Squid nearly eats asphalt, manages to save it | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Squid nearly eats asphalt, manages to save it

Ever see that video of a cop hitting the speed bump? That Harley front wheel certainly did some amazing contortions once his rear end ran out of suspension travel.

Scientists apparently say best chance of recovery is keep weight rearwards and accelerate :| but that kind of assumes you still have control, so you might want to try and keep hands on bars and feet on controls at all times,
interesting that is also completely polar thinking to relax your grip and get your weight a little further forward
I figure if the front wheel isn't doing its thing ride the rear, I'd probably already have shifted weight to the pegs as much as possible, if it gets so you can't ride either wheel may the force be with you.

wobble contributing factors imho are; heavy front wheel on less then perfect 14$ axle bearings front and rear, a little play in the lower fork legs because you are still riding on the same OEM fork oil water mix for years, tires low on pressure, stanchion tubes not tight enough in the triple trees, loose ball steering head bearing never serviced, frame cracks, shot swingarm bushing, rim dents or significant tire imbalance.
First place you might feel a little head shake or hinge in the middle if you have any one of those issues happening is washboard road surface during spring thaw or going over railway track crossings.

Most sport bikes give you a head shake once and a while, their high rake angle does that as it corrects steering when you get your bike out of line. A high speed wobble (tank slapper) is different, it happens when the bike gets to the point where it's can get back with a head shake.

Looking forward to your vlog.

But if I speed up it makes things worse so I might go into a full speed wobble! Oh man this is scary stuff! What should I do?! I’m so confused now...

But if I speed up it makes things worse so I might go into a full speed wobble! Oh man this is scary stuff! What should I do?! I’m so confused now...

Is simple, keep your bike well serviced, don't ride like a mad man.
They don't start into a speed wobble just because of bad luck.

Is simple, keep your bike well serviced, don't ride like a mad man.
They don't start into a speed wobble just because of bad luck.

I’m not sure there’s a more serviced bike.

So I should just keep it under 140km/h? What about the other 5 gears?

[video=youtube_share;TpeNWxHF6uI]https://youtu.be/TpeNWxHF6uI[/video]

I’m not sure there’s a more serviced bike.

So I should just keep it under 140km/h? What about the other 5 gears?

DeepLongA.gif
maybe try switching bait

[video=youtube_share;TpeNWxHF6uI]https://youtu.be/TpeNWxHF6uI[/video]

Funny, most of the ones that recovered and recovered the quickest were on the throttle. I guess I’ll just keep riding in a responsible manner in the designated areas.

I just did the 2 day California Superbike School camp at Las Vegas Motorspeedway. I had to go to the NAB show for work and they had spots the weekend before.

Keith Code has built this into the courses now and spends time teaching how to recover. Definitely money well spent.

Edit: you also have to use their bike at the 2 day camp. I have never ridden a S1000rr before. It’s a really nice bike, very confidence inspiring

Last edited:
Seems like 9/10 guys in the video were 1) Either setting it down from a wheelie 2) At the top of their power band in a low gear. Looks for many it's that state between having the front wheel firmly planted - and not. PS. The guy with the A-star gloves probably needed new underwear for the rest of the week, holy sheet.

Reminds me of a video I saw recently where the go-pro is mounted on the underside of the bike and gives a clear view of the 'bounce' that the tire does fighting to stay down.

SKIP TO 52 seconds.

[video=youtube_share;_tqr-9DfiTk]https://youtu.be/_tqr-9DfiTk?t=52s[/video]

I know myself personally, I've felt it countless time near the mid-top of 2nd at my local track as the front wants to stay down but still wanders a bit; thankfully nothing on the street - yet.

Funny, most of the ones that recovered and recovered the quickest were on the throttle. I guess I’ll just keep riding in a responsible manner in the designated areas.
What video are you watching? Every single save in this video was throttle off. Watch the video again.

Back
Top Bottom