Riding insured bike without plates to get safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding insured bike without plates to get safety

TommyG.

I feel like gambling on this because the shop is less then 10km away and I like my chances on the route I'd be taking. If I lose the cat and mouse game and do get caught, it's a non moving violation so insurance doesn't increase. I haven't verified but am pretty sure the ticket/s would be cheaper than the 2 way tow after a plea deal. What do you guys think?

I think you shouldn't do it.

But if you're willing to risk it, why not colour-print up a licence plate that looks real, stick it on a stiff-paper backing, bolt it to the bike and at least lower your risk of getting caught?

I dunno. You don't have CAA? No buddies with long-bed pickup trucks?

If the bike is still in the previous owners name and registered as "FIT" on the ownership...go get a temp plate and sticker.

Riding around without a plate puts a giant target on you.

The bike is in my name since November and I don't have any truck buddies. I'll go and try to get temp plates as suggested but if I can't for whatever reason, I'll just roll the dice. It's a document infraction, same price as tow if they catch me, and insurance rate won't go up. Also, the ride would be way more than a tow, especially an an outlaw biker with no plate right lol?

If you changed the bike into your name without a safety at the time you’re out of luck for a temp - the ownership now likely states “UNFIT” which makes you ineligible for a temp.

This is also another conundrum as you would not only driving an Unplated/unlicensed vehicle, but you would also be driving one that is legally not even roadworthy – something that could put you into a whole other bag of hurt if you get caught - I suspect you would end up with far more tickets than you think as there’s a variety of different HTA charges that could apply. It could potentially put you into the 4-digit ticket range, some of which COULD effect your insurance.

Find another way.

But if you're willing to risk it, why not colour-print up a licence plate that looks real, stick it on a stiff-paper backing, bolt it to the bike and at least lower your risk of getting caught?

The penalties for using forged/fake documents (plates included) far exceed the penalties of none at all.

IIRC I think that may actually put you into criminal charge territory.

The penalties for using forged/fake documents (plates included) far exceed the penalties of none at all.

IIRC I think that may actually put you into criminal charge territory.

He's already thinking of doing something stupid and illegal; in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

Why even ask? You’ve done the math.

I’m sure plenty have done it and got away with it and others that have done it and got busted.

Short cuts and karma has a way of catching up with you one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP's location is Brampton; I can't imagine anything possibly going bad on the roads in Brampton...

Rent a van. $25

Rent a motorcycle trailer: $15.

You only need them one way, once you get your safety you can get a plate and legally ride home.

Firstly, you say the ticket is less than the cost of the tow, to and from the shop.

Once your on the road and get caught do you really think the cops are going to leave your bike just sitting there? It is legally an unregistered vehicle therefore subject to a tow, (which the tow companies charge a LOT more for, also even if your bike only sat in their yard for 5 minutes there WILL be storage fees tacked on). The officer again if hard nosed CAN direct that the bike be towed to their yard rather than permitting you to have it taken to the shop. If that happens then your looking at a second tow to the shop. The tow operator WILL ask the officer where they want it towed and WILL comply with the request, (they aren't going to put a lucrative police contract at risk for you).

Also depends on how hard core the officer is. Yes there could be a single ticket but there could also be more than a few. Fail to register vehicle, most obvious, then there are others, IE operate unregistered vehicle on a highway, Which is a MOVING violation and affects insurance BTW. Owner permit unregistered vehicle to be operated on a roadway, (although generally reserved for an owner loaning out the vehicle, it CAN still be laid), they may very well then begin looking for other infractions, IE ANY safety related issues. etc etc etc.

You also said about a two way tow. find a shop closer to your house, then once the bike has the safety done, drive yourself to Service Ontario, get the plates return to shop mount plate and ride home all legal.

you didn't say if you own another vehicle if you do and it has a hitch, or you see a neighbor with such a vehicle, rent a bike trailer from Uhaul, offer the neighbor, $50 for the hour of their time.

To ride without a plate is just plain idiotic and begging for trouble. Yes your chances of making it undetected are pretty good UNLESS some do gooder calls it in, or there is an incident, (collision, bike gets dropped and your too injured to get up and ride away etc etc etc).

Last edited:
Your insurance doesn't cover you if the vehicle is used in the commission of a crime so if any of the above mentioned charges are laid AND you have a crash the insurer can walk away.

I had a similar situation, in Brampton, and got the mechanic to come to my shop. It took a bit of persuasion but worked.

If it was a couple of blocks the odds might favour you but 10 Km in Brampton................seriously?

Rent a van. $25

Rent a motorcycle trailer: $15.

You only need them one way, once you get your safety you can get a plate and legally ride home.

Speaking of, do uhaul vans or pickup trucks come with a ramp to load the bikes on them?

I know the big giant moving trucks do, not sure of the rest

I feel like gambling on this because the shop is less then 10km away and I like my chances on the route I'd be taking. If I lose the cat and mouse game and do get caught, it's a non moving violation so insurance doesn't increase. I haven't verified but am pretty sure the ticket/s would be cheaper than the 2 way tow after a plea deal. What do you guys think?
I would just call all local mechanic shops around where you live and see if any of them could do a mobile safety at your home. I found a few shops near me willing to do it.

The weather is changing, cops are coming out of hibernation. Saw a bunch of cars getting tickets yesterday. Gotta be careful

Last edited:
I would just call all local mechanic shops around where you live and see if any of them could do a mobile safety at your home. I found a few shops near me willing to do it.

The weather is changing, cops are coming out of hibernation. Saw a bunch of cars getting tickets yesterday. Gotta be careful

Cops are just like regular people. They dont want to get out of the car, stroll over to you, give you a lecture about your speed and write you a ticket in -15 degree weather.

But suddenly they all become fans of traffic safety come summer.

You'd be riding without insurance (you can't insure an unplated vehicle for anything more than fire/theft). I got pulled over for that years ago and I think the charge for no insurance was no set fine.

that being said, if you have a plate on there, and are riding normally, I dont' think you'd be even batted an eye.

Back
Top Bottom