Registering a bike from Quebec in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering a bike from Quebec in Ontario

smergy

Site Supporter
If one buys a motorcycle through a private sale in Quebec, do you need to register the motorcycle with the SAAQ first (to change the ownership to your own name, the apply for the QST rebate)? Or can you directly register it at the MTO with a bill of sale and a Quebec title in the seller's name?

so according to Service Ontario you don't need to have the title in your name through the SAAQ, but the Quebec seller says you need to go to the SAAQ. Maybe they just want to make sure the title gets transferred?

so according to Service Ontario you don't need to have the title in your name through the SAAQ, but the Quebec seller says you need to go to the SAAQ. Maybe they just want to make sure the title gets transferred?
Can they go to a service Ontario with you just over the border

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

apparently both people need to go to the SAAQ when transferring a title. There is some proxy option. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar transaction.

To me it seems like the SAAQ doesn't need to be involved at all, but the seller seems to think so

They don't need to be part of the service ontario bit, but apparently I need to be part of the SAAQ bit. I'm just wondering how true that is.

Can they go to a service Ontario with you just over the border

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They don't need to be part of the service ontario bit, but apparently I need to be part of the SAAQ bit. I'm just wondering how true that is.
You don't need to go to the saaq at all. I have picked up a bike in Quebec (not mine) brought it back to Ontario and my friend had everything done here at Service Ontario. I believe if the vehicle is staying in Quebec both parties must be present.
If you do go to the saaq with them, you will pay Quebec sales tax and then have to file a request to get it back after paying Ontario taxes.
It is much easier on your end to just buy the bike and head for Ontario.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have purchased several vehicles from Quebec just make sure you have a bill of sale and the signed Quebec ownership from the seller. MTO will do the transfer in Ontario.

awesome thanks guys.

there really needs to be a sticky about this topic from someone who knows the entire process and potential traps/pitfalls, kind of like the one about bringing a bike from the states...

You don't need to go to the saaq at all. I have picked up a bike in Quebec (not mine) brought it back to Ontario and my friend had everything done here at Service Ontario. I believe if the vehicle is staying in Quebec both parties must be present.
If you do go to the saaq with them, you will pay Quebec sales tax and then have to file a request to get it back after paying Ontario taxes.
It is much easier on your end to just buy the bike and head for Ontario.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I did the same with a bike out of Michigan to save the double tax hit. I signed a letter promising the seller I wouldn't ride the bike until I completed the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom