Hello!



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Hello!

  1. #1

    Hello!

    Forum Sponsor
    Hi Everyone,

    I just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Mike and I got my M2 only last year. So, I'm really new to the sport, but have been interested for the longest time!

    I am eager to participate in this forum and learn as much I can to help me purchase my first bike.

    Hope to hear from you all soon.

  2. #2

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome!
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    scarborough
    Posts
    398

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by SVeezy; 04-17-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary/unintentional quote

  4. #4
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,286

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome to GTAM.

    Got any particular bikes in mind?
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  5. #5
    Razor17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    270

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome!

  6. #6

    Re: Hello!

    Sport bike either 250cc or 300cc. Need to find something nice to learn on. Any solid suggestions?
    I've looked at the cbr, ninja, and R3, but open to any suggestions really.

  7. #7

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Welcome to GTAM.

    Got any particular bikes in mind?
    Sport bike either 250cc or 300cc. Need to find something nice to learn on. Any solid suggestions?
    I've looked at the cbr, ninja, and R3, but open to any suggestions really.

  8. #8

    Re: Hello!

    Any of them are good starters R3 gets my vote, had one and loved it.

    Go 300+ not 250.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  9. #9

    Re: Hello!

    Thanks Evoex, but why not <250cc?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    Any of them are good starters R3 gets my vote, had one and loved it.

    Go 300+ not 250.

  10. #10

    Re: Hello!

    1) Not very stable on the highway
    2) You'll outgrow it fairly quickly, at least on a 300 you can continue to build skills and take it to the track.
    3) Insurance difference shouldn't be much
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  11. #11

    Re: Hello!

    Thanks for the insight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    1) Not very stable on the highway
    2) You'll outgrow it fairly quickly, at least on a 300 you can continue to build skills and take it to the track.
    3) Insurance difference shouldn't be much

  12. #12

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome. One of the things that often surprises new riders is the issue of insurance. Before you dish out for a new (or new to you) bike, make sure you've lined up insurance you can afford. 300cc bikes are typically cheap but for, say, a 17 year old male, new rider living in Toronto it could still be prohibitive. You don't mention your age or location so I'm just throwing this out as an example. If you're 50, have 30 years of clean driving on a G (well, GM2 now) and have a car or two and a house with insurance company 'X', you might get bike insurance fairly cheap.

    Sport bikes -- even 300cc ones -- are sometimes frowned upon by insurance companies. Some consider anything with "Ninja" in the name to be "blacklisted"; they think if it's a "Ninja" it's just gotta be like a ZX-10RR. If you get grief like that from your insurer you might consider a different kind of bike: Instead of a CBR500R, think CB500F. Instead of Ninja 300, think Versys 300. Or maybe a cruiser; you can generally get quite a few more cc's for your insurance dollar in the cruiser/touring category than in the "sport" category.

    Check with your insurer. If you find they're not willing to help you out, look a the insurance forum here for brokers and agents who might be able to help you more.
    2011 Yamaha FZS800
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,056

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    Welcome. One of the things that often surprises new riders is the issue of insurance. Before you dish out for a new (or new to you) bike, make sure you've lined up insurance you can afford. 300cc bikes are typically cheap but for, say, a 17 year old male, new rider living in Toronto it could still be prohibitive. You don't mention your age or location so I'm just throwing this out as an example. If you're 50, have 30 years of clean driving on a G (well, GM2 now) and have a car or two and a house with insurance company 'X', you might get bike insurance fairly cheap.

    Sport bikes -- even 300cc ones -- are sometimes frowned upon by insurance companies. Some consider anything with "Ninja" in the name to be "blacklisted"; they think if it's a "Ninja" it's just gotta be like a ZX-10RR. If you get grief like that from your insurer you might consider a different kind of bike: Instead of a CBR500R, think CB500F. Instead of Ninja 300, think Versys 300. Or maybe a cruiser; you can generally get quite a few more cc's for your insurance dollar in the cruiser/touring category than in the "sport" category.

    Check with your insurer. If you find they're not willing to help you out, look a the insurance forum here for brokers and agents who might be able to help you more.
    I used to keep both in my garage, a VStar 250 and a Ninja250 - they usually cost the same to insure.

    With respect to insuring Ninjas, you're safe with anything that begins with ER or EX, they are Sport Touring bikes. Ninjas prefixed with a GP or Z will be in the highest insurance categories, they are SS. So goes it for most manufacturers, choose the SS version and your insurance can easily be double the ST version.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

  14. #14

    Re: Hello!

    Hello, I m new here. Very Much interested in Bike. I too Love M2 Bike

  15. #15
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,501

    Re: Hello!

    Kenya is now GTA-East

    welcome to the forum

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Woodville
    Posts
    366

    Re: Hello!

    I rode bigger bikes when I was in my 20's KZ1000 Goldwing, and I've been back riding for three years. My Honda CBR250 is:

    1. Quite stable on the highway.
    2. Can get me a speeding ticket anywhere in Canada. It's also fun to ride in the twisties and is used by some riding schools on the track. It will not keep up on the straights with the big boys, but you don't have the skills for that for a few years anyway.
    3. Agreed on the insurance. My 250 ABS model is actually a little cheaper than my 125.
    4. Since the 250's have been discontinued and replaced by 300 cc models, they are cheap to buy and run. There will always be resale value of these bikes that are in good condition for newer / entry level riders. The 300 will cost more but likely sell for a little more in three years.

    I agree that saving a few bucks up front isn't of any value if you have to spend more next year, but also consider that you need to invest a fair bit in year one for protective gear. Also, scratching a $2000 bike hurts less than scratching a $4000 bike.

    If you have the cash and the insurance is affordable, a 300 is probably the better choice. If money is an issue, a 250 will serve you well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    1) Not very stable on the highway
    2) You'll outgrow it fairly quickly, at least on a 300 you can continue to build skills and take it to the track.
    3) Insurance difference shouldn't be much
    Last edited by jeff96; 05-15-2018 at 12:19 PM.

  17. #17

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome!

  18. #18

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff96 View Post
    I rode bigger bikes when I was in my 20's KZ1000 Goldwing, and I've been back riding for three years. My Honda CBR250 is:

    1. Quite stable on the highway.
    I would not say they deal with crosswinds or buffeting from bigger vehicles well at all actually. If you disagree with that then i'm not sure what to tell you.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

  19. #19

    Re: Hello!

    Welcome, may I suggest the CBR300, I put 35000km on mine in 2 years and loved it.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Woodville
    Posts
    366

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    I would not say they deal with crosswinds or buffeting from bigger vehicles well at all actually. If you disagree with that then i'm not sure what to tell you.
    I'm not sure what to say either. I commute on the 404 and I take the car only when it's snowing. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine anywhere. I'm assuming you've ridden the 250 and had some issues?
    I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm genuinely confused about your take on this
    Last edited by jeff96; 05-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •