Humboldt Broncos | GTAMotorcycle.com

Humboldt Broncos

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Fifteen dead and fourteen seriously injured makes for a very devastated city.

From what I can gather the bus was travelling north on Hwy 35 and the semi going west on 335. Highway 35 has no stop signs and 335 does. At first revue it doesn't look good for the truck driver who was uninjured. Last I heard they haven't laid charges and maybe there were exonerating factors.

We've all made mistakes but hopefully to lesser degrees. How does a person with a conscience deal with the aftermath even if the crash was due to an equipment failure?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ncos-hockey-bus-crash-saskatchewan-explainer/

Apparently the intersection had a flashing red light installed after six family members got wiped out there.

It will be interesting to find out if the truck stopped. There is a possibility that the truck stopped and didn't see the bus due to a stand of trees and proceeded to cross. He had a double trailer and it looks like the bus hit the trailer closest to the tractor. This scenario should have given the bus more than a few seconds to scrub speed.

Whatever the cause of the crash, it is unlikely that the the truck driver is 0% at fault. Either they stopped and went without sufficient space, they blew the stop or they had a mechanical failure (which would be rare to be significant enough to prevent stopping while at the same time not being picked up during pre-trip inspection).

I hope the driver gets the counseling they need. We have all made mistakes, the outcome of his just happened to be horrendous. Many people would have trouble coming back from this and remaining a productive member of society.

H6T44XK5NFKX7BWNQYYGGDVINU.jpg

DaOBfMWX4AElFgV.jpg

very cool

Last edited:

The trees would have kept the bus driver from seeing the semi about to blast through but if the semi had stopped the truck driver would have been in front of the tree line and have been able to see the bus.

The trees would have kept the bus driver from seeing the semi about to blast through but if the semi had stopped the truck driver would have been in front of the tree line and have been able to see the bus.

I hadn't seen the aerial with the vehicles in it. I mistakenly thought the vehicles were just beside the road the bus was on. The truck was obviously going a decent speed as it pulled the whole crash scene with it.

My understanding is the crash happened in daylight. If so did a low sun in the eyes and also reflecting off the snow contribute, simply did not see the other vehicle (or stop sign/overhead light)?

Imagine sitting with your injured son in the hospital, too bandaged up to recognize, only to find out, days later, it isn't your son, yours died in the crash.

Imagine mourning the death of your son for days only to find out he is alive and in the hospital.

Imagine having to be the person that tells both sets of parents.

Imagine being a truck driver that may be responsible for the deaths of 15 people.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. So many tragedies in one split second.

Last edited:
Whole thing is heartbreaking.

I have a 21 year old son, same age as many of these kids, who plays baseball and occasionally does team travel. Really hits home.

There's no words that can make this better in any way.

The speed limit on 35 is 100kph. The lighting conditions at that time of day could have been such that the truck driver either missed the bus completely or misjudged the distance to the bus and thought he had time to clear the intersection.

To me it looks like he didn't stop. Both vehicles ended up at roughly a 45-degree angle from the point of impact which suggests a not-insignificant forward velocity on the part of the semi; if he was in 2nd or 3rd gear out of 18 he'd be crawling and I'd sort of expect the vehicles to be pushed further up 35 and the front of the bus to be crushed. Instead, the front of the bus is gone, as if wiped off the rest of the chassis. To me, the amount and type (shearing, not crush) of damage to the bus and for the vehicles to end up where they did you need to have a good deal of forward velocity on the truck; he didn't stop.

So why not? The signs are big, there are flashing lights and it was clear and bright that day. Unless the truck had some unthinkable failure of all of its brakes this is on the driver. Imagine if it comes out that he was distracted by a cell phone, was texting or some such. Sorry, that's not something that can be forgiven. That's not a "mistake"; that's multiple cases of second degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon etc. If any of us as motorcyclists were killed by distracted driving I'd expect that driver to be charged with the same thing.

Maybe he was drunk. Maybe he fell asleep. Whatever the case, the truck didn't stop and it led to the deaths and maimings of all those people. I hope justice is done and that things don't tip-toe around the feelings of the truck driver.

I cant imagine the mental state of the transport driver realizing what happened, or the legal crapstorm that will be coming on the heels of this.

I'm confused about the RR Crossing sign among the debris. The pic in post #4 shows tracks 'above' the accident scene. I'm not sure which direction the bus and truck were traveling but I would guess the bus was coming from the 'bottom' and the truck from the 'right' of the pic in post #4. I don't where that sign would have been. Surely not at the corner of that intersection.

I'm confused about the RR Crossing sign among the debris. The pic in post #4 shows tracks 'above' the accident scene. I'm not sure which direction the bus and truck were traveling but I would guess the bus was coming from the 'bottom' and the truck from the 'right' of the pic in post #4. I don't where that sign would have been. Surely not at the corner of that intersection.

My take on the crash:

tiu4rWA.jpg

This raises an interesting question: How fast was the bus going at the point of impact? Would he not have had to have slowed a lot by that intersection to come to a stop for those tracks?

Or do buses in SK not have to stop at flat crossings?

Last edited:
That's my take too. So, where did that sign come from? I guess the tracks will cross the road the semi was on but I wouldn't think that sign would be that close to the intersection. Especially after a stop in that direction.

Another question. Don't you think a fully loaded truck travelling at speed would have ended up further than it did? Perhaps the bus hit the pup trailer as the truck was crossing.

Last edited:
That's my take too. So, where did that sign come from? I guess the tracks will cross the road the semi was on but I wouldn't think that sign would be that close to the intersection. Especially after a stop in that direction.

Good question. I wonder if maybe it was a seasonal sign posted for, say, snowmobilers (you can see tracks in the snow); in google maps images ca. 2013 I don't really see a sign that could end up there.

If you look at other pics online ( I don't know how to post them here) there is no damage to the front of the truck.

If you look at other pics online ( I don't know how to post them here) there is no damage to the front of the truck.

Early reports said the truck T-boned the bus. I think this was inaccurate. As GreyGhost noted "...double trailer and it looks like the bus hit the trailer closest to the tractor..." So the bus T-boned the semi though it had the right of way.

My take on the crash:

tiu4rWA.jpg

This raises an interesting question: How fast was the bus going at the point of impact? Would he not have had to have slowed a lot by that intersection to come to a stop for those tracks?

Or do buses in SK not have to stop at flat crossings?

I agree with your map.

I have no idea if buses stop at RR crossings in SK.

A bus slowing for the RR could explain why they travelled a relatively small distance in the direction the bus was headed (or the bus was at speed and the short distance is due to a huge mass/inertia imbalance between the two vehicles). Easy enough to calculate the correct answer (and hopefully black box data is available).

Early reports said the truck T-boned the bus. I think this was inaccurate. As GreyGhost noted "...double trailer and it looks like the bus hit the trailer closest to the tractor..." So the bus T-boned the semi though it had the right of way.

I think the bus hit the back trailer. If it had hit closer to the cab the back trailer would have jack-knifed. They are laying pretty much straight suggesting the impact rolled the whole rig over on its side. Perhaps with the trees the bus driver wasn't expecting a second trailer?

Another observation...right where you have 'Path of Bus' do I not see tire tracks on the shoulder? Is this not where a RR Crossing sign might have been placed?

Last edited:
I think the bus hit the back trailer. If it had hit closer to the cab the back trailer would have jack-knifed. They are laying pretty much straight suggesting the impact rolled the whole rig over on its side. Perhaps with the trees the bus driver wasn't expecting a second trailer?

I was going off this picture. Front trailer has significant frame damage just in front of the axles and tires knocked off the rims on the front axle of the front trailer. If the bus just hit the rear trailer, it should have spun the trailer around. As I picture it, unfortunately the bus hit just behind the centre of mass of the truck (which is almost the worst possible position).

WARNING. I am going to add it as a link not a picture as it may be disturbing to some. It looks like the locations the victims were found are marked in this picture.

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/top1.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

Obviously I may be incorrect. Reconstructing accidents from a couple crappy pictures is interesting but may be very wrong.

So when the lawsuits start flying they aren't going to get much out of the trucking company.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...5-95ff-3b7a39a432c5?google_editors_picks=true

Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd., a company based out of Calgary.

Sukhmander Singh owns the small trucking company, saying his remaining truck has been taken off the road while police investigate the collision. The company began operation in the fall, has no violations on its record and appears to have been compliant “up until this point.”

Singh said the man who was driving the truck at the time of the collision has only been behind the wheel at his company for “about a month.”

“He’s a good guy,” Singh said of his employee who was driving when the crash happened around 5 p.m. on Friday. “I don’t know what’s wrong over there, why this went wrong for this guy.”

Alberta Transportation Minister Brian Mason confirmed Tuesday afternoon that the company has been ordered to cease operations until a full investigation is undertaken.

Back
Top Bottom