Ear protection | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear protection

Vontwowheels

Hey guys,

Ive searched on the forum for ear plugs, ear protection, and various other ways of saying it but end up with a list topics they likely were mentioned in not about it.
i also read a recent post about should new riders gear up, no one mentioned ear protection that I saw.

im a mechanic so my ears get enough abuse at work most days and I’ve been looking for a good option for while I ride, google brings up many obviously sponsored studies as to why you should wear them but few “real” reviews.

i kinda like how these look can’t know unless I buy them but any thoughts or recommendations?
https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/motosafe-pro/

thanks,
Glenn

I've used good quality foam disposable plugs for decades. Won't ride without them, even for a short ride. Just check the Db rating and get the best you can....and that feel comfortable.
images

There's lots of options, you can get custom ones molded to your ear. PM me and i can give you the info.

I prefer wearing earbuds, lets me listen to music when i want to and performs a similar function as plugs.

those ones look ok OP
but lots of $$

not sure what kind of riding you plan on doing
but for long days...the soft foam ones are my preference

disposable is also handy
or after several days on the road they taste salty

I use disposable ones. I go to enough industrial facilities that have shipper/receivers who are generous enough to let me grab handfuls of them whenever I ask that I have enough to last several seasons. I usually carry 10 or 20 in a ziplock in my saddle bags (sometimes I'll offer them out to fellow riders and such as well) and rarely use a set for more than a single day when riding long distances. I find that if you re-use them they start to soak up body oil/earwax and start to loose their effectiveness.

Thanks guys, I looked at some disposable ones and ones that say washable and reusable foamish ones.
Seemed more economical to get washable Silicone style ones. I’ll start trying some obviously starting at the lower end of cost and hopefully find some that I’m comfortable with

Anyone wear them and still use a sena system for music calls and chatting?

As per post #8 I've been wearing 25 - 32 Db plugs for years and I always ride with a Scala comm set for music or bike to bike talk. No issue with hearing Scala or other vehicle horns etc......., but the wind noise and the engine drone is well muted.

I have wore the silicone ones before. I found that they were not anywhere near as comfortable (especially after wearing them for 10-12 hours on long riding days) and if you're sweating they get gungy/sweaty and start to slip around in your ears. Yeah, the foam may just absorb it instead, but then you toss them out and get a new fresh set.

As per post #8 I've been wearing 25 - 32 Db plugs for years and I always ride with a Scala comm set for music or bike to bike talk. No issue with hearing Scala or other vehicle horns etc......., but the wind noise and the engine drone is well muted.

Same here.
My Scala's sound better with earplugs in.
The earplugs take out some of the highs. I prefer using my comms (talking or listening to music) with earplugs in rather than without.

I might be rusty on this but I'm pretty sure your employer is supposed to supply hearing protection under OHSA regulations. If your ears are taking a beating at work protect them before it's too late. You WILL suffer hearing loss in your later years.

I might be rusty on this but I'm pretty sure your employer is supposed to supply hearing protection under OHSA regulations. If your ears are taking a beating at work protect them before it's too late. You WILL suffer hearing loss in your later years.

Agreed. This goes for any stuff around the house that can cause issues too. I bought some ear protectors a while back and use them with my gas strimmer, lawnmower and some power tools. I wasn’t always careful and have semi permanent tinnitus and can’t hear people that well in noisy bars etc. Hearing loss is permanent and additive. Look after yourself.

Having tried a few earbud/plug options; I found these to be the best for me personally. They include both soft and 3-tier style plug options depending on your canal. I've had them in for 6 hours without issue, can't even notice they are there. When compared with regular ear plugs, I feel they are nearly-if not, just as effective.

https://www.plugfones.com/

I won't listen to the music aspect if I'm riding in town or in busy areas, but great for country, etc.

I've tried a few different foam and silicone plugs. Settled on the 3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neons. Most comfortable by far. I prefer disposable so I don't have to jam funked up plugs back into my ear.

It seems quite common to ride with ear plugs?

My helmet covers my ears that I find it helps block enough out, but still lets me hear things around me. I find the road noise from cars etc is helpful to know what is going on around me, and if some jerk is racing up next to me.

I've used custom molded ear plugs for almost a decade and I'll never ride without them.

Can't stand anything jammed into my ears and my helmets do a pretty good job of keeping sound tolerable. My hearing is not something I want to impair when I'm riding a motorcycle there are too many important sounds to hear, not hearing them would make things more problematic or potentially dangerous imho. I rarely even have a radio on when I drive my truck, I'd rather hear everything going on around me so statistically I don't exist.

Really love people who install intentionally loud pipes on their motorcycle and then wear ear plugs to dampen the racket <- don't be that guy.

I wear earbuds 99.99% of the time. They account for about 15dB of passive noise attenuation, plus I can listen to my audiobooks while I ride.

I prefer old Sony MDR-EX71SL's, but they're impossible to find these days (discontinued like a decade ago) and my spares pile is rapidly declining. MDR-EX77LP's (or SL's) are great too, also discontinued, and better sound. But modern options would be MDR-EX50's (just headphones) or MDR-EX110AP's (phone headsets). They have Y cables which I'm not a fan of, but they function well enough, have great sound, and fit well.

One of my most important requirements for earbuds is the soft cable shaft leading into the earbud. Taking a helmet off with earbuds that have a solid shaft 1cm or longer ends up getting caught on the helmet padding, and grinds/shoves the earbud into my ear causing bruising, etc.

Unfortunately, the wires for the earbuds are fairly fragile, and go through great stress either at the Y junction or at the point where the earbud meets the wire, so I go through a couple sets a year.

I carry a set or two of 24dB or better foam earplugs for those exceptionally windy days, but I've never actually needed them since upgrading to Schuberth C3 Pros.

Back
Top Bottom