Touring duds | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring duds

Which all weather/season riding suit?

• Klim Latitude

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Aerostich Roadcrafter

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Joe Rocket Ballistic 14.0 (no pants though)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
you mentioned some brands that say they are waterproof, the sentry? and the "troy"? in pants? you will have no fallback when they aren' "waterproof" ....and they won't be. I fell into that trap years ago and learned a wet and expensive lesson. but I think it' a journey we all make with our gear until we get sorted.

A long day covering miles when you're cold and wet is a terrible feeling.

At some point I gave up some of my innate cheapness and bought gear that I was confident would keep me dry and warm.

Been through the same. Long days in gear that were supposed to be water proof. Just not worth it to me anymore, I enjoy riding and it is nice to be able to push on through a rainy day on the road and still be warm and comfortable.

My concern today was I had my 3 season gear on and even at 18 was feeling too toasty ....26 tomorrow ....I think I will still try the three season jacket but light layer underneath and see how it does.
The underlayer was a bit too warm today.

Mind you Salmon Arm average for June is 18 and the mountains to get there will be colder. Guess I will stay on plan with the 3 season jacket. At least I know I will be dry and I like the pockets.

IS there a zero to 30+ jacket out there.
My Scott is unbearable above 28.

No.Sweat or bleed,your choice.Buy the best gear you can afford...and wear it!

My concern today was I had my 3 season gear on and even at 18 was feeling too toasty ....26 tomorrow ....I think I will still try the three season jacket but light layer underneath and see how it does.
The underlayer was a bit too warm today.

Mind you Salmon Arm average for June is 18 and the mountains to get there will be colder. Guess I will stay on plan with the 3 season jacket. At least I know I will be dry and I like the pockets.

Would be nice if you get demo jackets. Feel what they are like when riding, feel how the vents work. I know my Badlands jacket vents incredibly well. Has vents up both arms, sides and back and I feel the slightest breeze go right through me when they are all open, handles incredibly well even when I was under the hot Utah sun and when zipped up was nice and warm at the top of Pikes peak.

Considering a Klim Latitude - they consider it a 4 season jacket but the vents are very extensive.

[video=youtube;xwtGjGs4rjE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtGjGs4rjE[/video]

Last edited:
So, I'm not saying no to the Klim yet, but just wondering if there isn't something cheaper that will fit the bill.

Have you considered the Klim Blade? I got mine for $300 a couple of years back. Seems like it's discontinued online but some stores might still have them in stock and be looking to get rid of old stock. Last I was at GP Bikes a couple of months ago, they still had it. I own a few jackets and this is definitely my go to for touring or if there's any chance of rain. It's an excellent jacket for the price in my opinion.

I don't trust any armor in a textile suit. In my experience it moves out of the way in a crash and does very little. If you don't want leather (which I wouldn't in touring gear), I would separate crash protection and weather protection (eg. wear knee and elbow pads strapped to you and pull the suit over the top). I'm not sure if that changes anything in your search.

Why two piece? I have two piece but always wear both, so it is just hotter and less protective than a one piece.

If I'm not mistaken Aerostich was the first to offer armour (at least in a textile suit.) here are tons of reports of people walking away from some crazy crashes where their Roadcrafters did a great job protecting them and a "wall of shame" at their factory in Duluth where lots of them are hung up on display.

I have a two-piece Roadcrafter that I have ridden well over 200,000 km that I have retired and replaced wit ha new R3 a couple of years ago. As expensive as the Roadcrafters are they end up beign way cheaper than the cost of all the cheap gear I bought before getting the Roadcrafter. (I am very hard on gear.)

I am a very happy customer!

..Tom

hehe ...I had hopes on this model ( and it was close ) as people complained about it being "baggy".

Certainly light for an all year all weather.

Back
Top Bottom