Flip down sun visor | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flip down sun visor

Having had many helmets over many years and now owning a Shoei GT-Air - it's such an awesome helmet. As mentioned here already the sun visor is really good. I find it extremely clear to look through and the sliding mechanism is very smooth. I also find this helmet is quiet enough that I almost don't feel the need to wear earplugs on the highway.

I've got an HJC modular with the flip-down visor but like mentioned before by someone it's not the best at it's purpose. I asked a tint shop if they could put a strip of tint on it and nope, can only tint glass.

Anyone come up with a solution to darken a flip-down visor?

Expensive, but maybe an optician? They tint plastic lenses for sunglasses.

Never occurred to me and I know someone in the business ... thanks.

How much does your safety concern you? Remember, the chin bar isn't a solid construct on a modular in the way that it is on a full-face. Hinges can fail. Locks can fail. I would say that's the prime consideration.

A bigger concern to me is forgetting to lock the chin bar down when riding. I've forgotten once or twice, correcting when I felt the breeze. Some people do it deliberately commenting favourably on the cooling effect. In a crash the extended chin piece could add head / neck damage risks due to leverage. I don't think any modular helmet passes any test with the bar up.

FWIW I did a face-plant the other day and wasn't even on the bike. Romping with my daughters dog, it cut me off and I tripped over it's leash. Most of me landed on lawn but my chin got the driveway. Cut lip, sore jaw muscles and abrasions on the chin.

Makes me think about riding lidless "Only if I'm going slow" and what it would look like in the event of an "Off".

ATGATT when walking the dog.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, GP bikes has the Bell Revolver Evo modular helmet with built-in sun visor on clearance for just $150 no hst. Good deal, IMO.

How good is a $150.00 helmet. Not everyone can or wants to justify ten times that price but rehab isn't cheap either.

I'm due for a new lid and $150 looks good but when things are too cheap I get nervous. At what price level is it considered junk even though it has a DOT sticker. $150 sounds cheap but what was the list price?

How good is a $150.00 helmet. Not everyone can or wants to justify ten times that price but rehab isn't cheap either.

I'm due for a new lid and $150 looks good but when things are too cheap I get nervous. At what price level is it considered junk even though it has a DOT sticker. $150 sounds cheap but what was the list price?

I don't recall the list price, but fortnine.ca has it for $270, and Revzilla for $200 usd. As long as it's from a reputable brand, and is DOT certified, I would buy it. I think it's going for cheap because they're trying to clear out the older models.

That being said, I opted to buy a Bell Star helmet instead. It's not a modular helmet, nor does it have a drop down visor .. but it is DOT and Snell rated and is much lighter than the revolver, if that helps. RD is clearing it out for $270 no tax. This is the 2016 model and used to cost $600+ when it launched.

I have an HJC IS16 with the flip down visor. I absolutely love it. no more messing with sunglasses or putting on or off tinted shields.

I've got an HJC modular with the flip-down visor but like mentioned before by someone it's not the best at it's purpose. I asked a tint shop if they could put a strip of tint on it and nope, can only tint glass.

Anyone come up with a solution to darken a flip-down visor?

Tint and UV protection are different things and tint w/o UV protection is a bad combo. You pupils dilate and let the UV pour in.

You used to be able to get a pour on liquid tint but that was decades ago if the still make it.

Budgets: I categorize under $500 as low end, $500 to $1000 as mid-range and over $1,000 as top of the line. Agree or not?

Those would be list prices. Sales are a bonus.

Budgets: I categorize under $500 as low end, $500 to $1000 as mid-range and over $1,000 as top of the line. Agree or not?

Those would be list prices. Sales are a bonus.

I'd start around $300.

Back
Top Bottom