Suzuki GW250 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki GW250

Interesting

I agree with you, unfortunately canada is a small market with a big engine fixation
I don't know why Honda did not carry on it's CBR125 program. There were tons on the road and they had to be money makers -- Honda sold them for 2x the price they charges in other parts of the world. Yamaha sells the FZ-Fi for $1500 CAD
fz-fi-bomber-black.png

And the R1.5 for $2300CAD.
r15-3qtr.png

We get Honda GROMs for $4k.

Last edited:
If honda went the 2cyl route with the cbr300 I would have bought one.

I like the GSX250r because of it's ergos, simplicity and the price. $4700+tax for the Suzuki with a 5 year warranty. The CBR 300 with a 5 year warranty is $6825+tax, that's 50% more expensive.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a 5yr warranty on a Suzuki or Honda helps sell their bikes to anyone but noobs. A 5yr warranty on a Japanese bikes is like offering free refills on a 10gal coffee cup. Almost no one is every going to use it. So many 250/300cc bikes out there 5yrs old with less than 10k on them.

Peace of mind i guess? I once bought electronics that had a 1 year warranty on them, they were manufactured with a built in defect that you could time down to the last minute, when it would go bad.

After getting 3 replacements under warranty, I finally bit the bullet and bought a reputable brand name one that cost a bit more. It had a 5 year warranty(because the manufac. had confidence in their product and knew it wouldn't go bad...and it never did)

Suzuki also offers decent discounts and a 500$ gas card...which on a 250 parallel twin would equal to like 2 seasons of gas?

Yes, they are highway capable - they run comfortably all day at 125 and peak out at 140 - plenty for a beginner. Highway capable doesn't mean here to Los Angeles, I wouldn't flinch riding the highway Toronto to Niagara falls.

5 year old CBRs and Ninjas list for $2500, it's easy to pick clean bikes for $2K, that's not much more than an old GW250 which go for $1.5K. My point on price is the GSXR250 is a price leader. The others cost 50% more out the door which is a lot for the typical rider they are trying to attract.

I think motorcycling needs some super low cost entry bikes in order to get new riders into the game. Personally I'd like to see the 150 CC bikes sold here. They are not highway capable, that's OK because I think very few riders are ready for highway riding till they have a year or two on city streets and side roads. The 150s sold around the world go for $1500 or less.

i agree on low cost entry. i cant see your typical 21 year old kid plopping down $4000+ for a bike when housing rental is more expensive than ever now.
beginner riders still have to deal with getting all the initial gear and the worst motorcycle insurance rates in the world. PLUS its not exactly fun riding around the GTA. you have to go pretty far out for some really nice roads.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a 5yr warranty on a Suzuki or Honda helps sell their bikes to anyone but noobs. A 5yr warranty on a Japanese bikes is like offering free refills on a 10gal coffee cup. Almost no one is every going to use it. So many 250/300cc bikes out there 5yrs old with less than 10k on them.

i ended up getting 5 yr warranty on my little tu250x when i bought it. it probably won't be used. but as a non-wrencher, i just didn't want to worry about anything major.

this bike is SUPER weak but i'm loving every second of riding it and still dont see myself 'upgrading' any time soon. just went on a totally mundane ride from toronto to whitby to catch the last day of sales at GP Bikes and it was a blast!

I fix my own bikes, but I would still go for the 5 year warranty no matter what. It's a machine, anything can happen, usually at the worst possible time.

I fix my own bikes, but I would still go for the 5 year warranty no matter what. It's a machine, anything can happen, usually at the worst possible time.

I hear harley sells a warranty on its warranty (or some such thing)

Thanks for all that great info guys. The posted Kijiji ads I've seen already.

The problem I'm having now is private sale logistics. How do I get the bike from seller to home? Don't I have to do all the necessary paper and safety first? It would take the whole day just to do the stuff. Any suggestions? Can I get a temp plate while I go another day for safety? Bike transport is expensive. I have a buddy that can help me ride it home but they're also busy too.

The problem I'm having now is private sale logistics. How do I get the bike from seller to home? Don't I have to do all the necessary paper and safety first? It would take the whole day just to do the stuff. Any suggestions? Can I get a temp plate while I go another day for safety? Bike transport is expensive. I have a buddy that can help me ride it home but they're also busy too.

If you arrange for the seller to safety it... You could get the paperwork and the safety from the seller, go get plate and ride it home from the seller. Or you can get a temp plate to go get the safety as long as you don’t register the vehicle in your name as unfit. It’s sounds complicated but it’s real straight forward buying a used bike and you will spend a lot less money. You’re already going to have high insurance and buy gear too

Last edited:

https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=116373
Skip down to Steps 5 and 6. The stickies on this board are quite helpful! :)

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Suzuki GW 250, at their price point ride and enjoy. Disposable in the end just like the Kymco Venon 250 is.

1) Make sure the current ownership shows FIT.
2) Get the VIN and call you insurance company to arrange insurance for the day you pickup the bike.
3) Get a temp plate and sticker when you transfer the ownership into your name. You have 10 days on the temp sticker.

I'd make the current owner ride it to your place -- hopping on a stranger's used bike has some potential danger.

Back
Top Bottom