What insurance quote should I expect; 19 Year old with M2 and Ninja 250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What insurance quote should I expect; 19 Year old with M2 and Ninja 250

kenabraham

Hi,

I was just wondering what type of the quote for insurance I should be expecting.

Experience: Recently got my M2 + Safety Course
Bike: 2009 Ninja 250 with 11k/kms

My dad and I did it together, he is ~50yrs with an M2 and the safety course.
Should he insure it and me as a secondary driver?
I go to university in downtown Toronto and I also work there, so I'm not home often, if that helps with anything.

Any thoughts on expected quotes? Any recommendations? Thanks! :)

Hi,

I was just wondering what type of the quote for insurance I should be expecting.

Experience: Recently got my M2 + Safety Course
Bike: 2009 Ninja 250 with 11k/kms

My dad and I did it together, he is ~50yrs with an M2 and the safety course.
Should he insure it and me as a secondary driver?
I go to university in downtown Toronto and I also work there, so I'm not home often, if that helps with anything.

Any thoughts on expected quotes? Any recommendations? Thanks! :)
Hi, no point in guessing. Best to just call around. I would start with Dalton Timmis, Mitchel and Whale, and Paul/Chris South over at Surnet insurance.

Won't be too expensive for a 250.

You made the smart choice regarding bike\

Shop around get quotes from multiple people

Thanks, and would you advise being put on as an additional driver? Cause my dad is quoted at like 50 dollars/month

Unless your dad is the actual regular routine rider on the bike, no, this is a terrible idea - google “Material misrepresentation” specific to insurance.

And I agree with all others, there is no sense in speculating prices as there are so many variables it’s impossible for anybody to come up with anything even remotely concrete – call around.

If your father add you as second rider, you'll be added as rider to ALL OF THE BIKES under that policy. Means if he rides a litre bike, get ready to hear some rate over 5K!

If your father add you as second rider, you'll be added as rider to ALL OF THE BIKES under that policy. Means if he rides a litre bike, get ready to hear some rate over 5K!

19 with fresh license? If he can get 5K on a litre bike the insurer + under writers must be asleep at the wheel lol :)

As many have said, call around and quote. I think previous posters quote of 1.5 - 2K is pretty accurate; especially given your location.

As stated if your dad gets a separate bike (say even a 600 sportbike), you may have to look into your company providing an exclusion on the policy where by you agree "not to ride his bike ever, you won't be insured if you do"; otherwise you would be on the hook for insane rates simply by association. I know most companies will ask when you get insurance if there are any other bikes/riders in the household; this is specifically the reason.

19 with fresh license? If he can get 5K on a litre bike the insurer + under writers must be asleep at the wheel lol :)

As many have said, call around and quote. I think previous posters quote of 1.5 - 2K is pretty accurate; especially given your location.

As stated if your dad gets a separate bike (say even a 600 sportbike), you may have to look into your company providing an exclusion on the policy where by you agree "not to ride his bike ever, you won't be insured if you do"; otherwise you would be on the hook for insane rates simply by association. I know most companies will ask when you get insurance if there are any other bikes/riders in the household; this is specifically the reason.
Essentially yup. My gf isn't allowed to ride my 600..... By me and my insurance lol

My insurance companies have always asked "how many people at the same residence hold an M license" my wife does and I pay more because of it despite the fact I informed them she physically can not ride either of my licensed street bikes and I have removed the passenger pegs from one of my bikes, which surprisingly did absolutely nothing to improve my premiums. ymmv.

Best luck, stay safe, learn lots and have tons of fun. Your premiums will probably decrease a little in several years and then if you keep the bike a long, long time they will probably double and then eventually triple due to inflation. Your rates are not solely determined by your own rider history they are significantly impacted by everybody else who makes a claim, the only guarantee is that the insurance company can charge as much as is required to turn a health profit. ... poor guys have gotta pay for those big sky scraper office buildings somehow!

-> good place to start:
https://www.ridersplus.com/get-a-quote/ their on-line quote is close to what I usually end up paying

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom