Which Bike to Buy? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which Bike to Buy?

You're passenger will probably not like any of the bikes you've listed for more than 45min. You have two options, either get the bike you want and get rid of/don't let the passenger on the bike or get something more passenger friendly. A V-Strom 1000 will keep you happy in the twisties and your passenger will like it too. Same goes for the Versys 1000. Personally I'd go for a full sized ST bike as they are fun to ride and super comfortable, but I'm biased. I have an ST1300. Your passenger will LOVE the back seat of an FJR or ST1300.

Super Duke for sure. Has glowing reviews for comfort and passenger accommodations, and the performance is legendary.

Checks all your boxes except pricing and keeping your license. :agave:

Why not look at the GT? Better built for touring and less go.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, if the lady isn't going to be behind you for more than a few hour romps the FZ is a riot and your wallet will thank you...but im biased.

[video=youtube_share;94ZkuIS5MH0]https://youtu.be/94ZkuIS5MH0?t=11s[/video]

Last edited:
Tuono is great until you need to haul that passenger.

Hypermotard is a blast until you realize tank size/range (and I didn't find it comfortable enough to want to ride it all day).

Monster 1200 I loved. It does emit tons of heat off that right side exhaust.

Add a Multi-Strada 950 to your list.

Dude you're all over the place. Are you buying one with your brain (ie: to tour with the wife) or your heart? Figure that out first. Then, go test ride what you can, you may be surprised. I wasn't a big fan of the tuono after the test ride even though it was highest on my list before. Mt10 wasn't bad at all but I found it expensive. S1000r is what I ended up with but that's because ni don't tour with a passenger. And that was after selling a vfr800 that I found a bit bland. They are all good choices.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the '17 FZ-09 and the '17 Tuono RR on my list.

Went with the Tuono, but went to Montreal to get a left over '17. $14 grand before tax, but upgrading an FZ-09 to how I would have wanted it would have brought me close to Tuono cost territory, so figured I would just bite the bullet and get what I really wanted.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the '17 FZ-09 and the '17 Tuono RR on my list.

Went with the Tuono, but went to Montreal to get a left over '17. $14 grand before tax, but upgrading an FZ-09 to how I would have wanted it would have brought me close to Tuono cost territory, so figured I would just bite the bullet and get what I really wanted.

Crazy howivh better the prices are over there. None of the admin or PDI fees ********. Well, except for the s1000r, the wouldn't discount it.

Crazy howivh better the prices are over there. None of the admin or PDI fees ********. Well, except for the s1000r, the wouldn't discount it.
I wanted to purchase local, but Vos wanted $1800 more for the same bike.

If it had have been a few hundred, I would have bought here. For $1800 in savings, i'll make the drive.

No difference between the '17 and the '18. $4,000 less buying last years model.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Some of the KTM adventures have a detuned SuperDuke engine in. I know you said you didn’t want to consider them but they are no slouch, good for tall guys and have comfy pillions. I love mine, I have a 2015 1290 super adventure

I wanted to purchase local, but Vos wanted $1800 more for the same bike.

If it had have been a few hundred, I would have bought here. For $1800 in savings, i'll make the drive.

No difference between the '17 and the '18. $4,000 less buying last years model.

Good lord....

i guess quebec bikes arent THAT painful to get into ontario eh?

I think at 6'3" you'd going to find the Tuono a wee bit cramped for yourself, let alone a passenger. While the Tuono excels at solo hysterics I think an MT10 would be a better "tourer" and passenger hauler (spoken as a Tuono owner...)

Good lord....

i guess quebec bikes arent THAT painful to get into ontario eh?
I wouldn't trust used bikes from Quebec, but brand new, immediate export to Ontario was no big deal. Nivis, bill of sale, and you're good to go.
Its best if a Quebec dealer charges 5% gst, and Quebec tax at 9.975%, then you fill out a form to be reimbursed for the quebec tax, and pay pst here.
They charged me 13% gst, so it was a bit of a hassle getting the mto to waive the 8% they wanted for provincial taxes.
The Govt. got their pound of flesh either way.

I'm 6'2". The Tuono fits me great. I didn't buy it for the passenger ergos.

I wouldn't trust used bikes from Quebec, but brand new, immediate export to Ontario was no big deal. Nivis, bill of sale, and you're good to go.
Its best if a Quebec dealer charges 5% gst, and Quebec tax at 9.975%, then you fill out a form to be reimbursed for the quebec tax, and pay pst here.
They charged me 13% gst, so it was a bit of a hassle getting the mto to waive the 8% they wanted for provincial taxes.
The Govt. got their pound of flesh either way.

I'm 6'2". The Tuono fits me great. I didn't buy it for the passenger ergos.

Did you go over yourself? Or nah?

I still dont get why people fear quebec (used)bikes? Only thing I can discern is that in quebec they have different/lower safety standards that Ontario, therefore quebec safety wont necessarily fly in Ontario

But if you get it safetied in ontario...your golden right?

Did you go over yourself? Or nah?

I still dont get why people fear quebec (used)bikes? Only thing I can discern is that in quebec they have different/lower safety standards that Ontario, therefore quebec safety wont necessarily fly in Ontario

But if you get it safetied in ontario...your golden right?
Drove my truck to Montreal. 11 hours+ driving.
The problem with used bikes: salvage title in ontario can never be put back on the road. It can be rebuilt in Quebec. You buy it, not knowing it was rebuilt, try and title it here, and get screwed.

The problem with used bikes: salvage title in ontario can never be put back on the road. It can be rebuilt in Quebec. You buy it, not knowing it was rebuilt, try and title it here, and get screwed.

Right...but if it gets safetied in ontario....that means the title isnt rebuilt...right? or nah? They dont check for that?

Right...but if it gets safetied in ontario....that means the title isnt rebuilt...right? or nah? They dont check for that?
You wouldn't know until you went to the mto. If a buyer was smart about it, they would get the vin and head straight to the mto to run it.

Kinda like that guy who posted a while back about the cbr1000rr from Alberta that he couldn't get titled here. I think he took a big hit on it.

You wouldn't know until you went to the mto. If a buyer was smart about it, they would get the vin and head straight to the mto to run it.

Kinda like that guy who posted a while back about the cbr1000rr from Alberta that he couldn't get titled here. I think he took a big hit on it.

ohhh ok..

so MTO isnt just a provincial database, a quebec bikes VIN can be checked out at MTO and you will know if its clean or not?

ohhh ok..

so MTO isnt just a provincial database, a quebec bikes VIN can be checked out at MTO and you will know if its clean or not?
Hmmm, now you have me thinking. Maybe not.
Probably have to call SAAQ (i think thats their version of mto), or have some documentation from the Quebec seller.

probably prudent to check both SAAQ and MTO

But i would think MTO would have a national database of vins or something, to keep track of things like interstate trafficking, or stolen vehicles

The problem with used bikes: salvage title in ontario can never be put back on the road...

Um, never is a long time, I have a 1986 BMW K100RS on the road with an RBT VIN.

Back
Top Bottom