Touring duds - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which all weather/season riding suit?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Klim Latitude

7 63.64%
  • Aerostich Roadcrafter

4 36.36%
  • Joe Rocket Ballistic 14.0 (no pants though)

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Touring duds

Re: Touring duds

you mentioned some brands that say they are waterproof, the sentry? and the "troy"? in pants? you will have no fallback when they aren' "waterproof" ....and they won't be. I fell into that trap years ago and learned a wet and expensive lesson. but I think it' a journey we all make with our gear until we get sorted.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by regder View Post
    A long day covering miles when you're cold and wet is a terrible feeling.

At some point I gave up some of my innate cheapness and bought gear that I was confident would keep me dry and warm.
    Been through the same. Long days in gear that were supposed to be water proof. Just not worth it to me anymore, I enjoy riding and it is nice to be able to push on through a rainy day on the road and still be warm and comfortable.

My concern today was I had my 3 season gear on and even at 18 was feeling too toasty ....26 tomorrow ....I think I will still try the three season jacket but light layer underneath and see how it does.
    The underlayer was a bit too warm today.

Mind you Salmon Arm average for June is 18 and the mountains to get there will be colder. Guess I will stay on plan with the 3 season jacket. At least I know I will be dry and I like the pockets.

IS there a zero to 30+ jacket out there.
    My Scott is unbearable above 28.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    No.Sweat or bleed,your choice.Buy the best gear you can afford...and wear it!
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

Not quite ...my mesh gear is fine into the 30s ...just marginal below 10.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold

My concern today was I had my 3 season gear on and even at 18 was feeling too toasty ....26 tomorrow ....I think I will still try the three season jacket but light layer underneath and see how it does.
    The underlayer was a bit too warm today.

Mind you Salmon Arm average for June is 18 and the mountains to get there will be colder. Guess I will stay on plan with the 3 season jacket. At least I know I will be dry and I like the pockets.

Would be nice if you get demo jackets. Feel what they are like when riding, feel how the vents work. I know my Badlands jacket vents incredibly well. Has vents up both arms, sides and back and I feel the slightest breeze go right through me when they are all open, handles incredibly well even when I was under the hot Utah sun and when zipped up was nice and warm at the top of Pikes peak.

Considering a Klim Latitude - they consider it a 4 season jacket but the vents are very extensive.

Last edited by MacDoc; 05-01-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    So, I'm not saying no to the Klim yet, but just wondering if there isn't something cheaper that will fit the bill.
    Have you considered the Klim Blade? I got mine for $300 a couple of years back. Seems like it's discontinued online but some stores might still have them in stock and be looking to get rid of old stock. Last I was at GP Bikes a couple of months ago, they still had it. I own a few jackets and this is definitely my go to for touring or if there's any chance of rain. It's an excellent jacket for the price in my opinion.
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Sixty2
    2018 Suzuki GSX-S750

Yeah I was intrigued by the Blade when announced but did not see it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I don't trust any armor in a textile suit. In my experience it moves out of the way in a crash and does very little. If you don't want leather (which I wouldn't in touring gear), I would separate crash protection and weather protection (eg. wear knee and elbow pads strapped to you and pull the suit over the top). I'm not sure if that changes anything in your search.

Why two piece? I have two piece but always wear both, so it is just hotter and less protective than a one piece.
    If I'm not mistaken Aerostich was the first to offer armour (at least in a textile suit.) here are tons of reports of people walking away from some crazy crashes where their Roadcrafters did a great job protecting them and a "wall of shame" at their factory in Duluth where lots of them are hung up on display.

I have a two-piece Roadcrafter that I have ridden well over 200,000 km that I have retired and replaced wit ha new R3 a couple of years ago. As expensive as the Roadcrafters are they end up beign way cheaper than the cost of all the cheap gear I bought before getting the Roadcrafter. (I am very hard on gear.)

I am a very happy customer!

..Tom

How big are you? This auction closes tomorrow. Klim Induction Jacket 3XL for $120 right now.

https://auctionmaxx.com/Listing/Deta...ACKET-MENS-3XL

EDIT:
    This appears to be mesh/non-waterproof and doesn't fit your needs at all.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-men...ket/1343535870

Jacket is just a tad too small for me around the belly

Lovely weight tho for an all season and at least I got a deal on gloves

It's 12.25 pm May 2- I'm here for another 20 minutes if someone wants me to bring it to the GTA

nice owner - wrecked his knee - very fastidious about the jacket

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-men...ket/1343535870

Jacket is just a tad too small for me around the belly
    That's a big problem with any high-quality expensive jacket that you can wear for many years... they very obviously shrink with age.

..Tom

hehe ...I had hopes on this model ( and it was close ) as people complained about it being "baggy".

Certainly light for an all year all weather.