Average price to paint tank, small side panels and small rear fender? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Average price to paint tank, small side panels and small rear fender?

JP0160

Had a bit of an issue with my paint today, I did 3 coats primer 4 coats black a few days ago and it came out beautiful. Went to clear it today and it resisted terribly even after a proper cleaning. Did the same when I resprayed one part black too. Need to sand and reprime/paint it all in 1 session I think.

Got myself thinking, how much would it be to have someone paint a tank, 2 side panels and a rear fender? Just basic black with high gloss clear. Any members here got a small paint shop?

I do my own painting for the headlights I make and when I use a 2k Clear I hit it within 20 minutes of the base coat. Never failed me.
78527971d57e547252896db72aba5c92.jpg
f2492f226562b9aa038a04e5e832550a.jpg
73feefcb697505acc082fb49e9ccd1ee.jpg

I do my own painting for the headlights I make and when I use a 2k Clear I hit it within 20 minutes of the base coat. Never failed me.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure that was my problem. I did test one piece with a clear a few minutes after the base coat and it came out beautiful, but any coats after the enamel cured turned out terrible. I'll try again today, if I have more issues I'll probably just take them in somewhere.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that was my problem. I did test one piece with a clear a few minutes after the base coat and it came out beautiful, but any coats after the enamel cured turned out terrible. I'll try again today, if I have more issues I'll probably just take them in somewhere.
Enamel and clear might not mix too. Make sure they're compatible.

It's high gloss enamel clear, high gloss enamel black, high solids enamel primer, all by Duplicolor in rattle cans from CT. Ive been doing 3 prime, 1000 grit, 4 black, 1500 grit, 4 clear. The test piece came out like magic, cleared just after the base got tacky. everything that was resprayed after about 48 hours is poop.

Last edited:
It's high gloss enamel clear, high gloss enamel black, high solids enamel primer, all by Duplicolor in rattle cans from CT. Ive been doing 3 prime, 1000 grit, 4 black, 1500 grit, 4 clear. The test piece came out like magic, cleared just after the base got tacky. everything that was resprayed after about 48 hours is poop.

Need to use urethanes for a proper job be careful.. gas will strip this paint

If you have access to a sprayer and a paint booth 2k primer gloss black and urethane clear will be durable. From my experience the rattle can enamels aren’t durable enough for bikes rocks chip paint off easy gas strips it and they fade in the sun real fast

If you have access to a sprayer and a paint booth 2k primer gloss black and urethane clear will be durable. From my experience the rattle can enamels aren’t durable enough for bikes rocks chip paint off easy gas strips it and they fade in the sun real fast

Make sure your tank vents properly too

I don't have a booth, but I do have a sprayer. I did the tank today, it actually came out very nice. I know it won't be a permanent paint job but there were a lot of chips and scratches in the oem paint and it looks much better for the time being. I even got my reproduction decals today, but the tank looks so good I don't want to put them on haha.

DBmYN9w.jpg

I don't have a booth, but I do have a sprayer. I did the tank today, it actually came out very nice. I know it won't be a permanent paint job but there were a lot of chips and scratches in the oem paint and it looks much better for the time being. I even got my reproduction decals today, but the tank looks so good I don't want to put them on haha.

DBmYN9w.jpg
Hmm doesn't look very glossy.
Some Car Quests have 2k Gloss in a can. Give that a shot.

DBmYN9w.jpg

Use a rag around the opening to your tank when you’re filling it and make sure your tank vents are clear and that your gas cap and fuel tap are all good so that gas doesn’t weep out around the cap or leak out of the tap if you need to remove the tank or something and you should be good

Back
Top Bottom