Anyone have experience with dealing with RSI/carpal tunnel? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone have experience with dealing with RSI/carpal tunnel?

I believe her employment status may have a lot to do with the actions taken by the employer. You don't say if she is full time, part time, casual, contract or how long she has been there. All of these factors are taken into account when dealing with a workplace 'injury'. Yes, they shouldn't be, but they are.

As I understand it... there hasn't been an actual claim made with WSIB.
Have her and/or her doctor fill out the required WSIB forms and make a claim...

Fulltime, part time, casual.. or temp.... Doesn't matter... All are covered by WSIB unless she's being paid 'under the table'

Calling WSIB without having made a claim is a waste of time...

Operational Policy Manual (OPM)

"Once an accident report has been received by the WSIB, a claim is set up and assigned to the appropriate operating area."

"In a
gradual onset disablement claim, the date of injury is established using the date of first medical attention which led to the diagnosis, or the date of diagnosis, whichever is earlier. An example of a gradual onset disablement claim is where a worker gradually develops left wrist and hand symptoms from work-related duties and is diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome."

As I understand it... there hasn't been an actual claim made with WSIB.
Have her and/or her doctor fill out the required WSIB forms and make a claim...

Fulltime, part time, casual.. or temp.... Doesn't matter... All are covered by WSIB unless she's being paid 'under the table'

Calling WSIB without having made a claim is a waste of time...

Agree on all the above. The steps for establishing a WSIB claim is as follows:

1 -Report the incident to the employer. Seems this has already been done.

2- Fill out and return any paperwork provided by the employer.

3- Visit your family doctor (that knows your medical history) and report the issue...even if you don't have anything back from WSIB as of yet. Be sure to tell them it is WSIB related as they will have to submit paperwork to WSIB - yes, they can do that even before you have anything from WSIB or there's even a claim number yet.

4- Wait to talk to an adjudicator from WSIB.

The issue with "chronic" things like carpal tunnel is that WSIB is a colossal PITA when it comes to anything slow onset. If you don't have an exact day, hour, minute and location when the issue "suddenly occurred" it can draw things out...ESPECIALLY if the employer refutes the claim and says that the issue could have been caused by something outside the workplace. Ask me how I know.

Tell her to document the crap out of her work environment and the machinery and equipment that she uses on a routine basis that she feels caused the issue.

Last edited:
What is she doing with her two weeks off? Doc should have sent her to see a physiotherapist. They can help.

The issue with "chronic" things like carpal tunnel is that WSIB is a colossal PITA when it comes to anything slow onset. If you don't have an exact day, hour, minute and location when the issue "suddenly occurred" it can draw things out...ESPECIALLY if the employer refutes the claim and says that the issue could have been caused by something outside the workplace. Ask me how I know...
This is the point I was making in a prior post. I had guys that really suffered and IMHO should have been entitled to some recovery time and physio - Nope. It amazed me that when a sewer poked himself with a needle, he was off a we If a sewer poked themselves with a needle - BAM! That was an injury, off to the doctor for a band aid, injury report, and a week off paid.

Not so easy for the stuff that creeps in over time.

This is a WSIB claim. Get a lawyer and start documenting everything.
Many many underground hard rock miners have made claims for carpal tunnel syndrome successfully - 100s if not thousands. The cause is from the vibration of using pneumatic drills and stopers. The WSIB doctors even have a test for carpal tunnel. This is a workplace injury.

Best of luck to you.

EDIT- If you are unionized contact your union rep immediately. If its a good union they will help in assisting you with your claim.

Last edited:
Thank you again for all of your responses.

We have made a WSIB claim and gotten the doctor to assess her btw.

I've forwarded this thread so she can read it as well because the responses are overall great and informative.

...I really hope that one day **** like this is taken more seriously. Seems like a bunch of you have gone through it, and I have as well.

Back
Top Bottom