Weather threads here. | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weather threads here.

I use a few including some aviation specific ones, but the Wundeground weather app has a pretty good one with lots of different layers of info (radar itself aside) that can also give more insight on what’s happening, and what may be coming..depending on how much you understand meteorology.

I also use an iPhone one called simply “Canada Radar” which is basically a shortcut to the environment Canada radar, in the GTA’s case, the king city radar. I’m sure there’s an android equivalent
Thanks! Wunderground looks good. Also has dark mode, a feature that I immensely appreciate in apps.

Are there any radar maps that go up to 12 hours?

That's not how radar works. Radar shows you what's happening NOW, it's not a forecast of what MIGHT happen. Most will show HISTORY (so you can see trends), but they will not show the future..because radar doesn't see into the future.

Yes, there are a few websites that do purport to show "future radar", but its little more than taking the existing forecast (which we all know is often wrong) and "guessing" what the radar may look like at that time. In short, don't waste your time.

Make an overall judgement to ride based on an Environment Canada forecast - if it's an unstable day where popup thunderstorms are likely and you want to ride anyways, then that's where the radar comes into play - stop every 30-45 minutes, open the app, and see what's showing. Pay attention to the sky - a dark line of cloud on the horizon is a good indicator you might want to look at the radar.

Animation of the radar is key - you not only want to see what's ON the radar, but which direction (and how fast) it's moving. Most good radar maps will show YOUR location as well, so then it's just extrapolation to see what's showing for precip, which way it's going, how big it is (a blob that will take hours to pass, or a thin storm line that will come and go quickly) and then look at how fast it's moving...and you fan figure out if and when you're going to get wet. Accordingly, if it's just a small storm you can park somewhere dry, wait it out, and continue your ride. If it's a widespread system that's going to bring hours of rain (generally slow moving and predictable)..and it's headed your way, that may be an indicator you should head home.

Last edited:
Most weather systems move west to east so it's not rocket science to see what's coming even a couple days out.

NatLoop.gif

You can burrow into each region for local real time info

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=buf&product=N0R&loop=yes

For instance heading to PA you might reconsider.

Ontario Radar
https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

Is part of the national radar network

so to see what's enroute you might go to a Sudbury radar

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WBI

Judging the speed of a system is something you learn

Nature of the system....the sharper drawn the line ....the rougher the weather is coming

ZoETRqpq9JSF9y29hfyQW_3wXicEqwiF_KCVG-2Cjag0ESvHxpZXUCcdMpemloRrJeeCWuFS9Xlj42AvjBcKRa2pIowO17Si8WQd2gSwbhjNrVUMM0A55ax2Q8AOO33Kjb6u1JqsgBR6v6Gk-D5AYfCytOndDz-TZo9ubBKKrO20f8vlty_7XCTfuw-z1N2trFWJuW6JXbxvS1CEjrCT4ucGnA7dcfjlTsSzRmezPR0fm3bUswXlGmP2RcA64oyzIfvyEUdSH6rHKZHHHIMIdkIIskWsXq4U-sK8tel825k1K7PCNub0E7X18cPycX3Se0ZAyiT9XsnXtoCp5l2Un_lUAVb7azeikR84kwYHia5R4jDfs9d8KTGmN3cR8wVSltfyH6ocThEHobahb47fJuaWgXYcjsv9zHAgeuQpjUDlxXuvofPkWuR3k1yyAK3FO_xcIxz18HXVtlTQoIbpvfYJ69MgoMYdUIlXhIxfkEnAl9CPdHCqstwq6vgziMDOXQ3CaC6rlADJ-5wMfuDw1bJMgd8akzNDe1ZqHI60W_cjjpLtEpcqzblyC9Gz8EqlTPPHF6hub0HQmBxPni_KHAGqfmJe0waGxOjDSYXVXkr0hJBEwVp40GCz7_nDhSM8=w498-h428-no

You would not want to be riding in front or through that front unless necessary to punch through.
Generally it will hot and muggy on the side it's moving to and cooler on the other....riding behind such a front is generally what you want.
Most weather you can ride around on long trips.
Ontario ....not so much but you can time within a 1/2 hour when a shower is coming...thundercells pop very quickly and then you just check often and look at the sky.

The hotter it is, the worse the Thunderstorms will be and it can be dangerous not just unpleasant to be in one on a bike.

The good thing ...you can see them coming.

Being behind one is really cool especially at dusk

nWAgLwbn5_H3pMV_I3Y_QRABLeOckGYTnTBoI0__uLavaUIbw_nUlI2aZJwg6zl7x6hP1wf3d0_GMSt1V3siSHVv50uVhGMlbpEp6xD38UYKyEU51bJ-g9lNPInn4_lUbpxIMwfw_kzTuHU8HP8lLKIKyrrb0-hcjLsE0zPq8LCGj3AmCAtIcAMMngIJO57Yj1rxBKnI-bIbdIzcxoJU3M_OMZP3j9klJmDt38mg-dH7XxcMbRd7ntFQgLar437K5wwRK9MpM2er64qIwXUmgoThQ7RCPIo5l7asEw9Z43ngqaBtYc-tjMrTGDPsBgbqYe90bskL3OZ83Gug_aVUH6x8pDfFQ1gN5wqvZjNnSsbHs3frwrM-K_4L7t2YFxs25SHHVKnxAH28y0GfMTNv8tLEwkfWMdG2oOLPHM9VWoOn4Bj19HOQmH_P7gTeV809XokZQsgpG4y8VqRLMwFWOUImyH7k_iBXCF94_7nOqnth8EqI0_ay_bMOHw3j1EH3hr5dYMWPiFsrOgnUitpQNvpAbNH3AWJyKQhlhfof12BKqKZvImOvfAnbveA4wvW7V08-npmYruNzKustFYT1d_4JPBwy8L74AT5lOXVbF3yih0IPszJ4NAhjyMg63A_s=w553-h311-no

Rode home from upper Michigan last year with a continous light show ahead of me. 975 interesting KM.

Most weather systems move west to east so it's not rocket science to see what's coming even a couple days out.

NatLoop.gif

You can burrow into each region for local real time info

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=buf&product=N0R&loop=yes

For instance heading to PA you might reconsider.

Ontario Radar
https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO

Is part of the national radar network

so to see what's enroute you might go to a Sudbury radar

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WBI

Judging the speed of a system is something you learn

Nature of the system....the sharper drawn the line ....the rougher the weather is coming

ZoETRqpq9JSF9y29hfyQW_3wXicEqwiF_KCVG-2Cjag0ESvHxpZXUCcdMpemloRrJeeCWuFS9Xlj42AvjBcKRa2pIowO17Si8WQd2gSwbhjNrVUMM0A55ax2Q8AOO33Kjb6u1JqsgBR6v6Gk-D5AYfCytOndDz-TZo9ubBKKrO20f8vlty_7XCTfuw-z1N2trFWJuW6JXbxvS1CEjrCT4ucGnA7dcfjlTsSzRmezPR0fm3bUswXlGmP2RcA64oyzIfvyEUdSH6rHKZHHHIMIdkIIskWsXq4U-sK8tel825k1K7PCNub0E7X18cPycX3Se0ZAyiT9XsnXtoCp5l2Un_lUAVb7azeikR84kwYHia5R4jDfs9d8KTGmN3cR8wVSltfyH6ocThEHobahb47fJuaWgXYcjsv9zHAgeuQpjUDlxXuvofPkWuR3k1yyAK3FO_xcIxz18HXVtlTQoIbpvfYJ69MgoMYdUIlXhIxfkEnAl9CPdHCqstwq6vgziMDOXQ3CaC6rlADJ-5wMfuDw1bJMgd8akzNDe1ZqHI60W_cjjpLtEpcqzblyC9Gz8EqlTPPHF6hub0HQmBxPni_KHAGqfmJe0waGxOjDSYXVXkr0hJBEwVp40GCz7_nDhSM8=w498-h428-no

You would not want to be riding in front or through that front unless necessary to punch through.
Generally it will hot and muggy on the side it's moving to and cooler on the other....riding behind such a front is generally what you want.
Most weather you can ride around on long trips.
Ontario ....not so much but you can time within a 1/2 hour when a shower is coming...thundercells pop very quickly and then you just check often and look at the sky.

The hotter it is, the worse the Thunderstorms will be and it can be dangerous not just unpleasant to be in one on a bike.

The good thing ...you can see them coming.

Being behind one is really cool especially at dusk

nWAgLwbn5_H3pMV_I3Y_QRABLeOckGYTnTBoI0__uLavaUIbw_nUlI2aZJwg6zl7x6hP1wf3d0_GMSt1V3siSHVv50uVhGMlbpEp6xD38UYKyEU51bJ-g9lNPInn4_lUbpxIMwfw_kzTuHU8HP8lLKIKyrrb0-hcjLsE0zPq8LCGj3AmCAtIcAMMngIJO57Yj1rxBKnI-bIbdIzcxoJU3M_OMZP3j9klJmDt38mg-dH7XxcMbRd7ntFQgLar437K5wwRK9MpM2er64qIwXUmgoThQ7RCPIo5l7asEw9Z43ngqaBtYc-tjMrTGDPsBgbqYe90bskL3OZ83Gug_aVUH6x8pDfFQ1gN5wqvZjNnSsbHs3frwrM-K_4L7t2YFxs25SHHVKnxAH28y0GfMTNv8tLEwkfWMdG2oOLPHM9VWoOn4Bj19HOQmH_P7gTeV809XokZQsgpG4y8VqRLMwFWOUImyH7k_iBXCF94_7nOqnth8EqI0_ay_bMOHw3j1EH3hr5dYMWPiFsrOgnUitpQNvpAbNH3AWJyKQhlhfof12BKqKZvImOvfAnbveA4wvW7V08-npmYruNzKustFYT1d_4JPBwy8L74AT5lOXVbF3yih0IPszJ4NAhjyMg63A_s=w553-h311-no

Rode home from upper Michigan last year with a continous light show ahead of me. 975 interesting KM.
Thank you for the detailed information! Very useful

Super nippy 40km ride into work this morning. So refreshing, that in fact I was cold in my mesh jacket! Such a strange feeling as the last 5 days I could not wait to take my gear off....it was just weird feeling cold on a bike again.
I liked it, not going to lie, sure woke me up :)

Make an overall judgement to ride based on an Environment Canada forecast - if it's an unstable day where popup thunderstorms are likely and you want to ride anyways, then that's where the radar comes into play - stop every 30-45 minutes, open the app, and see what's showing.

One brilliant thing with a Garmin Zumo 590/595 GPS (and perhaps other Garmin GPS units) is the weather app.

It is totally integrated. You don't have to stop... you can just touch a few spots on the screen and pull up the current weather radar. Another click displays the history over the last while. It isn't perfect as the radar often doesn't show light rain or drizzle (Other weather radars have the same issue.) It also can show road conditions like snow covered/icy or wet roads and flood risk, etc. and pop up with warnings like thunderstorms risk, high winds, tornado warnings etc.

I once read something that said some riders will check the weather to see whether or not they will ride and other riders will check the weather to see what gear they will wear.

..Tom

I once read something that said some riders will check the weather to see whether or not they will ride and other riders will check the weather to see what gear they will wear.

..Tom
Very true statement. But also the weatherman has been wrong a lot this summer.

Which makes it hard to choose the right gear when they aren't right in the first place. "there will be no rain for the next hour"

*gets on the bike *

* rains 30m into the ride *

Super nippy 40km ride into work this morning. So refreshing, that in fact I was cold in my mesh jacket! Such a strange feeling as the last 5 days I could not wait to take my gear off....it was just weird feeling cold on a bike again.
I liked it, not going to lie, sure woke me up :)

Agreed, nice to not be sweating coming off the bike.

Very true statement. But also the weatherman has been wrong a lot this summer.

Which makes it hard to choose the right gear when they aren't right in the first place. "there will be no rain for the next hour"

*gets on the bike *

* rains 30m into the ride *

With the exception of which gloves I wear and if I might put on my rain over gloves my outside layer of riding gear is exactly the same from +38c down to -18c rain or shine. The temperature dictates what I wear underneath.

..Tom

With the exception of which gloves I wear and if I might put on my rain over gloves my outside layer of riding gear is exactly the same from +38c down to -18c rain or shine. The temperature dictates what I wear underneath.

..Tom
In my case it determines whether i wear a rain jacket and rain pants on top of my gear and as you said, the gloves..it's all that really matters to me. the temperatures usually are a lot more predictable and easier to counteract (once you have the right gear in your possession)

Ur a cyborg clearly .....

This year was supposed be lots of riding and has deteriorated into the most under 10C days I've experienced.

Just up in the Blue Mountains north of Sydney doing some tourist things for 10 days ( not on the KLR ) and it's 9 going to 1 ....and rain. :rolleyes:

And some nights in Cairns are 11 with no heat in the house .....and of course I need to work in the wee hours ( it's very nice mid 20s during the day )

Glad I brought my long johns. So I layer up when the sun goes down and unlayer when the sun comes up.....living a bit more au natural than I'm used to ....fortunately the sun shines so the solar hot water is generous.

I'm hoping for a warm fall when I'm back in October.

In my case it determines whether i wear a rain jacket and rain pants on top of my gear and as you said, the gloves..it's all that really matters to me. the temperatures usually are a lot more predictable and easier to counteract (once you have the right gear in your possession)

My riding suit and boots are Goretex, so I haven't needed dedicated rain gear for quite a while. (But when I did use rain gear I had great experiences with Frogg Toggs Road Toads as long as they were put on properly.)

..Tom

Do you guys have dedicated gloves for rain, or do you put waterproof overgloves over your main gloves? What's better? I'm thinking the overgloves make more sense as that way you can reuse the protection of your main gloves, which are probably more protective than most rain gloves.

Do you guys have dedicated gloves for rain, or do you put waterproof overgloves over your main gloves? What's better? I'm thinking the overgloves make more sense as that way you can reuse the protection of your main gloves, which are probably more protective than most rain gloves.

Some of my gloves are waterproof. I also have Aerostich three finger rain over gloves for the ones that aren't. (They live in my right side upper pocket of my riding suit so I can slip them on while riding.)

..Tom

Any tips for doing m exit course this weekend for Sunday 8am-5pm?
Looks like it will be major muggy, 40*c with humidity and decent chance of rain towards early/late afternoon.

/gulp
Will make sure the pinlock is clean.. probably skip the gortex jacket and suck it up in revit airwave jacket..

There is no m exit course, since there is nothing beyond m.

It rained when I did my m1 exit and my rain pants really helped cause the bike seat was always wet.

DanP
There is no m exit course, since there is nothing beyond m.

Yep - nothing beyond M which confused the hell out of the Queensland motorvehicle bureau where there is a difference between restricted and open class motorcycle licences but common sense prevailed and I now have my Open class licence for Queensland.

I did not need to get it as you can drive indefinitely on a current Canadian licence but I wanted it for a variety of reasons.

Tips
Hydrate ahead of time and yeah use the Airwave ...in warm temps who cares if you get a shower ...you'll dry off soon enough.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom