Scratching Harleys | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scratching Harleys

I've always been impressed by the skills in those police school vids. They do things with an 800lb bike you wouldn't think possible. The Electra-Glide is a fantastic machine, but I can't help but think city police would be better off with something more nimble like the current crop of ADV bikes. As we have seen in Oz they're good for catching people using cell phones and other tight spots.

tough bikes
a lot of LE units are buying FJR's now
don't think they'd do as well with repeated dumps

I've always enjoyed and respected the skill in this. Crazy, can you really learn all that in 10 days or are these already motorcycle cops refining their abilities?
Lots of dumping heavy metal.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Pretty good video. Loved the smoking clutch, the offroading and the jump. They really progressed quickly over the 10 days.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I was chatting up some of the golden helmets (OPP parade) at the Feb motorcycle show. I think the training is like 3 weeks, very progressive, and the bikes can do a lot more then what people give them credit for. They gave me a new technique on how to pick up a dropped bike as well.

I wish us mere mortals had access to training like that, I would be interested.

Talked to one recently. Huge amount of continual practice. Guy told me he would'nt do it on his own bike. Can learn yourself. Have to be willing to drop your bike though as it will happen and happen a lot. I try to turn inside of 18'. Always go over by 2-3'.

It would be hard to copy the school as the police can bend the rules. For example take over a park, ride two abreast and not get charged for stunting or careless in the event of a crash.

Could a course like this be taught at a track using the parking lot and track?

Some serious coin needed for bikes, repairs and insurance.

Talked to one recently. Huge amount of continual practice. Guy told me he would'nt do it on his own bike. Can learn yourself. Have to be willing to drop your bike though as it will happen and happen a lot. I try to turn inside of 18'. Always go over by 2-3'.

Slap some frame sliders or a crash cage on, and join a MotoGymkhana group. Assess, practice, and learn from other riders.
On the rare occasion bikes do drop, they're usually because too much brake being applied, or not enough throttle coming out of a sharp turn causing the tip over at usually less than 10km/h resulting in minimal damage.

Back
Top Bottom