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Returning after quite some time.

jbibby

Hi all,

I used to ride back in the early-mid 2000s before I moved to Europe for a decade. (I went on quite a few rides with GTAM folks in 2003/2004ish and even did ride for sight the last year before I left for Amsterdam. (I had a 1986 Yamaha Radian and then a blue Suzuki SV650s)

Now that I am back I am looking to restart and have a few questions I am hoping you might be able to help me with!

1. I went an impulsively grabbed my M1 yesterday... I don't have a bike yet and I hear M1 insurance is ke-razy these days so I want to get to M2 quickly. Do you think it is possible/advisable to just rent a 50cc+ scooter or a little 125 and show up in 60 days to do my M1 Exit? (I did the RTI course back in like 2002/3, it was great and I learned a lot but it may be difficult to get an entire weekend I can dedicate to doing the course again in June)

2. If the answer to the above is yes, does anyone know a place that rents scooters or small cheap bikes that would qualify for a full M2 in the test?

Thanks so much and looking forward to reconnecting!
JB

2 wheel rentals in this city are pretty rare as i understand it.

Are you adverse to the weekend course even if you know how to operate a bike? Odds are insurance will treat you as a brand new rider and you might get a decent break with a course under your arm.

What's become of you M license? It doesn't expire.

I am not averse to it, but finding a full weekend is tough right now (I have a wedding coming up in July, my sailboat goes back in the water this coming weekend and needs some attention plus work, family, etc)

I was hoping to look for other options if they exist.

I never got my M license, I only had an M2. And they do expire, after 10 years away I had to redo my G1, G2, and G license (with no waiting time in between... and I got my G license in 1992!!!)

From my research if you do it with a 51+cc scooter it counts as a full M2, it is only 50cc and below that are M2-L. (mostly figured that out from scooter people complaining about not being able to buy a Vespa 150 without redoing their whole test).

I might be wrong, but this was the impression I got.

Anyway, a friend is going to lend me his Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (his city runaround bike) for the test so I am all sorted. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer!

JB

Just FYI, if you do the M1 Exit with a scooter, you end up with a M2-L (L for Limited Speed Motorcycles) not a full M2.

Means you can only ride mopeds and scooters.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence

What's become of you M license? It doesn't expire.
In some cases they do. I moved to the USA years ago, traded my Ontario G/Chauf licence for the California equiv G/M. California reported my transfer to Ontario, Ontario cancelled my licence.

When I returned, there was reciprocity on the California G, not on the M -- I had to restart at M1 even though I was licenced to ride a motorcycle in Ontario for 20 years.

Might be cheaper if you just buy a 250 & resell it.

In some cases they do. I moved to the USA years ago, traded my Ontario G/Chauf licence for the California equiv G/M. California reported my transfer to Ontario, Ontario cancelled my licence.

When I returned, there was reciprocity on the California G, not on the M -- I had to restart at M1 even though I was licenced to ride a motorcycle in Ontario for 20 years.
Your license didn't expire. It was canceled.

via Tapatalk

I always thought Ontario licenses cannot be exchanged for California licenses. I remember looking it up last year, when I was there.

Sucks that the M didn't transfer back. Makes no sense.

In the end I am going to take the Learning Curves course this weekend (they have a midnight madness course from 4pm -> midnight which fits my schedule really well! Plus it is going to help on insurance big time!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, it is so appreciated!

JB

Back
Top Bottom