Tirox Chain Cleaner | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tirox Chain Cleaner

arogal

Tirox Chain Cleaner...Good stuff!

I always though the Tirox Chain Cleaner Kit was just a gimmick, but I thought I'd give it a try! Previously I have used Kerosene (poured it into an old spray bottle) and either a grunge brush or just some rags, which did the job just great!
After a quick trip the other day when the chain was warmed up I put my tire on rear stand, and sprayed a liberal amount of the cleaner on the chain. The brush was a bit strange to use at first, but it screws on right around the chain. The nice thing about this brush in comparison to a grunge is that it covers all 4 sides of the chain and not just 3. Anyways, I was very pleased with the end results. I haven't seen so much crap come off my chain with only a couple full rotations of it like this before. Still used some water on the chain and a rag to get all excess crap off. My buddies think I'm a bit anal with chain maintenance, but I like doing it, and to me a clean chain just makes a bike look that more appealing.
Time will only tell to see how many uses I get out of this brush as it doesn't seem to be of the same quality of a grunge....but this kit is give or take the same about as a grunge brush on it's own.
Highly recommend this stuff and its only $20 give or take for the kit (big aerosol can and a brush). You can find it at most local shops and online stores.
chain-cleaner-with-brush-400g.jpg

Has anyone else used this cleaner, and find that it does wonders? Or have I been brainwashed into the marketing gimmick? LOL!

Last edited:
Re: Tirox Chain Cleaner...Good stuff!

or have you perhaps been brainwashed into thinking you need to clean your chain at all :D
Lube and ride.

or have you perhaps been brainwashed into thinking you need to clean your chain at all :D
Lube and ride.
Yes, I am very anal! All my buddies poke fun at me haha! But I like that fact that even when I take my chain guard off there barely any gunk underneath it. Used to lube and ride when I first started riding out west, always had crap fling off the chain.

Yes, I am very anal! All my buddies poke fun at me haha! But I like that fact that even when I take my chain guard off there barely any gunk underneath it. Used to lube and ride when I first started riding out west, always had crap fling off the chain.
man all this talk about lube and anal and riding and buddies poking at you and crap flinging....

who thought we'd be talking about motorcycle

did you spin the tire by hand?
or go for first gear?

I'm fussy on my chain as well
the lube captures grit
it will wear things out quicker if not periodically cleaned off
and I prefer not having a huge mess on the left side of the bike

did you spin the tire by hand?
or go for first gear?

I'm fussy on my chain as well
the lube captures grit
it will wear things out quicker if not periodically cleaned off
and I prefer not having a huge mess on the left side of the bike
Always spin by hand. I never like to put my bike in gear on the rear stand.

^ yup
that's why I'm asking
a lot of guys figure they're good enough to not get hurt

Modern chains are sealed O or X rings with internal lubed bearing - constantly using surfactants can ruin the seals and the lube itself protects the outer chain from wear....not like you are riding in sand.
Get a lube that doesn't come off like Motul Chain Paste.
Good enough for my mechanic who races ....does me just fine.

Just brush it on ( brush is in the cap ) - easy to carry when touring

Chain-Care-6.jpg

It's crazy to clean off working lube unless you have been riding in sand.

You DO want to lube regularly, you don't need to clean

rubbish
it's a rotating mechanical system of metal parts
open to the elements
needs to be periodically cleaned of abrasive particals

I just got their Chain Wax after using Maxima (no complaints). Was planning to change to their cleaner when i use my current supply up.

WD40 to clean(works better than kerosene) and then apply HHS2000.

Last edited:

MMMMMM but the smell of fresh chain wax. Lovveee it

I find that this debate always comes up on forums.

I do a bit of both, usually.

Rule of thumb, after every 2 gas tank fill ups i lube (or every ride in the rain)

And every 5k i clean the chain. I have a tirox chain cleaner but stopped using it and just went with the good ol kerosene-based aerosol and wipe technique instead.

My current one lasted me about 26k km with that method, mainly commuting with the odd fireroad rides 2 or 3 times a year.

I clean the chain with kerosene before every ride, takes 2 minutes of my time. And always clean after a wash.

I find that this debate always comes up on forums.

doesn't need to be any debate
mechanical reliability concepts give the definitive answer

chain drive systems with proper condition monitoring and routine maintenance
the data tells you the reliability and life cycle are extended

everything else is anecdotal

doesn't need to be any debate
mechanical reliability concepts give the definitive answer

chain drive systems with proper condition monitoring and routine maintenance
the data tells you the reliability and life cycle are extended

everything else is anecdotal

all your posts sound like you are trying to write a haiku...

Back
Top Bottom