Suzuki GW250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki GW250

chinamike

Hi everyone,

I've wrestled with what kind of bike to get considering price (no more than $5000), type (prefer sport 250 or 300cc, but now open to other types), and condition (new/used) of the bike.

Stumbled upon this bike. It was never on my radar.

Any thoughts on this bike for a beginner rider?

Thanks!

excellent beginners bike

but you should always consider resale when buying new
a true sport 250/300 will be much easier to sell than a standard 250/300

but if you're gonna keep it forever? sure

if that type of bike interests you
have a look at the 500 size, like a Honda
not much more money, but will be far easier to sell
and keep you happy longer than an anemic upright 250

Last edited:
excellent beginners bike

but you should always consider resale when buying new
a true sport 250/300 will be much easier to sell than a standard 250/300

but if you're gonna keep it forever? sure

if that type of bike interests you
have a look at the 500 size, like a Honda
not much more money, but will be far easier to sell
and keep you happy longer than an anemic upright 250

love my anemic suzuki tu250x :)

Hi everyone,

I've wrestled with what kind of bike to get considering price (no more than $5000), type (prefer sport 250 or 300cc, but now open to other types), and condition (new/used) of the bike.

Stumbled upon this bike. It was never on my radar.

Any thoughts on this bike for a beginner rider?

Thanks!

It's definitely a fine beginner bike but there are much better, more capable, lighter and better-looking 250 & 300cc machines that can better fill that purpose than the Inazuma. People often talk about "outgrowing" small-displacement machines. Quite often that's not really true but I honestly think you would outgrow the GW in very short order.

There really isn't a bad starter bike out there. They all do the same thing, provide a light weight, safe and reliable bike with beginner friendly levels of power on which you can hone your riding skills and grow your confidence. Basically pick the one you like the look and feel of the best. Some might be a little faster than others, some might be a little more comfortable than others, and some will look a little better than others. Not too many folks stick with a 250cc-300cc bike for more than a few years, but there is no reason you couldn't stick with one. There are riders who have traveled the world on bikes this size.

My suggestion is a common one, don't buy new. Why pay the depreciation on a new bike, especially one you may not want to keep for a long time. If you keep your bikes for 8-10yrs like I do, the depreciation isn't as big a concern. There are lots of gently used starter bikes out there for very reasonable prices. There's nothing wrong with having a budget of $5,000 but coming in well under it. If you're like 99.9% of us you could always use that money for some other need or want in your life! If you buy used, you can sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it if you haven't damaged it or put 100k on it.

If you prefer sport I’d get the r3 or ninja 300. I’m sure you can find one well within budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the GW250 has been discontinued for 2018. Too ugly. There is a GSX250r if you like sport bikes, or the Tu250x if you like the classic look. I would rather have the Honda 250 or 300 because they have a shaft driven cam. I think the Suzuki still uses cam chains which will have to be replaced periodically.

I think the GW250 has been discontinued for 2018. Too ugly. There is a GSX250r if you like sport bikes, or the Tu250x if you like the classic look. I would rather have the Honda 250 or 300 because they have a shaft driven cam. I think the Suzuki still uses cam chains which will have to be replaced periodically.
I think the Hondas are chain drive, it's pretty hard to drive a small OHC motor off gears. Chains today are not the weak point, they should last past the point of major overhaul.

I like the GSX250r because of it's ergos, simplicity and the price. $4700+tax for the Suzuki with a 5 year warranty. The CBR 300 with a 5 year warranty is $6825+tax, that's 50% more expensive.

I really like this bike. This is a learner or city bike, it's designed to be easy to ride so riders can focus on their basic skills. It's longer and has less rake so it's a bit less responsive for a racer, but a bit more stable for a beginner. It might to finish last in a race, but it can handle highway speeds and will meet the performance needs of any rider through their first 10K of riding. Did I mention the price? A CBR, Ninja or R3 is worth about 2K after 5 years, that's more in depreciation that the total cost of a GSXR.

Don't count this bike out!

I think the Hondas are chain drive, it's pretty hard to drive a small OHC motor off gears. Chains today are not the weak point, they should last past the point of major overhaul.

I like the GSX250r because of it's ergos, simplicity and the price. $4700+tax for the Suzuki with a 5 year warranty. The CBR 300 with a 5 year warranty is $6825+tax, that's 50% more expensive.

I really like this bike. This is a learner or city bike, it's designed to be easy to ride so riders can focus on their basic skills. It's longer and has less rake so it's a bit less responsive for a racer, but a bit more stable for a beginner. It might to finish last in a race, but it can handle highway speeds and will meet the performance needs of any rider through their first 10K of riding. Did I mention the price? A CBR, Ninja or R3 is worth about 2K after 5 years, that's more in depreciation that the total cost of a GSXR.

Don't count this bike out!

Really? the gsx250 is highway capable? Also the last time i checked, most 300s go for about 3-4.5k

Really? the gsx250 is highway capable? Also the last time i checked, most 300s go for about 3-4.5k
Yes, they are highway capable - they run comfortably all day at 125 and peak out at 140 - plenty for a beginner. Highway capable doesn't mean here to Los Angeles, I wouldn't flinch riding the highway Toronto to Niagara falls.

5 year old CBRs and Ninjas list for $2500, it's easy to pick clean bikes for $2K, that's not much more than an old GW250 which go for $1.5K. My point on price is the GSXR250 is a price leader. The others cost 50% more out the door which is a lot for the typical rider they are trying to attract.

I think motorcycling needs some super low cost entry bikes in order to get new riders into the game. Personally I'd like to see the 150 CC bikes sold here. They are not highway capable, that's OK because I think very few riders are ready for highway riding till they have a year or two on city streets and side roads. The 150s sold around the world go for $1500 or less.

You're thinking of the Twinkie. I have an Evo, gear driven...

OK, let's try this from a different angle then.

Your Harley isn't an over head cam motor. It has push rods. The cam is in the case between the bottom of the cylinders.
Most recent motors (your Harley motor, for the most part, was designed in 1927) have over head cams that are driven by a chain or belt from the crank to the cam in the top of the head. Some motors have gear drive to the over head cam, while this is a better setup it is more expensive to produce, and it makes noise that a lot people don't like.
Over head cam motors are more efficient because they eliminate a bunch of mass from the valve train.

A 60s or 70s Ducati had a shaft drive differential to drive the over head cams with a series of beveled gears on the crank and cam. We call these " Bevels" or "Bevel heads". They have a real cult following. I am part of that cult.
Modern Ducatis use a belt to drive their over head cams, like mostly everybody else in automotive. We call these "Rubber Duckies".
Sooooooo the big chrome tubes on the side of your Harley motor contain push rods, while the big chrome tube on the side of an old Ducati motor had a drive shaft to drive the over head cam.

I did have to google "twinkie", being part of a different cult and all.

Last edited:
Yes, they are highway capable - they run comfortably all day at 125 and peak out at 140 - plenty for a beginner. Highway capable doesn't mean here to Los Angeles, I wouldn't flinch riding the highway Toronto to Niagara falls.

5 year old CBRs and Ninjas list for $2500, it's easy to pick clean bikes for $2K, that's not much more than an old GW250 which go for $1.5K. My point on price is the GSXR250 is a price leader. The others cost 50% more out the door which is a lot for the typical rider they are trying to attract.

I think motorcycling needs some super low cost entry bikes in order to get new riders into the game. Personally I'd like to see the 150 CC bikes sold here. They are not highway capable, that's OK because I think very few riders are ready for highway riding till they have a year or two on city streets and side roads. The 150s sold around the world go for $1500 or less.

Interesting

I agree with you, unfortunately canada is a small market with a big engine fixation

Back
Top Bottom