Riding someone else's bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding someone else's bike

itsme

Hi guys, maybe a dumb question. I am wondering what happens if a rider gets pulled over by police when riding someone else's bike (ownership, Insurance under someone else's name).

Hi guys, maybe a dumb question. I am wondering what happens if a rider gets pulled over by police when riding someone else's bike (ownership, Insurance under someone else's name).

I think I called my insurance to ask that, and they said the motorcycle owner's insurance will get dinged if something were to happen. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

If the owner is not present (maybe riding your bike?), then I suppose the cop would verify whether the bike is stolen.

If the bike is registered to them and insured by them, you are legal - you can loan a vehicle to another properly licenced driver legally and insurance covers that.

If you get a ticket, it goes against the drivers/riders licence.

If the bike is in an accident, it goes against the owners insurance.

You’ll need to show the registration and insurance slip, else there is a charge for fail-to-provide this.

If you are covered under your own ontario auto insurance policy, if there was an incident, medical coverage and liability would come from your own policy, with collision coming from the owner’s policy.

The insurance company may not like this if you are living at the same address as the owner and are not listed on the policy, or if your use of the bike is a regular, frequent activity.

Back
Top Bottom