20 years of GTAM | GTAMotorcycle.com

20 years of GTAM

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
So it has come to my attention that the 20 year anniversary of GTAM is on the horizon.
Now I know there are a bunch of meetups posted here.....but has there ever been an exclusively GTAM one? And would there even be any interest in it? Or any other type of 20 year birthday/ anniversary celebration?
Any thoughts?
Ideas?
Maybe bring back banned members and meet up at BP??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Lol, Inreb. I wonder what he's up to these days

Oh yeah there was a dunk tank lol

#bringbackinreb???

That I’d vote for.

A few select others that have “departed” during my time here, not so much.

Ultimately not up to us.

Interesting idea.I remember back when GTAM was a Yahoo message board.The only organized events we have had are the RFS and Aminals bbq.Good times with great people.

The internet was like the Wild West back then. I loved every minute of it. Totally out of control collision of free thought and intellectual misbehavior. But alas, the authoritarians moved in and began to impose rules.

"and a 386 was state of the art. Not sure I remember all that. "

You don't.
We had Pentiums.
A 386 would have a hard time with the interweb. I remember the interweb with a 486DX... you need that math co-processor.
The '90s internet was mostly text based and there was a lot of hate for a purple dinosaur.

"and a 386 was state of the art. Not sure I remember all that. "

You don't.
We had Pentiums.
A 386 would have a hard time with the interweb. I remember the interweb with a 486DX... you need that math co-processor.
The '90s internet was mostly text based and there was a lot of hate for a purple dinosaur.

LOL. I remember when .JPG and .GIF's were new tech in the evil technology of file-swapping. I ran a Cyrix "Fasmath" co-pro chip back then.

I still remember my friends dad coming home with a brand spanking new Pentium 200mhz with MMX Technology and a 17" CRT, set him back like $5k

Also remember dialup screeches on 14.4k modem and having to be very picky about which thumbnails to click on because the full size picture would take like 3 minutes to download.

Where has the time gone.

I remember buddy getting a 8mg harddrive. WOW 8 whole megabytes! and it only cost $2500, and he had to go to the states to pick it up 'cuz... well... you know...Canada eh.

BUT WOW EIGHT MEG. That was like throwing open the door and saving data in the back yard!

Hell I remember when a calculator could get you laid. Anyone else have a RPN calculator? See look baby, NO EQUALS BUTTON. OOH AHH!

I remember buddy getting a 8mg harddrive. WOW 8 whole megabytes! and it only cost $2500, and he had to go to the states to pick it up 'cuz... well... you know...Canada eh. BUT WOW EIGHT MEG. That was like throwing open the door and saving data in the back yard! Hell I remember when a calculator could get you laid. Anyone else have a RPN calculator? See look baby, NO EQUALS BUTTON. OOH AHH!
Calculator. I had an abacus, slide-rule and keypunch drum.

14.4K!? Luxury! Try a 300 baud modem with an acoustic coupler. I could whistle the carrier tone into the receiver and trick the modem into thinking it had connected.
You didn't push it to 450?

Yeah, I'm from the 300 baud & acoustic coupler era as well. I remember when I got my first 1200 baud modem it blew my mind - the text would actually scroll across the screen as fast as I could read it, unlike 300 where you were waiting.

Then 2400 blew my mind again. I had a 'leet 2400MNP5 modem as well for a while although it was only good for one specific BBS that actually supported the protocol, but it was spiffy in it's era.

And then had a 9600. And a 14.4, then 28.8, 33.6 (short lived, but I had to have one), and finally 56K...which I remember as sucking a lot in the early days as there was much incompatibility between different manufacturers and offshoot compression protocols that often didn't play nice with each other, or stepdown properly so they did.

Ahhh, the good old days.

Somewhere in the early 56K days the BBS scene was dying a rapid death due to the newfandangled "internet" thing. Along came trumpet windsock and netscape navigator, and suddenly...BBS's were no longer the cool thing anymore.

Then came "cable internet", which sucked big donkey balls. Anyone remember these bastard things?

cablemodem1.jpg

Although I love the internet, the countless years that "being online" meant interacting with a small group of friends (and sometimes foes) on a BBS message board is something I miss, along with being a SysOp. I guess that's why I'm such a forum junkie.

I found a picture of one of my old BBS's a while back, I'll scan it and post it here and see if anyone can nail the era based on the photos.

Back
Top Bottom