TrapTap | GTAMotorcycle.com

TrapTap

MacDoc

Site Supporter
[video=youtube;-8fYYGSXkeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=-8fYYGSXkeQ[/video]

Kinda neat idea sitting on the dash of the mcycle and useful in the car too. A simple Waze.

Doubt it's legal.If it's not,it will be.Better idea...don't speed.Just another useless waste of technology imho.

It's not radar detector and you might as well ask if Waze is legal.:rolleyes:
This is crowd sourced info.
You see a radar trap it did not alert... tap it.

Oh look, it’s all the things Waze does in an expensive mostly functionless device that still requires a cellphone...that could be just running Waze instead.

And it’s crowdsourced, meaning (unless it’s drawing info from services like Waze anyways, which wouldn’t surprise me) that until the user base reaches a certain critical mass it’s not going to be effective. I was one of the original Waze users in Canada when it first came out, and the crowd sourced information was useless because it was only a handful of us using the app – that has changed of course as it’s become the dominant crowdsourced traffic solution now, but it didn’t happen overnight, and many similar apps that aimed to do the same thing have come and gone.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh look, it’s all the things Waze does in an expensive mostly functionless device that still requires a cellphone...that could be just running Waze instead.

And it’s crowdsourced, meaning (unless it’s drawing info from services like Waze anyways, which wouldn’t surprise me) that until the user base reaches a certain critical mass it’s not going to be effective. I was one of the original Waze users in Canada when it first came out, and the crowd sourced information was useless because it was only a handful of us using the app – that has changed of course as it’s become the dominant crowdsourced traffic solution now, but it didn’t happen overnight, and many similar apps that aimed to do the same thing have come and gone.

ah, I remember the days of "Trapster" - similar thing and concept. Warning of traffic cams and other things. they would provide GPS POI points in a downloadable file which was handy to up load to your GPS.

One thing the article correctly points out using an app is more complex - especially for reporting.
I find my speed alert on TomTom hard to see as the text and flashing red is too small.

Even then tho - it has maybe saved me a ticket especially where a road suddenly drops from 80 to 50 ( Ridgeway in Mississauga ).

Always amusing to see products billed as "wireless" like it's high-tech wizardry. Wireless technology has been in regular use for at least 100 years.

Crowdsourcing? PT Barnum told you so, LOL!

One thing the article correctly points out using an app is more complex - especially for reporting

I heard that bit, but I don’t necessarily agree with it – Waze for example can be interacted with entirely by voice after only a single two finger tap on the screen, and you can do a lot more vs just reporting speed traps via this method

It does have the KISS system going for it, but it’s an insane amount of money for that.

Waze is too distracting, and won't work for me on a bike as I keep my cell in my pocket with only my Zumo mounted on the bars. TrapTap is expensive for what it is, and hasn't built up its network of users yet (and may not). Hopefully it will be successful enough for Waze to buy them out and merge the two. I think I'll wait for that. Even then, there's still the issue of the amount of data usage these things take.

$20 I'd be interested - maybe even $29. With Ontario looking like photo radar coming again...worth it if it saves a ticket.
That it can go between vehicles is a bonus - Canadian company behind it too,.

I wouldn’t expect any sort of buyout, if they were to do anything it would be to simply make a single function button of their own, or perhaps more sensibly, a stand-alone multiple button control box or something similar that encompasses more of Wazes functionality as opposed to just speed traps. Waze is way more focused on the traffic aspect of their app as opposed to the speed trap and red light camera functionality so I don’t know what their level of interest would be in the end.

Am I the only one that is annoyed by waze/traptap notifying people of red light cameras? We all speed, but for all that is holy, if your driving bar is set low enough that you only stop where there are red light cameras, I hope you take a tractor trailer in the chest.

Honestly I am not a fan of the police/speed trap warnings, either. I spend so much time on the roads due to the nature of my job that I see a lot of issues caused by speeding aggression. It’s my personal opinion that we need drastically more speed enforcement on our roads, and less people tattling about it so that the worst offenders can continue to get away with things.

The “built in” allowances/tolerances that the police give everyone in this province over and above posted speed limits (IE, nobody is getting pulled over on the 401 for 120) is more than enough that anybody attracting the polices attention almost always deserve what they get.

Accordingly, to the surprise of nobody here I’m guessing, I never report speed traps on Waze.

Red Light cameras are not just for people blowing the light ...90% it's for blocking the intersection in a left turn...if you know the camera is there then you can be a bit less edgy on the turn ......

Last edited:
Red Light cameras are not just for people blowing the light ...90% it's for blocking the intersection in a left turn...if you know the camera is there then you can be a bit less edgy on the turn ......

I thought you had to enter the intersection after it turned red to trip the system? Getting stuck in the intersection doesn't trigger it.

EDIT:

York Region policy

Q. What is red light running?
A. It is a violation that occurs when a driver enters an intersection after the signal light has turned red.

Q. What if I am making a left turn and the light turns red when my vehicle is still in the intersection?
A. Drivers already at an intersection when the signal changes to red (when waiting to turn, for example) are not considered red light runners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom