m2 exit in london, ON | GTAMotorcycle.com

m2 exit in london, ON

deejizzle

need to get my M this summer, preferably sooner rather than later. looking for reviews for london, ON m2 exit. im currently looking @ fanshawe and learning curves. Having done learning curves in toronto for m2, id like to stick with them as they are cheaper as well but i dont mind paying extra for better instructors and what not. looking for your reviews on one of them or recommendations for another.

Thanks!

need to get my M this summer, preferably sooner rather than later. looking for reviews for london, ON m2 exit. im currently looking @ fanshawe and learning curves. Having done learning curves in toronto for m2, id like to stick with them as they are cheaper as well but i dont mind paying extra for better instructors and what not. looking for your reviews on one of them or recommendations for another.

Thanks!

If you took the M2 course and have been riding since, my recommendation would be to save your money and take it directly at the MTO. Unless you're not comfortable riding on the highway, then course is probably the best bet.

I just started teaching the M1 exit with fanshawe this year, been working with St. Clair College before that. I haven't been out on the lot yet this year but I have met the instructors and can tell you the Fanshawe guys are top notch and know what they are doing. I wouldn't hesitate to send anyone to Fanshawe based on what I have seen so far.

You can take the test through MTO 4 times for the cost of taking it through a college. all the colleges do is point out your issues and train you to take the test it is not a learning course. If you have been riding for a while just take the MTO test if you fail you know what you did wrong. Re-book and correct your errors. Save the $

If you took the M2 course and have been riding since, my recommendation would be to save your money and take it directly at the MTO. Unless you're not comfortable riding on the highway, then course is probably the best bet.

There is no real trick to the M2 exit. Obey the rules of the road and ride appropriately. The only advice really needed is to over exaggerate your shoulder checks so they know you are doing it. Not sure why anyone would use a course for an M2 exit. If you have not been riding enough to feel comfortable then maybe getting an unrestricted license is not the best idea yet, not that an M2 is really all that limiting save for the O% alcohol.

If you have been riding every year then as others have said just book through the MTO and get it over with.

Thanks!
I would take the course if I were you, unless there is a money issue. There are far too many riders out there already that do not know/follow the rules or safe riding techniques already. It will cost more, but most likely teach you a few things you had never even thought about.

Last year my wife did her m2 exit with Georgian in Barrie. She got her m1 in 2012, rode a ninja 250 for 3 years. Did her m1 exit at the Drivetest center. I set up the pylon course at our local school and she practiced it for 3 nights after work until she could ace it.
When her m2 exit deadline was nearing she had just upgraded to a Gladius 650 three weeks prior and wasn't really used to it yet. We decided she should take the course and I am glad she did. She came back with a new found confidence, it showed in her braking, corner entry and exit. The instructors were great and despite the course being "designed to pass" she came away a better rider and most importantly to me, a SAFER one. I love her like no other and sometimes regret ever in introducing her to bikes. But the best I can do is make sure she has the tools and knowledge to keep herself as safe as possible.
We're looking into an advanced riding course for both of us this year.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Advanced riding courses are one thing. M2 exit is not it. Personally I would not waste money on it after riding on streets for a prolonged period of time already. I get it if someone has a new bike or doesn't ride much though.

Track days is a very good investment if you want to improve your riding. At least that's what I hear from everyone and I have also noticed improvement in my fellow riders who attend.

My personal thoughts:

If you haven't ridden in 4 years, then don't waste your money.
Go back and do the m1 exit course, and learn the basics, or give up riding as you did for the 4 years.
Some people get out to the course or the test and don't know any of the basics of riding on the street.
If that's the case then you're wasting your, the other student's, and the instructors time.
Some people have towed their bikes less than 50 km to a course, which says something about their own opinion of their skill set.

Most courses I've seen don't just teach to the test, they also tweak your street riding skills.
Some people are good riders, but don't do as well as they could in traffic or street situations.
A coach following behind you, watching and correcting, can make a difference.
If the course isn't or hasn't done that, then they're missing out on adding value to your riding, and you should let them know.

I'm that good a rider, so I like to try and improve every year by taking at least one course. Even the pros have people watch and coach them.
The idea is to make it a life long learning experience, that's also interesting and fun.

Do M2 exit tests have any low speed parking lot portions? Pylons are the devil

A course may have some slow speed to get a sense your riding ability before getting out on the street with you.
The one I'm familiar with, runs you through the M1 exit test with your own bike. I would consider that low speed.

I would take the course if I were you, unless there is a money issue. There are far too many riders out there already that do not know/follow the rules or safe riding techniques already. It will cost more, but most likely teach you a few things you had never even thought about.

When my M2 was about to expire, I had well over 100,000km seat time in the 5 yrs. I was very comfortable and confident as a rider. I took the course and passed with no points. I learned a lot of very minor things I was was not doing on the road. After I left that course, I was a much better rider in terms of my observational skills, predictability on the road as a rider and overall safe riding habits.

A few days after I took the course, I was waiting at a red light at Keele/Annette in Toronto. Light turns green and the old me would have just gone through. Instead, I looked both ways and waited as a car came blazing through a full two seconds after my light turned green and t-boned a car that did not wait. At the course the instructor kept harping on some people to always scan the intersections before going through on a green or starting off from a red. I know it's common practice to scan the intersections for most people, but sometimes we get lazy and taking a course can help reinforce good habits and reduce the moments of laziness - for what $300?
So many people so focused on money all the time.

The M2X was much better than just a course to teach me to pass the test - as some here have described.

forgot about this thread that i made.. m2 exit keeps poping back and forth in my head every now and then.

firstly, thank you for the answers. ive been around a while (both the forum and on the road), and just wanna say its great to see some of the regular GTAM members that i remember helping me from way back when, and you guys still are.. (but the website layout hasnt changed... really?!)

anyways. im confident on my skills, done a couple tours, when i moved to london and got my dog i rode a lot less but i was always cautious and kept a level head for the most part. had my 500 for about 4 years now i think... i think the real reason id move towards the course if just to meet new people and brush off any bad habits i may have developed. new gear thanks to the RD no tax deal, tires and pads on the way, im ready to get this season on the road =).

thanks again for the shoutout to fanshawe, i can literally stumble my way over there because of how close i live. i do find theres a bit of a premium for the fanshawe course, and ive seen the courses as ive walked my dog around.. if anyones doing m2 exit this season in london hit me up!

Just did my M2 exit with Learning Curves in Toronto this past weekend. Also did my M1 exit with them previously and would highly recommend them. I agree with some of the other comments here that the course reinforces a few points that you may not necessarily think about on a daily basis. Better situational awareness, blocking position, shoulder checks, left/right/left check at intersections, discipline with frequent mirror checks, tap brake light when entering intersection, make sure brake light is on at all times when stopped at a red light etc...

I enjoyed the course. It started with some warm ups in the parking lot (figure 8/slow speed turns), then a morning group ride with the other riders (one of the riders leading three others plus the instructor at the back), and the assessment in the afternoon. There was one chap there that definitely needed more practice/instruction and I'm glad, for his sake, that he took the course. His riding was erratic, speed unpredictable, and overall he was just not a confident rider. The instructor picked up on the issues and explained what he needed to improve to be a better/safer rider. For the rest of us, it was as stated in previous comments - obey the rules, exaggerate movements/checks and ride in a safe controlled manner - job done.

Back
Top Bottom