Which Bike to Buy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which Bike to Buy?

Mr.K

Site Supporter
Hey Folks, I'm looking for some bike advice for what to buy next. I know a lot of what make the bike "the right bike" is personal, but I'd like to crowdsource some info anyways.

Here are the bikes I'm deciding between:

Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09
Yamaha FZ-10/MT-10
KTM Super Duke R 1290
Ducati Monster 1200S
Ducati Hypermotard SP
Aprilia Tuono RR

Some of the things I'm looking at are things such as size (I'm 6'3, so Groms are not ideal), power (I'd like something quick, but I sold my superbike because it was too much for the street), comfort, passenger comfort (I'm not looking for a Gold Wing experience, but someone 5'8 needs to sit on the back for a few hours and not want to kill me).

I've been pricing out FZ-10s but there are none of the grey/yellow ones left in Ontario as far as I can tell, so I would need to buy a new 2018, and it's pricey. I'm not normally fond of buying new, I'd rather have someone else take a bit of the depreciation hit.

The 1290 and the Tuono may be a bit too much bike, as I'm not sure I need 170HP for cruising around some backroads. I'm trying to downsize to keep my license, so even the FZ-10 would be on the high end of what I need. Plus the price of these bikes is a bit more than I want to spend (I'd like to spend $13k before taxes if possible, but have been given permissions to go to 16k if needed).

I'm fond of the idea of the FZ-09, but I'm not sure about the sound. I like the V-twin and Crossplane rumble, so I'm not sure if I'd fall in love with the triple. Otherwise it seems right up my alley.

The Ducatis I'm mostly worried about reliability. The hypermotard has seen lots of issues, and I don't want to have the bike at the shop waiting on a bunch of expensive electronics to be swapped out. Otherwise I like the sound and looks, and they seem to have the friendliest passenger accommodations.

Anyone have some advice for me? Anything I should avoid like the plague?

Thanks in advance.

All the bikes listed are awesome

Only question you should ask yourself is

Japanese vs Euro?

Check insurance, and sign the cheque.

The triple on the 09 is awesome, it makes sort of an angry whistle sound

Last edited:
Hey Folks, I'm looking for some bike advice for what to buy next. I know a lot of what make the bike "the right bike" is personal, but I'd like to crowdsource some info anyways.

Here are the bikes I'm deciding between:

Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09
Yamaha FZ-10/MT-10
KTM Super Duke R 1290
Ducati Monster 1200S
Ducati Hypermotard SP
Aprilia Tuono RR

Some of the things I'm looking at are things such as size (I'm 6'3, so Groms are not ideal), power (I'd like something quick, but I sold my superbike because it was too much for the street), comfort, passenger comfort (I'm not looking for a Gold Wing experience, but someone 5'8 needs to sit on the back for a few hours and not want to kill me).

I've been pricing out FZ-10s but there are none of the grey/yellow ones left in Ontario as far as I can tell, so I would need to buy a new 2018, and it's pricey. I'm not normally fond of buying new, I'd rather have someone else take a bit of the depreciation hit.

The 1290 and the Tuono may be a bit too much bike, as I'm not sure I need 170HP for cruising around some backroads. I'm trying to downsize to keep my license, so even the FZ-10 would be on the high end of what I need. Plus the price of these bikes is a bit more than I want to spend (I'd like to spend $13k before taxes if possible, but have been given permissions to go to 16k if needed).

I'm fond of the idea of the FZ-09, but I'm not sure about the sound. I like the V-twin and Crossplane rumble, so I'm not sure if I'd fall in love with the triple. Otherwise it seems right up my alley.

The Ducatis I'm mostly worried about reliability. The hypermotard has seen lots of issues, and I don't want to have the bike at the shop waiting on a bunch of expensive electronics to be swapped out. Otherwise I like the sound and looks, and they seem to have the friendliest passenger accommodations.

Anyone have some advice for me? Anything I should avoid like the plague?

Thanks in advance.
Why not look at a full size ST? You can pick up a late model Connie or FJR for less than $15K -- nice garage queens, 2010ish with 15K for example, show up all the time at $8-10K.

Cheap(er) to insure, go 100,000km on fluid changes and tires, and the queen's accommodations aren't too bad. Bonus: On the street you can comfortably hang with the SS crowd.

yes but the FJR wont be nearly as fun as those

I can speak about the Yamaha 900 triples
if you were to ride one I think you'd like that engine, a lot
low end torque of a twin but love to rev out like an I4
don't have to be too fussy with the gearbox
it likes to go wherever you are on the tach

of the 2, I think the MT-09 Tracer (FJ-09) is more suitable for your height
and certainly for pillion
it is higher, and longer with an extended sub frame
all around a much roomier ergo triangle than the FZ-09
fuel mapping is also less aggressive in standard mode
no accidental throttle wheelies

Some of the things I'm looking at are things such as size (I'm 6'3, so Groms are not ideal), power (I'd like something quick, but I sold my superbike because it was too much for the street), comfort, passenger comfort (I'm not looking for a Gold Wing experience, but someone 5'8 needs to sit on the back for a few hours and not want to kill me).....

BMW
Sport touring model

Tuono RR <- lol that has a bird perch for a pillion your lady will hate it unless she weighs 80 pounds, is 4 foot eight and you can wear her like a backpack..

I can’t speak to which to buy, but I was in Kelly’s cycle a couple weeks ago and they had a couple 2017 fz10 in grey and yellow. My buddy was sitting on one. Not my style but he was thinking of getting one.

OP

vUrElfiBSVmeiauGSpfgHkYFHZcLr9TdcoDGCgiVN9808ynSa-bRpyH5tTfUTbOPkMfNe8X8ZeJZeTFky-K_e1IQsKlp_oSAPIXlLuMEwrWlEl_VdM1Qv4wmhoV4QJibA5SZkyyIwJM-57s0cylq1ENMEr-VD25hbYn-IUQyzxSoW136vUoa4CyO_as0MIPSW3dwW9TKBcbh8p7ndcaqL0X9RqKnkw_NP3LeDpFy2Di2Y_Z9f-rtObjP71Rfb7V1wTzB0IXH6ofhewmK6HapW8sQxZTlgYRluPcRr7AHIlSqEI27T7_OG5bBa1FKYYFPgSIy3VMyLgUTfqyC1d1mK1AJz7W6jJTecxTIr7__7dbjv8joxm-_97xa93dixbDfsSWXlkuZLfTjNGfqQF7yXkZDT3L_zepCc-94zDJ-urFMHRIDkxLG1jBx-m3L9zM-rzSemZIdSwnhouf3sKp2dcTO_OQKpsOGCqclaWaTykTCjCDBptBhE4ACIYTxTghlXMcG5j3Up52rW2MND0zXyeHHLAK9TF1m03QiS138_0QEMPvfKhG2sZT0tNQB7QDX3E3dM7tr37DwpTrp27NmgO-2rD-Ji6Rb9LI3XJfg=w1038-h946-no

GwYNVfDhapXz8_qX1b6NVA1ykwGStxGtIfbiDmtKQWDvXdGEtyteRV-UXDPIUNcZTfCySDNtaavOqBFAr8ok4CPyQdb9xiYl2kara6YEwsibAZRWIWJwvJWx0JW2Nzt6LaTAdOObqptkzlkGTycO6wApUX6QLQxrrG0SHq02_VE75RnuiHzRnuE2iQ9gvVt2d0nVU5ttMTZzjWJHB8PS84WVkMRjk3RlUxog_i-MK7zdmc0Mn13I4yv5C9e9xeRe6SlC1M2YCll64Qy0pP_ANT5fM0NXc12FnRGIfIwx5oBuJOL13YH2EqG-NVGh7yQ7FJlvHVYTyzsCPCgQyaytH6Q8DDxxmxTwqR_TfxJ3ZCq64Lg3DVdCZL7j61Sz-EAq6vgh-o91l_z5ssYb4JxuNmZ9znl5Cv4IxUyaelXaxiO9vBi-xiJt-vGIRB5Y1QbjXj3h01UXs5XPjxGxobs2BCLm8hYK5lEPM-qFFMrqO36DPCq-p5sG-dDnItLWqmM7r7C_Vkn929-R3IswHjD-0m3-9Da5GxyUk-0ET1H6GsVCjVI8lNmXoZlHr7SbHIJPuhouCeyh_00cM75kcQGV3yAmP-VNIj2guIJtvL8W=w772-h944-no

vluDw78xkgD2JGdqWApxslQ85lrMBJfg2gdwhDzRh_GLyukKUh4qEZ8xaITL-spY-NkL9hScJWHVkkVykA7d_PwSzDQdSDhQp5b9ZScBvBbHWWtSlWqVC8FdaZwyMJNx2yVnm3Jugs7ioQ1z8WuJtKibqtT9oRb-FyKNngKi6CQ_dh2OLsBh077t6LK6ziGBPMaEO0ybkd9OpD1E5LTZDRNFYlS6eMRoAneOSiob5728FW3-SXqqewVmk6S6oodeVoAshAAdMZsoXkKAc44YNxYCr209ZelzeT9UbSE9dgxZuxttmMEmqNUGMofY5i-Fsh9BuHshQ0RfR9luz-YQwDDDjFORQeu0ELefwyO2HNE8h5njOP0RrQQxEDH_gFjgd2MWRq-yGzzgR0yaanFzGTOKPgZVCZy_J00iMoMN-zLO03xiDLnaFy1wZzZfRbo8oa8AS-1P1h1PU4C9QpZK2NXXBMyI3I9moaGpO6DS6h9VtZqlaaztgTm_wEx-CynvoDjj9U-v5TaK8Sb1_tETt48bHxvt2LdDbfZ_a5VF67UIxhBDSbpSOODOhglsbKbOn3M5T_MaZ4H_GovsMfhfnHebof4e5mwKe5RXwfvL=w836-h944-no

Use this site to get your fit
http://cycle-ergo.com

Looking at the above the FZ looks tight, Vstrom 1000 okay and the Africa Twin lots of room two up.

yes but the FJR wont be nearly as fun as those
The FJR might be funner if you're 6'3 and you have a passenger that needs to feel comfortable for a few hours!

Tuono def wont be comfy,

If your doing touring Id suggest the FJ 09(none of the bikes on that list are uncomfortable, perhaps with the exception of the aprilia which i didnt like)

Online ergo sites are about as accurate as online insurance quotes, go sit on a few, test ride if possible, will tell you loads more

Last edited:
An Adventure/Sport Touring bike may be more comfortable, but I'm not looking for those at this time. I don't ride for long distances really, and they're a bit boring IMO. I understand the appeal, it just isn't for me at the moment.

The FZ09 I've taken on a demo ride, and thought the general sound was kind of dump-truckish until you got on the throttle, then it had a nice growl to it, but I'd like to hear one with an exhaust to see what it actually sounds like.

The Tuono RR has a pretty standard size passenger seat for the naked bikes; the "Factory" Tuono has the same tail as the RSV4, and that is basically a vag pad for the lady and nothing more.

My previous bikes are an R1 and CBR1000RR, so comfort is relative...I'm looking for something more comfortable than that, but still sporty. The tight leg area doesn't bother me, it is more my back and one shoulder that had issues.

Yeah lots of room ....much better weather protection and with OPs height...not a pig to handle.
Lower seat tho a bit hard on the knees.

-EXddAuoel6t0GV54bq2qcFIJKNeJRYoE0aiqvSSFYsvSjMdWDGJq02GroJZghPmBpMQC0hpa2l4Bfyv88IRGYiEykOSa9EWCc8mXRLPIpnibBCBF9snigw1TQVs_UA5_ww6Nwl0o2v8VKmAr1Nsrd1-dzZtUzjSDJIyd2Fb-jhHHePecRhtVlhyJfBY8TZifTgA63jWWwldMyVI5FwKNzj2fo-TM8YcpXw9wWWLEgFF_OjCgS5raBbFFYhiDouuINo0_3XXPhLTrOUJHHTwrbkpAXbyr2vFWj8a3a-rr6s1uSCtWTNP8vWU4V83grrM3kIcH_pF-sD-xY9iXJ-79jvFAzoAga-CibV6qJfMrrXjxsq07bIT_3JXSeJKGHRQiNVvXTpj8bnjuBPMF18M6Eoyb-rmde70wmn8-Tezh1IghUh2zI8QqgS2NRcGy6VvrTnoI8qwb75wWZMsdk7XA8GswaK3UPRPLE8mFDqCx3YuXUOEJwtKzyLKERxEuwteFTeSLYgp8n7YmgliYvTaqCnOY7EEJUqx9tW7N5CV-CbxB025SVzi-t3TPQRkxhl8-sqbl2UjCtYAByKTk3ySJ9uSBmpjIb6Bfd6K9Dzh=w1096-h946-no

bit low seat for OP size....= sharper knee bend.

Last edited:
Online ergo sites are about as accurate as online insurance quotes,

they are just guidelines for fit....they don't pretend to be anything else and that's pretty tight on the FJ09 for the pillion.

Since you know the Honda motors ...what about. The CB1100 or the Honda CB1000R

honda_cb1100rs.jpg

Both in your budget...

The hypermotard with the aftermarket seat is a TON of fun.I still miss my 09 Hyper 1100S.The problems you hear about are mostly interweb ********.

I think the Ninja 1000 checks all your boxes. I've got close to 90k kms on mine and still love it. Lots of good electronic upgrades with the 2017. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I'm mostly comfortable, but legs get a little stiff at the end of a 600 km day.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2017-kawasaki-ninja-1000-first-ride-motorcycle-review

But be prepared to negotiate with your insurer. They get confused and think its an SS.

My wife will do a 350 km day 2-up, but that's about it. But odds are you and your wife are younger than we are, so that may factor in.

Last edited:
None are that great with a passenger much beyond going to the local Timmies or Starbucks etc.

So, pick the bike that speaks to you, maybe look at a seat mod that helps a little with comfort without impacting the looks of the bike too much.

If it’s sport with a little touring and 2 up, the list would change for me.

I know my wife wouldn’t be happy on any of those.

I’d probably look at an RT BMW or Multistrata or as mentioned, Connie or FJR etc.

Still enjoy the twisties and take the lady out for zip antique shopping. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom