Need temporary insurance to transport new bike! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need temporary insurance to transport new bike!

dtm252535

Hoping maybe one of the brokers here can chime in, or someone who’s experienced similar. Basically I bought a new bike, I’ll be using a trailer to go pick it up, but I won’t have insurance on the bike yet. Just realizing that it may not be a good idea to be towing it around or even leaving in garage completely uninsured in case of something unforeseen occurring.

Wondering if there’s a way I can insure the bike for the two hour trailer ride back to my place at the very least.....maybe covered under the car insurance?...

Is it your trailer, or are you renting? B/C the rental place will happily sell you the insurance for that. You might get it by default, it's been a while since I've done it

I rented a Uhaul bike trailer a few weeks ago, you are offered separate insurance for whats in the trailer for up to 5K$. It wasn't much extra and would have covered what I paid for the bike had something happened, like accident or mechanical failure of the tailer. Seemed worth it mho.

Thanks guys! It’s my dad’s trailer actually, did a bunch of research but unclear as to whether the trailer actually has to be “registered” with the insurance company or something in order for it’s cargo to be covered. I could have him call tomorrow to see. The uhaul/rental option with their insurance is an interesting idea, although I’d hate to have to go through them if anything happened.

For liability purposes trailers do not need to be on a policy to be covered while towing - they automatically get extended as part of the vehicles coverage.

For collision and comprehensive (on the trailer itself), they do. Nobody insures a utility trailer (for example) for that obviously, but I had our 5th wheel RV insured for full coverage.

Now, as for the bike being insured ON the trailer during the tow, unless the trailer is insured with colission and comprehensive, I doubt you'd get anything in it covered, especially considering it's another vehicle being towed in it as cargo - they'd tell you that it would be on it's own policy yet.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure how that works.

So, if U-Haul is an option for a trailer and they are willing to offer coverage for the bike itself while it's in there that would solve that problem, although that's a pretty short period of time (unless you're bringing the bike from hours and hours away) to be that worried about - you may be overthinking this.

I suspect that aince it’s a vehicle, it would never be considered to be cargo: i.e. needs its own policy/coverage.

if you are planning to get a full policy later on, why not start it early?

I suspect that aince it’s a vehicle, it would never be considered to be cargo: i.e. needs its own policy/coverage.

if you are planning to get a full policy later on, why not start it early?

This you can get comprehensive and theft on the bike now then add the liability and collision later when the bike is plated

For collision and comprehensive (on the trailer itself), they do. Nobody insures a utility trailer (for example) for that obviously, but I had our 5th wheel RV insured for full coverage.

Don't say no one pays for insurance on that. I do ... It costs me a WHOPPING $38 bucks a year for full coverage (collision / comprehensive @ $0.00 dedutible) ... also includes theft on it from the comp insurance since I leave mine on the driveway with just a lock on it. Course most utility trailers are only at like $500 or $1000 but mine was way more than that since it is all aluminum and folds up.

Back
Top Bottom