For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, How hard would it be to Register This? | GTAMotorcycle.com

For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, How hard would it be to Register This?

Lord Letto

For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, is This Scooter Worth it?

As I Had posted in the Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread:
Cheap Chinese Scooter is Cheap:
2008 SHANGHAI JMSTAR MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD MC-13-150 Scooter with only 45km for $500, Typical Chinese Junk with Typical Junk Issues: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1346967643&requestSource=b
VIN Shows SHANGHAI JMSTAR MOTORCYCLE CO., LTD, yet When I Google MC-13-150 it comes up with Roketa Bali, Neither of them show up in the M&W Online Quote Tool for Insurance?
Price has since Dropped to $400 OBO:
$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Scooter made by JM Star Motorcycle Co. Model MC -13-150. It was built in 2008 but really has never been ridden. It has 45 km on it. Yes 45. One mirror was damaged and repaired. Otherwise it looks like new. Battery no longer holds a charge. I was going to get it going but just no time. Great scooter for someone who likes to tinker. I hook up power to it and it appears everything works. Turns over but wont go.NOTE - BIKE WAS ORDERED IN THE US AND BROUGHT INTO CANADA BY PRECIOUS OWNER. THERE MAY BE DIFFICULTY REGISTERING IT. Original paperwork is available. $400 OBO.

Last edited:
Although it does have a VIN it’s questionable if it was ever actually registered in North America, or if it even meets safety regs to ever be registerable here. Your best bet would be to go to any service Ontario and ask them to run the Vin number and see if it even shows in their systems

If it doesn’t, save yourself a lot of pain and walk away...unless you just want it as a pit bike or something.

Although it does have a VIN it’s questionable if it was ever actually registered in North America, or if it even meets safety regs to ever be registerable here. Your best bet would be to go to any service Ontario and ask them to run the Vin number and see if it even shows in their systems

If it doesn’t, save yourself a lot of pain and walk away...unless you just want it as a pit bike or something.

+1 with PrivatePilot, except RUN away - don't walk.
These things show up from time to time with no parts support or anyone willing to work on them.
Complete waste of time.

Short answer: It's junk.

Longer answer:

The sticker says it conforms to US federal motor vehicle safety standards. Whether it actually does or not, is quite another matter, but that's what the sticker says. A little fact-finding expedition is necessary in order to establish whether NHTSA in the USA has a record of the declaration of conformity for that vehicle manufacturer and that VIN.

If the FMVSS declaration turns out to be truthful ... If it was properly imported to Canada using the RIV process (which is what is supposed to happen), there should be another label near that one with a maple-leaf symbol on it and which also states who imported it and when. If it was done but someone forgot to apply the label or if it was removed afterward, RIV should have a record of the VIN. If they don't ...

If it was just brought in without following proper procedures then it might still be possible to follow the RIV import process (there is a sticky thread somewhere which discusses this), but the RIV import fee alone approaches the asking price of the scooter, and that's assuming the manufacturer is on the eligibility list. RIV is only possible for vehicles that are on their eligibility list. I can't be bothered checking to see if this manufacturer and model are eligible. So, there's another fact-finding mission. RIV is only worth doing for a vehicle that is actually worth something.

Insurance will be a headache because insurance companies won't have any record of it.

Bottom line, if it runs OK then it's only useful as a pit bike or some such thing not requiring road-legal registration. Bear in mind that pit bikes at Mosport outside the paddock area have to be road legal. And, the first time something breaks that isn't practical to replace with some generic replacement part, it's junk.

It's not even worth what the replacement battery would cost.

For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, is This Scooter Worth it?

10-4
Instead of Making a New Thread I Figured I'd just use this thread for the Next Cheap Scooter:
2008 Daymak 150 Scooter (Saigon 150) for $200, Comes with Cover & 2 Helmets with extra Face Screens: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-po...er/1342718347?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$_59.JPG

150 Daymak Scooter- NEEDS work - great for parts or tinkerer. Scooter was working- but as it rans the engined drained the battery. Body of bike is in pretty good shape, although there has been a few mishaps, nothing that plastic glue can't fix. Bike cover included. I also have two helmets, one black one white with extra face screens. No negotiating on price. $200.00 ($75. guy need not reply!!)
Any Idea what the Problem is, I'm thinking Charging System? Is it worth Getting?
Edit: ad is gone, guessing it sold.

Last edited:
Re: For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, is This Scooter Worth it?

I think you are better off spending $200 on a bicycle. Way more reliable.

Re: For the Sake of Discussion/Possible Education, is This Scooter Worth it?

Thoughts on old mopeds? there are 2 Jawa mopeds i'm aware of for cheap:
1981 for asking $250, turns over, for project or parts:
$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-po...le/1353903792?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1986 for $150, not running, sat in garage for last 20 years, not sure what it needs to run, great project or could be used for parts:
$_59.JPG

Edit: replied to the 1986 for $150 to ask if it got the Ownership/Title for it, got a reply back saying it sold this afternoon, Checked & ad was removed. Replied to the 1981 with a asking price of $250 to also ask if it got the Ownership/Title.
Edit2: 1981 got no Ownership.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom