Touring duds | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring duds

Which all weather/season riding suit?

• Klim Latitude

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Aerostich Roadcrafter

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Joe Rocket Ballistic 14.0 (no pants though)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Morrissey

Hey all. I am starting to consider some new riding gear. I've had the same Joe Rocket leather jacket (all black, no idea of the name) since '03. It has served me quite well and still looks great, but I'm thinking I want something more touring focused, which is why I am posting in this forum vs the general forum. I'm looking for something that is already waterproof so I don't have to stop and fiddle with an uncomfortable rain shell or my Frogg Toggs. It needs to have good ventilation too.

I am primarily looking at the Klim Latitude (2018 updated version). It sounds like it ticks all of the right boxes, waterproof with ventilation that has rain covers for all zippers. Lots of pockets, some CE padding. Anyone here spent some time living with a Klim riding suit in general or a latitude specifically? There are a few places around (GP, Riders Choice) where I can go try them on which is a huge plus. https://www.klim.com/Latitude-Jacket-5146-003

But then I was reading about the Joe Rocket Balistic 14.0 and Meteor jackets (basically the same, one is longer that the other). They sound like descent jackets with the same claims as the Klim, but obviously significantly cheaper (like half price cheaper). I've always been happy with my current JR jacket, but somehow think the Balistic/Meteor won't compete with the Klim. Also, for some reason JR does not offer a matching pant which is a huge strike against it. http://joerocket.ca/product/ballistic-14-textile-jacket/

I know that the "gold standard" for touring is Aerostich. I think the Klim Latitude is a little better looking that a Roadcrafter suit (IMO) and if I'm going to spend $1,600+CAN on new gear, I want to try it on before I buy it rather than have it sent to my house, be unhappy with the fit and have to return it. All that said I'm still open to the idea of getting one. http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-...men-s-roadcrafter-classic-two-piece-suit.html

Thoughs?

Last edited:
I don't trust any armor in a textile suit. In my experience it moves out of the way in a crash and does very little. If you don't want leather (which I wouldn't in touring gear), I would separate crash protection and weather protection (eg. wear knee and elbow pads strapped to you and pull the suit over the top). I'm not sure if that changes anything in your search.

Why two piece? I have two piece but always wear both, so it is just hotter and less protective than a one piece.

I would separate crash protection and weather protection (eg. wear knee and elbow pads strapped to you and pull the suit over the top). I'm not sure if that changes anything in your search.

I agree 100% on the knee armor, not so much on the elbow armor...depends on the jacket.

I like the AirGlide gear ....( my Joe Rocket mesh is 10 years old as well and with layers is my go to for any weather above 25C down to 12C
I use my 3/4 season Scott Eclipse II up to 25 C

Last edited:
I have a Klim badlands jacket, quality is fantastic and and nothing beats Gore-tex for waterproofing a jacket and still being breathable. Based on my experience with my jacket I would go for the latitude. Joe Rocket has always seemed like a budget big box store type of brand. Maybe they have gotten better over the years. I did have a waterproof Joe Rocket jacket about 8 years ago or so. It was ok, did not breath all that great and was only waterproof for so long. Price was cheap though, which is why I bought it. Now I am sure they have come a long way and improved greatly over the years, but end of the day I would go with any jacket that has gore-tex over any other waterproofing claims these jackets have.

Klim is widely used by many many many tourers, especially in the BMW community. Very popular brand because of the quality.

Dual Sport Plus carries the Klim brand
http://www.dualsportplus.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5146-003

There is a slightly cheaper model the Carlsbad by Klim which you might want to check out as well
http://www.dualsportplus.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6029-001

I'd actually guess JR has gone downhill from 10 years ago.

In the value for money Olympia and FirstGear would be my choice to look at.

I'd actually guess JR has gone downhill from 10 years ago.

In the value for money Olympia and FirstGear would be my choice to look at.

JR always looked like budget gear. Olympia and FirstGear both have great reputations. I have some rain gloves from FirstGear using their version of Gore-tex and they are great, never let me down and the best rain gloves I have ever had.

If you are considering spending $1600 on top and bottom, then I wouldn't even consider Olympia, because it's build quality is nowhere near as good as something like Klim or Aerostitch. Olympia is much closer to Joe Rocket than Klim/Aerostitch. And I own two full Olympia suits - one Airglide and one Ranger and I have also extensively worn their AST and Moto-X. It's decent gear, but velcro and zippers often break apart and stitching often comes apart. Not what I would want for a dedicated long distance suit, but I like it for commuting and gear that I can beat up and not care as much about it.

The Klim Latitude looks like a great setup. Amazing actually, considering you don't have to look like a marshmallow man.

As for armour moving around in textile gear - does the D30 even suffer from that, since it's designed to be thin in the first place and expand on impact?

The only other brand in the same league as Klim and Aerostitch is Revit imo.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

and Motoport. Have a look on kijiji....Revit Defender suit for 650...Aerostich Darien suit $250 (pants and jacket!). IMO there are about 7 manufacturers who are leaps above others...Motoport, Aerostich, Rukka, FirstGear, Klim, Revit, Dainese. Buying quality gear in great shape (used) is not expensive.

Very true. I bought a full Motoport Kevlar suit that was used, but basically brand new for $300. Even though i' doesn't have a waterproof outer shell, it's my primary long distance gear. For rain I just stop and throw on First Gear Sierra suit.

I would like to try on a Rukka or Klim suit though to see how they feel and compare to my gear.

As for armour moving around in textile gear - does the D30 even suffer from that, since it's designed to be thin in the first place and expand on impact?

I have Klim Badlands, amour it does not move around at all if the gear fits properly, the jacket/pants need to fit snug...ish. 3do Armour is not super thin, it does have some bulk to it, but is very flexible. Gortex is awsome, waterproof and breathing capabilities. When I used to use separate rain gear, Joe Rocket and Olympia, I would never get the timing right of stopping the bike putting it on before I got wet, or I would think... naw its not going to rain and would get soaked. some rain Gear does not breathe, its hot, more stuff to pack and half the time you dont want to stop and put it on so you get rained on.

OP realize that Gortex needs to be taken care of, go to MEC and get Nikwax Direct TX either spray or dryer (I use both). When you wash your stuff, you need to revitalize.

If you hold off on the purchase this year, Klim changes/updates models every year, watch Revzilla's website, and just before they announce it late winter/early spring, you will see a huge reduction in the cost, I got 50% off. I then went to my KTM dealer, asked if the reduction was in Canada as well... yep sure was. You have to act fast, the normal sizes go quick, if your 2xxl or tall the stock lasts longer. I saved 800 dollars this way.

Last edited:
I have Klim Badlands, amour it does not move around at all if the gear fits properly, the jacket/pants need to fit snug.

Have you crash tested it? IME, snug is not remotely good enough, there is just way too much movement/stretch in the fabric to keep things in place. As an easy test, put the suit on and see if someone can rotate the knee armor around to the side of your knee. If they can do this, protection in a crash is as much luck as it is design. If they can't uncover part of your kneecap, I stand corrected and the steep price they are asking may be justified.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, you should also look at BMW's apparel. They have more to offer than just the Long Way Round Enduro Rallye suits. They offer some very good quality touring options, ranging from full mesh to textile and leather. Not overly emblazoned with BMW roundel logos either.

We do a lot of hot weather riding, so we love our Airflow suits, but probably not that suited for 3-season North American touring.

If you were considering the RoadCrafter One Piece, then the BMW equivalent would be Coverall Suit. But the touring guys mainly opt for StreetGuard jacket and pants combo:

s-l1600.jpg

If you can afford it, you should also look at BMW's apparel. They have more to offer than just the Long Way Round Enduro Rallye suits. They offer some very good quality touring options, ranging from full mesh to textile and leather. Not overly emblazoned with BMW roundel logos either.

We do a lot of hot weather riding, so we love our Airflow suits, but probably not that suited for 3-season North American touring.

If you were considering the RoadCrafter One Piece, then the BMW equivalent would be Coverall Suit. But the touring guys mainly opt for StreetGuard jacket and pants combo:

s-l1600.jpg

BMW gear is really good and not just some cash grab from BMW throwing their logo on cheap gear. I have a Rallye 3 jacket, really nicely made and well thought out. Only reason I switched my main daily jacket to the Klim was for the gore-tex.

I'm of the same mindset for armor in most pants/jackets. Got rid of my old knee armor in all my street pants and now wear Dainese trail skins 2. Much more comfortable and secure. Same goes with my jacket armor....Dainese performance jacket.

Whatever you get, I would make sure it has a Gore-Tex membrane built in. It's an amazing feeling riding into a storm and not having to worry about pulling over. Gore-Tex also gives you a lifetime warranty on anything with their logo on it, currently in the process of getting reimbursed the full amount for a pair of boots that started leaking after five years. I can't say enough good things about Gore-Tex

For the suit itself, I have an Aerostich R3 light (I think that's the model) which has positives and negatives.

On the plus side it is a 100% waterproof, rode through a billion rain days last summer without getting wet. Decent ventilation, can't say I ever got too hot. Easy to get in and out of. Since it's one piece you're never going to be without the pants, which I (and let's be honest, large majority of us) would rarely wear if it was two piece.

On the down side, you look like an absolute dork. Mine is all black which only helps a bit. I'm not hugely self-conscious, but it's not something I could wear without being directly beside the bike. Aerostich hasn't discovered vertical stretch panels so the *** end sticks out huge when you're walking around. For that same reason the pant legs get hiked up too high when sitting on the bike. I bought mine used so it's not custom fit for me, but since it fits me near perfectly on the bike (outside of the pant legs) I don't think it could be much better with their current design.

If the Stitch fit my body better, I would be much happier with it. As it is, I'm keeping on eye out on a Klim Latitude/Badlands setup.

Hehe was worried about my feet for this cross country tour as my Guarne are not waterproof anymore on one foot and I did not get Gortex plus they are set up for the Vstrom and the KLR not the smaller CBF1000.

Looked on Kiji ....

BMW-Allround-Boots.jpg

https://www.blackfootonline.ca/product/bmw-allround-boots/

$75 in very nice condition and they fit and yeah ....Gortex :D

Just a warning about goretex boots. The goretex is a thin membrane inside the boot and if you flex the boot too much (like wearing it to go hiking), the goretex will eventual develop cracks and will leak. I've owned many boots that use goretex (Sidi, the BMW All-Rounds pictured above, etc) and they do well in the beginning, but if you wear them all the time off the bike, they will not be waterproof for very long.

All waterproof membranes eventually lose their waterproofing gradually over time. But if you hike in your gore-tex boots, you're going to accelerate this process.

Learn from my mistake!

Back
Top Bottom