Flip down sun visor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flip down sun visor

bigguy1

Hi,

Do any of you own or have experience with the helmets that have flip down sun visors?

Are they pretty much all the same? Do they work well, or are sunglasses still required?

Hi,

Do any of you own or have experience with the helmets that have flip down sun visors?

Are they pretty much all the same? Do they work well, or are sunglasses still required?

Don't know if they are all the same. But my cheap $80 Canadian Tire helmet came with one- and it's pretty good. Eliminates the need of carrying sunglasses, and you can easily flip it on and off..Totally worth it!

If anyone is interested, GP bikes has the Bell Revolver Evo modular helmet with built-in sun visor on clearance for just $150 no hst. Good deal, IMO.

If anyone is interested, GP bikes has the Bell Revolver Evo modular helmet with built-in sun visor on clearance for just $150 no hst. Good deal, IMO.

Thats actually one of the ones I was looking at. Got the link to their site from the “looking for a helmet” thread. That one and the HJC IS17 both look good

Thats actually one of the ones I was looking at. Got the link to their site from the “looking for a helmet” thread. That one and the HJC IS17 both look good

It's a good helmet. Slightly heavy because it's modular. Best to try it on before purchasing though.

I've used a Schuberth helmet with one for years now. It's an excellent thing to have in a helmet. No pressure points on the side of the head from sunglasses. No going out on a ride with a tinted visor and getting stuck out after dark with it. When I replace my helmet, I'll be getting another with the integral visor.

They do work, and are great for commuting or touring. They are not all the same, though. My wife had an older HJC model where the internal visor didn't come down far enough, so you were always looking through the lower edge of the visor. On top of that the visor was not very good optically, so there was quite a bit of distortion. It was also spring loaded and retracted with an incredibly loud clang.

We now have Shoei GT-Airs which have a much nicer cable-operated system, so no crazy clang when it retracts. And the inner visor has almost no optical distortion, which is really nice. On my bike & seating position the lower edge of the inner visor happens to line up with my gauges, so that can be distracting until you get used to it.

I have them on my modular and full face street helmets (both Sharks) and love them. In cold weather, you can get fog on the drop down. A pin lock on the main visor will keep it clear, but does not prevent the drop down from fogging.

I won’t buy a helmet without one. I like them.

+1

It has become a must have feature in a helmet. I used to carry a clear visor around as I always had a dark tinted visor. A pain to be swapping out later in the day and just so simple to use a lever and have the tinted visor drop down or go back up. Both my main helmets (Schuberth C3 Pro and Nexx XD1) have them and any helmet in the future will have them as well. Really are fantastic things.

Make sure to try the helmet on. the sun visors in helmets all come down differently - I found the one in the helmet I wanted was rubbing on my nose - glad I went to GP and didn't just order on line. Did get the Shoei Evo modular after trying a number of options and love the sun visor

Make sure to try the helmet on. the sun visors in helmets all come down differently - I found the one in the helmet I wanted was rubbing on my nose - glad I went to GP and didn't just order on line. Did get the Shoei Evo modular after trying a number of options and love the sun visor
+1. Also, all helmets fit differently. Best to try it on before purchasing it.

Since we're on the topic of modular helmets with sun visors, I would like to ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. Are these modular helmets not recommended for street riding on SS (full or 3/4 tuck position) ? I'm not able to find a proper answer.

Was watching some reviews on Revzilla, and their reviewers seem to classify helmets in the upright riding position vs. 3/4 or full tuck. Is it just the air flow that's affected or would it be uncomfortable to use a modular helmet designed for upright riding on a SS ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
+1. Also, all helmets fit differently. Best to try it on before purchasing it.

Since we're on the topic of modular helmets with sun visors, I would like to ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. Are these modular helmets not recommended for street riding on SS (full or 3/4 tuck position) ? I'm not able to find a proper answer.

Was watching some reviews on Revzilla, and their reviewers seem to classify helmets in the upright riding position vs. 3/4 or full tuck. Is it just the air flow that's affected or would it be uncomfortable to use a modular helmet designed for upright riding on a SS ?

Thanks!

How much does your safety concern you? Remember, the chin bar isn't a solid construct on a modular in the way that it is on a full-face. Hinges can fail. Locks can fail. I would say that's the prime consideration.

How much does your safety concern you? Remember, the chin bar isn't a solid construct on a modular in the way that it is on a full-face. Hinges can fail. Locks can fail. I would say that's the prime consideration.

yet most if not all have at least one of the required safety standards

DOT, ECE 22.05 and Snell

The Schuberth C4 Pro has the following - DOT and ECE certified

Well, I considered all of that based on the reviews and went with the Bell Star (non-modular) helmet. Now I'm thinking of getting a spare second helmet, and thought maybe could get the Bell revolver with a sun visor. Generally, I don't like to carry a backpack when I ride, and wouldn't want to carry a spare tinted shield. The transition visor is $200+ whereas, the Bell Revolver helmet is only $150.

yet most if not all have at least one of the required safety standards

DOT, ECE 22.05 and Snell

The Schuberth C4 Pro has the following - DOT and ECE certified

DOT doesn't require a chinbar to pass. Which of many CE certs does it have? Hint: Not all are created equally.

*EDIT* Just checked the CE cert.. *IF* it's a full-face helmet, the chinbar is tested. Was the C4 considered a full-face? Also the deflection permissible is a whopping 60mm.

Last edited:
3rd helmet with the drop down sun visor, love them...GT Air is the best so far

Back
Top Bottom