Mopeds/Scooter and LSV (low speed vehicles) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mopeds/Scooter and LSV (low speed vehicles)

100shot

Looking for some education on mopeds/Scooters, (ie: 49cc or less) and how they would differ from anything above that.

I'm aging myself, but I always understood mopeds or motorized bicycles with less than 49cc to be treated differently than a regular bike.

I've been doing all this research this week and I see that since 2005 the M class license now required for for all bikes regardless, that's all fine.

I also saw Ontario has a new low speed vehicle pilot program which locks down some conditions for low speed vehicles, like no streets over 50km/h etc.

Now there's insurance, don't mopeds qualify for cheaper insurance?

All of this because I just bought a used gas scooter for under $1000 which won't even be used on the roads ultimately (used as a pit bike at the track) and if I wanted to plate it for the road the only insurance I'm being told can be on it, even without road coverage is $3500. That doesn't make sense to me.

If mopeds are just treated like any other bike, why would anyone buy one? Is it that electric mopeds are the only one's exempt now? I see them downtown all the time.

Gasoline powered anythings (mopeds, scooters and motorcycles) are subject to operator's licence, plate and insurance requirements.
Electrics, e-bikes and assisted bicycles MUST HAVE pedals or they are subject to the same requirements.
What scooter did you buy, $3500/yr seems excessive ?

Oops - I should include that mobility scooters have their own restrictions.

2009 Aprilia SportCity 50

mopeds with pedals give you what exemption?

Also, I am 46 years old, with two 2018 daily drivers, two collector cars, a large home and 29 years driving history.

IIRC, the magic moped exemption where insurance wasn't required ended ~25 years ago. As soon as insurance is required, in onterrible you are in for a shock. The claim rate on scooters (even small ones) is probably quite high percentage wise. They spend most of their time in dense traffic with streetcar tracks and metal manhole covers. They are also likely to live outdoors where they are more likely to be stolen.

The low speed vehicles are not motorcycles. They are weird tiny car looking things. E-bikes also have a very specific definition (that many ebikes on the road do not meet).

To answer your question, there is no good reason to buy a moped now. Either e-bike for a cheap ride or a ~300cc bike/scooter if you are willing to pay more.

^^^^ This was helpful. looks like my scooter falls into the second catergory, LSM. Seems like the traditional moped with pedals and e-bikes have clear designation too.

The question now is what does an LSM vehicle do for me plate wise and/or insurance wise.

Did you just call the first insurance company that came to mind (or you already have a policy with) and accept that as the best price you were going to get?

Get your related licence (preferably with some training), call around, And you should be able to find a policy for that for under $500 a year, liability only.

Really nothing, you still get raped. Also limited to what roads you can use. Your quote for insurance was just a company telling you to go away. Lots will insure you for less. The rate group even with a LSM designation is moped class. Green plated. Once it is green plated there is no way to put a white plate on her in the future.

My broker said it's mostly about being the first year of insuring it. My M109R is plated in Florida and it's only 20 bucks a month on my cousin's policy. Pretty different.

I went to the broker I've used for 25 years and has all my current business.

I don't actually really need to get this scooter on the street, I bought it for off road use, but now that I've been discussing it, seems like another Ontario raping.

If the green plate does nothing to lower insurance, lower annual sticker price or make anything easier......then that's pretty sad.

This month has been get bent over month, as I put a yellow sticker on my pick-up and made sure my trailer is Ontario legal.......it's all just a cash grab.

We need to vote differently to stop this insanity.......gas.....beer.....environmental tax now even on a bottle of motor oil.

I could start a search of a totally new company, but I feel like they would ask all the questions of where my other insurance is and anything over $500 a year, I won't do it anyway. I wasn't trying to get into a bike in Ontario. The person I bought the scooter off said they used it for one year of riding history to get them started since they were new to Canada.

This month has been get bent over month, as I put a yellow sticker on my pick-up and made sure my trailer is Ontario lega

The yellow sticker is granted for completion of an annual inspection that makes sure your vehicle is safe and roadworthy every year. (For those not familliar with it)

As someone who's been in the commercial trucking industry for several decades now I remember when the rules were way more lax and there was a lot of wrecks and deaths because of junk on the roads.

So forgive me if I refuse to accept it being called a "cash grab", it's the mechanics who are doing the inspection getting paid for it - the actual sticker is only a small portion of that, once they deem your vehicle safe.

I could start a search of a totally new company, but I feel like they would ask all the questions of where my other insurance is and anything over $500 a year, I won't do it anyway. I wasn't trying to get into a bike in Ontario. The person I bought the scooter off said they used it for one year of riding history to get them started since they were new to Canada.

Sounds like they see you as a new never before insured rider. My Kymco 49cc scooter is currently $290 for 2 mil pl pd only. It is the second bike on the policy. My scooter is plated as a regular bike. Not limited speed vehicle.

As stated there is no difference in insurance costs between a moped, a limited speed motorcycle (LSM) and a small displacement <~400cc motorcycle. A friend had a moped and paid the same as a motorcycle. Bodily damage to the rider in a crash is the same, so the premium should be similar. Low displacement does not mean cheaper insurance.

Mopeds and LSMs also need a graduated license, but the license is then limited to these only. You might as well get a regular motorcycle license. As stated, there is no benefit from getting a moped or LSM over a small motorcycle. They are still fun, though.

Gas consumption on a 4 stroke 50cc engine is really frugal, but it takes longer to get anywhere and cars tend to want to run you over, as you cannot exceed 60kph. Not stock, anyway. A 125cc road bike is a better alternative.

If you don't need to insure the LSM and will not ride on the road, then don't.

My understanding is that in non-sport bike rated bikes, it all boils down to the displacement and years insured on a bike. It doesn't matter how many years you've had a motorcycle license, they base your rates on weather or not you've had insurance in the past 5 years. Once you go without insuring a bike in Canada for 5yrs or more they consider you a new rider again. My Dad got hit with the same thing a few years back. Took about 6 or 7 years off from riding. Had his M license since 1977 and they treated him like a new rider. Now having said that, $3,500 seems really excessive. I think they charged my Dad $1,500 for liability on a Virago 1100. I'd check around.

So forgive me if I refuse to accept it being called a "cash grab", it's the mechanics who are doing the inspection getting paid for it - the actual sticker is only a small portion of that, once they deem your vehicle safe.

My truck is a brand new 2018 with less than 1000kms on it. The place that did the sticker is the same place that inspected the truck for delivery. I have no problem with techs getting paid for what they do. There was nothing to do, therefore it's a cash grab. I think the inspection should come after the first year at least if the truck was brand new.

I would rather be inspected to make sure I am proper weight, I'm towing properly and hooked up properly, the truck is fine.

Back
Top Bottom