Riding pants, any recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding pants, any recommendations?

HonDerpa500r

Morning everyone,
I’m looking at getting some pants to finish off my riding gear, since I only wear jeans for riding right now.
I have an alpine textile jacket and would hopefully like to stick with that brand, but am open to other opinions.

I ride a sports bike, so would like something that suits that, no assless chaps.

Also, how do motorcycle pants compared to normal street jean, do you have to buy a size bigger due to the extra padding, etc. I’m 6’4 and wear a 36x36 jean, which is already hard enough to find that fits my legs properly, so hopefully motorcycle pants are a little easier to find.

Any suggestions for pants?

I wear resurgence motorcycle jeans, seen guys go down at 100km and barely scratch them

What bigpoppa said ... If you aren't planning long tips I think armored jeans might work the best for you.

I’m also in search of my first riding pants. Need them to go over my work pants so I can just slip them off when I get to work. Definitely need ones that breath well and keep cool for summer. I see many of the mesh/textile ones come with removable layers, and some complain the pants are still on the heavy side....are the layers a good idea to have or will those that come with layers still be warmer than ones that don’t?

Are these skinny fit? Their leather jackets are. Was barely able to fit in despite sizing up 2 levels.

watch the video in the link.....the guy wearing is no skinny guy....just size appropriately. Just bought these and they are sweet. But if you ride with an alpinestars jacket I would get Alpinestars pants as they zip together.

the guy on Fortnine is 6'3" just for reference.

re: dainese new drake riding pants
Its not skinny fit but "slim" it has a nice tapered legs (with zippers) so no flapping.
other features. back of the pants is raised slightly so not butt crack showing. had them for about 3 years, the quality is excellent, everything is working, the stitching has held up. surprisingly there a little bit of "give" in the pants. i have gained some weight and the button is hanging on for dear life and my gut is hanging over but i am still ok to ride and don't even notice. later

Last edited:
watch the video in the link.....the guy wearing is no skinny guy....just size appropriately. Just bought these and they are sweet. But if you ride with an alpinestars jacket I would get Alpinestars pants as they zip together.

Thanks. Just watched the video, looks like slim fit. Doesn't look like my style, but will have to try them on to know for sure. Sizing is tricky with the Italians.

Kilm K51 looks like the best option. Great protection, and do not "look" like riding jeans so can wear at work. Price is steep at $400, but perhaps worth it given what it offers. Need to save up for this.

Kilm K51 looks like the best option. Great protection, and do not "look" like riding jeans so can wear at work. Price is steep at $400, but perhaps worth it given what it offers. Need to save up for this.

I second the Klim KFifty1 if you're looking for a looser fit in the legs. I own a pair which I bought online a while back. I typically wear 32x32 and bought a size 32. Well constructed and high quality, but they are a bit too baggy for my own personal taste. I only wear them in the winter with a base layer underneath these days. They definitely do not look like riding jeans while offering good protection.

I second the Klim KFifty1 if you're looking for a looser fit in the legs. I own a pair which I bought online a while back. I typically wear 32x32 and bought a size 32. Well constructed and high quality, but they are a bit too baggy for my own personal taste. I only wear them in the winter with a base layer underneath these days. They definitely do not look like riding jeans while offering good protection.

Slightly loose fit is what I'm looking for. Not too baggy though, don't want it flapping around on the highway. Next time I'm around GP bikes, I'll be sure to try them on and maybe purchase it if it's to my liking. Thanks for the feedback!

What type of ride do you guys typically use “riding jeans” for? I know for my 20-25 minute daily commute I wanted adequate protection, so I picked up a pair of airglides. I’m at a loss for many scenarios where the compromise in protection from riding jeans would be worth it...full disclosure I just bought my first bike so I’m by no means speaking from experience, I guess I just figured it get the proper protection for any substantial ride, and if it’s just a trip to the mall or something, just wear regular jeans? Are you guys really putting these things on every time you run to the corner store? Enlighten me! Partly because I want an excuse to buy a pair lol.

What type of ride do you guys typically use “riding jeans” for? I know for my 20-25 minute daily commute I wanted adequate protection, so I picked up a pair of airglides. I’m at a loss for many scenarios where the compromise in protection from riding jeans would be worth it...full disclosure I just bought my first bike so I’m by no means speaking from experience, I guess I just figured it get the proper protection for any substantial ride, and if it’s just a trip to the mall or something, just wear regular jeans? Are you guys really putting these things on every time you run to the corner store? Enlighten me! Partly because I want an excuse to buy a pair lol.

You could base it on speed/scenarios. If you`re going 3 blocks away at 40km/hr, regular jeans would be a decent substitution. If you hit the highway/higher speeds and the distance is substantial, throw on the good stuff.

Just keep in mind it's not just the resistance to abrasion but also the impact on your joints/hips.

I have had the Alpinestars Raider Drystar pants for a little over a month and around 1200km seat time. I heartily recommend them as commuter/sport touring pants with some spirited street riding thrown in. They fit great and zips up with my a* leather jacket. Slim but the leg is adjustable so I can actually fit them over my SMX-6 boots. They come with CE1 Knee and upper shin pads that line up with my boots. The hip pad option needs to be velcro attached as there are no pouches to use something like D3O. It has a non removable Drystar waterproof liner under the shell. It also has a removable thermal, which i tossed after one ride as they just aren't warm enough for their bulk. It has a thigh vent and the pockets are mesh so they vent. It has no back pocket but the seat has no seams so it feels great when changing position on the bike. Worked great last week when I was wearing my 0 degree base layers and it was 15 degrees outside. Opened all the vents and cooled right down. Cant really comment about durability but no loose stiches so far.

Last edited:

I wear jeans at work so just throw on a pair of riding jeans for the urban commute - mostly local roads below 50-60 km/h. I like the fact that they are discreet and have CE armor for impact but the compromise is that they would likely not fare as well as riding pants in a slide.

I don't really use them for highway riding/touring.

Back
Top Bottom