Weather threads here. | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weather threads here.

Thanks. Wasn't being a wimp. I had a social function to go to, I'll take any chance to ride, but with this one I didn't want to show up damp and wet, it would have been weird.

Curious which apps you all use? I see from @Robbo post it would be the weathernetwork app.
Weather network map/radar usually works well.

I use two different programs - one is called "Canada Radar" and is basically a pretty way of displaying the Environment Canada weather radar images (King City, in our case) but it does the job.

I also use the Wunderground app - it has a lot of interesting tools and a very good radar view as well with many overlays that can show data from personal weather stations, etc - it can give you a much more granular view of weather down to literally a few hundred feet of the PWS locations - interesting for seeing temperature boundaries along cold/warm fronts, actual precip in a specific area, etc.

I also sometimes refer to aviation forecasts called METAR's, especially "SPECI" reports as they are issued in times of severe or rapidly changing weather, but they are written in code - for example, here's a recent SPECI from Toronto YYZ as the storms moved through:

SPECI CYYZ 162027Z 03004KT 320V070 15SM FEW035CB SCT045TCU SCT060 BKN180 25/22 A2985 RMK CB2TCU1SC1AC3 CB N TCU DIST E-SW SLP108 DEN
SITY ALT 2000FT=

Last edited:
Next week looks like crap .. starting tomorrow

RD4GyEb.jpg

Next week looks like crap .. starting tomorrow

RD4GyEb.jpg

I won’t complain. Of my entire 4 weeks of vacation allotment this summer (which I’m just finishing) I had 1 rainy day (last monday) and a few hours part of one afternoon while we were on our way to Americade.

WAY better than last year.

I also sometimes refer to aviation forecasts called METAR's, especially "SPECI" reports as they are issued in times of severe or rapidly changing weather, but they are written in code - for example, here's a recent SPECI from Toronto YYZ as the storms moved through:

I don't get it. Why would it be in code? One would think they would want to make it abundantly clear to anyone and everyone that there is a weather situation without having to pull out a secret decoder ring.

I don't get it. Why would it be in code? One would think they would want to make it abundantly clear to anyone and everyone that there is a weather situation without having to pull out a secret decoder ring.

check his nic
this I'm assuming can also go out over a radio blast
or whatever coms they have
requires a very brief trans connection

Was a good riding day weather wise. But too many dumb cagers on the road today. Haven't had as many close calls all season as I had today.

Last edited:

Once you learn the code it's actually quicker to read than the verbose version.

The main reason for it being in code was because it was easy to transmit over data networks when they were in their infancy, including OTA.

It's also a lot faster to write it down vs a paragraph if you need to transpose it for some reason.

There's an argument to be made that METARS, TAF's and NOTAM's should be transitioned to plain language now, but certain things in aviation are slow to change.

Was a good riding day weather wise. But too many dumb cagers on the road today. Haven't had as many close calls all season as I had today.

Off topic for this thread but I saw one crash today (2 cars, one of which blew through a red light - Straight in front of a cop, too), saw the aftermath of another one (moving truck rear-ended a car), and had an old geezer turn out of a driveway in front of me (I saw it coming and slowed down - "You're not going to keep going, are you ... oh, you dummy ... ooooh, that's why").

No riding tomorrow. I should probably get my track bike in the van tonight so that I don't have to do it when it's raining.

...had an old geezer turn out of a driveway in front of me (I saw it coming and slowed down - "You're not going to keep going, are you ... oh, you dummy ... ooooh, that's why").

This exact same thing happened to me today. Dude was looking at me coming, yet still decided to turn right in front of me. Good things his windows were rolled down, rev bombed the sh** outta him.

Crashes sound intense.

Riding up to Huntsville early tomorrow morning and am leaving at some point Monday. Seems like the weather forecast seems to get worse each day. Was totally looking forward to riding up there all weekend.
Tomorrow is fine, but risk of heavy thunderstorms both Sunday and Monday. Contemplating weather or not to take the cager now :angry5:
Murphy's law, if I ride up, weathers gunna be ****, if I drive the SUV up, it will be nice all weekend LOL!
Anyone else riding up north this weekend?

Rain gear.

Ride on.

Riding up to Huntsville early tomorrow morning and am leaving at some point Monday. Seems like the weather forecast seems to get worse each day. Was totally looking forward to riding up there all weekend.
Tomorrow is fine, but risk of heavy thunderstorms both Sunday and Monday. Contemplating weather or not to take the cager now :angry5:
Murphy's law, if I ride up, weathers gunna be ****, if I drive the SUV up, it will be nice all weekend LOL!
Anyone else riding up north this weekend?
Can't trust the weather reports. They're not even accurate to the minute, forget a day in advance. As an example, it was pouring outside, I pulled open weather network's radar map, and no rain clouds in sight. Forecast was sunny.

Murphy's law is the truth! I think it applied to me today.

Can't trust the weather reports. They're not even accurate to the minute, forget a day in advance. As an example, it was pouring outside, I pulled open weather network's radar map, and no rain clouds in sight. Forecast was sunny.

Murphy's law is the truth! I think it applied to me today.
Ya screw it! I've been meaning to ride up to my inlaws all year. I'll suck it up and just do it! Big azz steep gravel hill climb to their house though...if that gravel is soaked with rain, it's going to be quite the challenge to make it up/come down :lmao:. Father in-law said if I don't want to risk it he will (he used to ride)...and that would make me seem like such a b!tch haha! Atleast it's going to be nice and warm to get those tires all sticky!

The sort of weather we have right now is highly unpredictable. Any time it’s hot and humid the atmosphere is apt to surprise you more often than not, and the more unstable the atmosphere the less accurate any forecast is going to be.

This is why I always tell people how to learn to read radar. A free radar app on your phone is 100000% more useful than just a plain old forecast.

The sort of weather we have right now is highly unpredictable. Any time it’s hot and humid the atmosphere is apt to surprise you more often than not, and the more unstable the atmosphere the less accurate any forecast is going to be.

This is why I always tell people how to learn to read radar. A free radar app on your phone is 100000% more useful than just a plain old forecast.
I rely on TWN weather radar, but it's been supper inaccurate recently. Is there a better one in your opinion?

I use a few including some aviation specific ones, but the Wunderground weather app has a pretty good one with lots of different layers of info (radar itself aside) that can also give more insight on what’s happening, and what may be coming..depending on how much you understand meteorology.

I also use an iPhone one called simply “Canada Radar” which is basically a shortcut to the environment Canada radar, in the GTA’s case, the king city radar. I’m sure there’s an android equivalent

Last edited:
The key with reading a radar image is the animation - seeing rain on the radar is one thing. Seeing which way it’s moving, how fast, and I’d its building or dissipating is the more important part.

Back
Top Bottom