Leather care | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leather care

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Good leather is expensive.Usually i clean and treat my leather at the end of the season,but i rode most of the winter this year.My dirt boots (Gaerne Oiled Balance) were in need of attention,so i pressure washed them yesterday and treated them with Feibings tonite.Do this a couple of times a year (skip the pressure wash) and your leathers will last for years.I have used Feibings for about 8 years now.It is easily the best out there.I have in the past used mink oil,neats foot oil,silicone etc etc etc.None have worked as well.
P4130011_zpstrlmd1cf.jpg

Timely post. I just bought some leather gear, jacket, boots, and gloves. Hopeful I can find someplace in the East end to buy that.

Sent from the moon!

you can sometimes find Fiebings at shoe repair shops, ( a dieing industry I think) , and sometimes better shoe stores. It lasts pretty well.

How well leather lasts is often a function of the quality of the leather to start with, companies like Gaerne and Dainese are using better product to start with so that helps.

I've been using saddle soap to clean and a wipe down with solution of neatsfoot and thickened mineral oil for about forever, grew up on a farm with thousands of dollars in harness. It works really well on boots, and harness, but I'd not use it on gloves or garments. It has a particular 'scent'.

Fiebings works wonders. There is something about white leather that makes is more brittle than black. My alpinestars jacket has white and black leather, and the white parts started cracking a bit. The Fiebings brought it back to life and made it oh so soft. Purchased it at Tandy Leather on Tompkin Rd in Mississauga

Tagging this so I can go get some. Too much of my **** needs treating.

Thank you.

I've never washed my boots

Worth noting that as far as I’m aware if your leather products contain GoreTex you will ruin the breathe-ability of the membrane and void the warranty. Also I’ve heard that since GoreTex offers a lifetime warranty on the water proofing that you therefore at any time can claim it’s no longer waterproof and get it replaced but you can’t do that if you’ve treated with a product that isn’t approved by GoreTex.

This could all be incorrect though. I’ve only returned a GoreTex item that was leaking to MEC but they give you an excellent warranty on everything regardless.

Worth noting that as far as I’m aware if your leather products contain GoreTex you will ruin the breathe-ability of the membrane and void the warranty. Also I’ve heard that since GoreTex offers a lifetime warranty on the water proofing that you therefore at any time can claim it’s no longer waterproof and get it replaced but you can’t do that if you’ve treated with a product that isn’t approved by GoreTex.

This could all be incorrect though. I’ve only returned a GoreTex item that was leaking to MEC but they give you an excellent warranty on everything regardless.
GoreTex is not damaged by regular laundering, just stay away from solvent based cleaners and conditioners.

GoreTex doesn't have a lifetime warranty, its a conditional "useful lifetime warranty". The coverage doesn't cover an item that wears out, gets damaged or has improper care.

GoreTex is not damaged by regular laundering, just stay away from solvent based cleaners and conditioners.

GoreTex doesn't have a lifetime warranty, its a conditional "useful lifetime warranty". The coverage doesn't cover an item that wears out, gets damaged or has improper care.

Those leather treatments plug the pores. Especially a thick waxy one like the Fiebings we all love.

The rest I agree with.

Back
Top Bottom