New Rider just got my M1 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider just got my M1

NORTHYORKRIDER

Hey Guys,

I am:

22 Year Old Male
Single.
Area: North York (On the border of Markham/Scarborough/North York)
M1: April 2018
M2: Registered will do Training course within 2 weeks with Learning Curves

My Motorbike: 2013 Ninja300-ABS

I've been shopping for quotes, and companies like Statefarm and MW are giving me rates like "$3700/year" or for MW it is "$9,000/year" which honestly all sound like F*** Off rates to me. Is there a specific company I should look at?

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I am:

22 Year Old Male
Single.

I've been shopping for quotes, and companies like Statefarm and MW are giving me rates like "$3700/year" or for MW it is "$9,000/year" which honestly all sound like F*** Off rates to me. Is there a specific company I should look at?

Thanks!

Call around and call everybody possible.

Pre-M2 prices can be pretty harsh. Call at least a dozen companies to get a better idea

Hey Guys,

I am:

22 Year Old Male
Single.

Thanks!
Do these quotes factor in your M2 or just M1? Try calling Dalton Timmis brokers (Aviva/intact), Desjardins (they don't write sport bikes, but I would think 300cc should be ok).

Best to ask them to assume you have your M2 to get an idea of the premium. Some insurers would give you good rates after you pass the course, even though you have to wait 60 days from M1 to graduate to M2.

No point getting insured before passing the course.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I am:

22 Year Old Male
Single.

Thanks!

Also call after you get your M2, I did my M2 with Learning Curves and they were great. I got really high rates beforehand and got cheaper one after my M2 was official. I'm the same age as you and I got quoted at 230 for a cbr300r when I first started asking around.

The thing is my buddy who has an H3. Got his quote from TD for $1390/year. Which is so cheap compared to mine, and the engine displacement is almost the same for our bikes. His insurance is for M1 only, which makes no sense to me. I have no tickets, and I haven't received any kind infraction since I've started driving.

For statefarm, i asked the guy to factor in M2 and he said it would only decrease by $200/Year which is bonkers. Pretty Lost but I will call Aviva and those other companies to see the rates tomorrow, if this rates dont make sense than I think my motorbike will be a garage queen until I can afford to spend almost the price on the bike for insurance.

Get your m2 and call coseco. Also try any broker that will sell Aviva insurance. Mitchell and Whale is one such broker.

Hey Guys,

I am:

22 Year Old Male
Single.

Thanks!

Aviva will have very competitive rates on that motorcycle as long as you do not have 2 or more convictions on your record within the last 3 years.

Contact me if you would like to obtain a quote through them.

Thanks!

Sounds like they are quoting M1 prices.

I assume you don't have the bike yet, so just tell anyone asking you just passed the M2 course for a better idea of the rates. Since it's a training program you should receive a discount for 3 years on top of the reduction.

Sounds like they are quoting M1 prices.

I assume you don't have the bike yet, so just tell anyone asking you just passed the M2 course for a better idea of the rates. Since it's a training program you should receive a discount for 3 years on top of the reduction.
+1 passing the course first.

I bought a 650 with M1. Then figured out can't insure it! Asked the dealership to hold it until I do the course!

MW are giving me rates like "$3700/year" or for MW it is "$9,000/year"
using the Online Quote tool for me (29, Just outside Waterloo) it gave me $121/month ($1456/year) through Echelon, $128/month ($1542/year) through Aviva & $301/month ($3609/Year) through Intact, If I Change my Birthdate to get a Quote as a 22 Year old it goes up to $180/month ($2154/year) through Aviva, $209/month ($2503/year) through Echelon & $652/month ($7826/year) through Intact. That's with a purchase price of $5592 (Based on Price of a new 2016 Model on Kawasaki.ca (MSRP of $5799-850 from the Mega Cash Deal=$4949+13% for Tax=$5592.37)), 11000km of Pleasure/Year, $1Mil Liability with $500 Collision & Comprehensive Deductibles, M1 in April & M2 in June with Rider Training (Safety Course), 0 Insurance History & Clean Record.

Chances are they are giving you a Quote for Intact as that's the Most Expensive of the 3 it gave me.

Last edited:
I'll echo what everyone has mentioned, M1 rates are terrible compared to M2.

A GOOD insurance representative will be able to explain to you the difference. I'd suggest reaching out to Ronn Calderon at Dalton Timmis (ronnc@daltontimmis.com); he was a great help both in rates and explaining the insurance landscape given my situation when I was looking originally. I'm not affiliated with him and don't even have insurance through him but can say for your type of bike/age, he probably will be a great help as they seem to be drawn to smaller CC bikes (ie non-blacklist)

As he put it: Basically M1 rates will typically be sky high because you haven't proved to any insurance company that you are CAPABLE of even staying up on two wheels, working the mechanics of a motorcycle even, all you've done is passed a written test. Getting your M2 through a course shows that you 1) Received professional instructions + safety training 2) Have passed the physical ministry approved test.

The two important bits many get confused on/aren't aware of: That being said, you just got your M1 (say April 20th for simplicity sake), if you were to do the course NEXT WEEK and pass, with papers to upgrade to your M2 in 60 days (June 20 for simplicity, the minimum waiting time); you could call your insurance company and most (I know Ronn Calderon had told me he does it), will quote and write your insurance as if you HAVE your M2 and you could be on the road riding with your M1 license/restrictions but M2 rates the day after you complete your course, there is no need to wait until you officially have your M2 60 days down the road; they will extend that rate.

On the flip side, if you go today and get insurance with your M1 at $5000 annually; no company will reduce it THIS season simply because you got your M2 60-90 days from now from what I understand; your price reduction will only occur next season upon renewal.

More and more insurance companies are moving to the point where they either won't insure you without your M2 or will charge you sky high and if you pay it so be it; win win for them. TDMM basically told me 3 years continuous riding experience or do the course.

Back
Top Bottom