Flying your bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flying your bike

Re: Flying the bike - booked for Mid June for BC

What if you flew to Calgary ,rode to Revelstoke,then on to Salmon arm

Same cost Calgary or Vancouver and I know the Vancouver arrangement.

Trucking rates are up ...both places I tried were more expensive than flying and the bike ended in Abbottsford which added complications.

Mac maybe give these guys a try.
https://jrhall.ca/

I think adding in the cost of fuel and such is important when dealing with a trip of this magnitude.
Theres Gas Food and lodging and then the days to get there vs flight or truck for bike and flight for person.
The biggest thing is the days to get there.
Some of us only have a limited time for holidays and the 4 or 5 days just to get there can prove to be very valuable.
if it were me i would truck bike and fly out but that's just me
I've done that ride 5 times and trailer once and flew and to me that's the way to go.

I would too but when truck is the same price as flying ..makes no sense to be without the bike for a week and have to get to Abbotsford.

WIth my kid it was his need to get back in 3 weeks. I don't have that limitation riding both directions does not appeal. I may change my mind.

Thanks for the reference.

Okay given up on trucking - same price as flying and as much or more money and way more awkward.
....thinking I might ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/LiV1fT6rWZN2

4,380 km door to door via fastest/slab ...averg 876 km per day. Not bad in June with the long days and that includes Chief Joseph Pass.

4 nights $60,
$240

5 days fuel $50 ( $2.50 US per Gal 5 gal tank 300 km )
$250

5 days food $20.
$100

Thinking I leave Saturday June 9th - puts in Wednesday evening the 13th at earliest to Salmon Arm.
Booking is for 15th ....so might need another night or two BUT I want the ability to either wander a bit once I get to Missoula or take a rest day or drop average to 720 km which I know I can handle tho adds a day.

An extra day or two of food and lodging in pretty riding areas Glacier etc not really an issue and I do want to catch the Badlands this time and Chief Joseph Pass which would add a couple hundred KM

This also leaves me bad weather adjustment for leaving. Might just be a plan.

Then for sure would come back via Canada. 3780 km shortest through Canada but under Lake Superior. If I take 5 days thats 750 km a day. Bit more expense on food lodging and gas but I was expecting this anyways.

My alternative was fly or do the US route outbound and always the Cdn route home BUT
this also allows for weather to reverse it. Cdn out and US back.

Now to get the bike serviced and some bloody local riding in grrrrr. Forks on Sat for sure....I bet it will be jammed.

New tires and new stator are good things to start with already done and the Shorai battery has it starting even today like it has never done before.

Last edited:

If you want to take a slightly different route on the way west take 90 vs 94 and then in Sheridan WY take 14 or 14A (I did 14) across the bighorn mountain pass and into Yellowstone NP. That stretch of road was one of the most memorable stretches of road I've ever experienced in the entirety of the USA that I've travelled.

You can then skip through Yellowstone, get the obligatory photo at Old Faithful, head out the west gate (@ West Yellowstone) and take 287 back up to the interstate again.

Yeah, it'll add some time without question, but you won't regret it.

I've done Yellowstone a couple times already but missed Chief Joseph thanks to being brain dead on the GPS app and nattering with my kid on the SENA - we'd had a brutally hot ride through Yellowstone on Father's Day then lots of fun on Beartooth ...just got stupid heading east.

....once I get in the area I'll play it by ear depending on energy and weather. Appreciate the feedback

Mac just throwing this out there but don't be surprised if Going-to-the-Sun Road is closed.
Sometime parts of it don't completely open till late June.

IMG_20140717_154513.jpg

IMG_20140717_171323.jpg

Yeah - got caught by a snow squall at the visitor centre on that road and found out getting wet hands into certain waterproof gloves is impossible. I'll play it by ear.

Late June Beartooth

ASkvdL2CPlEHO2Zcu8zvl2qV6vGgQt31euyX9wIPH_nZKpFwPv49SwJPGr_H-l9H1ZZaJcCgF57UodsscSn5koRcGltstADah2j0pS4KKoW2avUHw1lXicQhaOQSYD88Yc6-POeHBegRpcQYsQvXdkgRy2zbfTVLjZ-4upIcaRfl2zCQCoVAaS93V6shLxwBBNXdPxYNfMEX1FLvgHNaefx96o2Hquio6wVdrXaWWcvTB87Pjz62qSnp4iztSChkkD_g8CdKs17SETatqfrgDKVtpP6hUwYhbyAhwjYyh9gUzyPYketuGaZpsquzfN8GsfasIxF67xSiIYDUhSnNf-bz5BF7NnvT8DdO0CrEOFzhVzWBj9JRr5ME958SHeVv1UdILDN3HQ3C931htLVFGDwdRcM8hWKSuvH8mm1Tu_v71Kv7xx0rDUV-uSk1ERPjO8b3meXQqp0Kh_3N3KDv1ChoteTEUnXJUFYOMI-C2pclmlviIQ1KfY68vp8mpdeYxE15HKoqYCTjVJXoAxT8-M0DtnbtautsLWPrX-CenmDX-a5-T3Dt3RQq0aLsplogD_yhZrxiHRVCDApdoVMkEzvq3GIGoMAqZEiSoPs=w589-h332-no

Last edited:

Have a great trip man and take lots of pics.
Me...I'm headed in the other direction April 28th if the weather holds out.
Gonna make a B-Line for Maggie Valley and spend a week or so down there the maybe to Myrtle and head up the coast to Virginia Beach then Delaware and home.

I might do a south bound run just to see some greenery - but 3-4 days only - have fun.

Well this moves me further towards riding both ways

Was worried about my feet for this cross country tour as my Guarne are not waterproof anymore on one foot and I did not get Gortex so no warranty plus they are set up for the Vstrom and the KLR not the smaller CBF1000.

Looked on Kiji ....

BMW-Allround-Boots.jpg

https://www.blackfootonline.ca/product/bmw-allround-boots/

$75 in very nice condition and they fit and yeah ....Gortex :D

Now just to find a fuel container tho really for my trip it's a bit over the top ...trouble is the CBF eats fuel and has a shortish range...280 km at speed ....so a little reassurance is good.

Last edited:

I ran out of gas once Mac.
It was in the Badlands and I was back up and running inside an hour.
CAA is your friend. :)

Last edited:

If you want to take a slightly different route on the way west take 90 vs 94 and then in Sheridan WY take 14 or 14A (I did 14) across the bighorn mountain pass and into Yellowstone NP. That stretch of road was one of the most memorable stretches of road I've ever experienced in the entirety of the USA that I've travelled.

I took 14A on my trip last year. One of the best roads of that journey.

noted...since I'm doing Chief Joseph I have to think 14a is an easy addition.

That's a really nice addition

Takes me a different and better route to Salmon Arm

https://goo.gl/maps/QfrQzizjdYC2

Is 14a Beartooth ??

Last edited:

Is 14a Beartooth ??

Nope.

Beartooth is 212 in Yellowstone.

14 and 14A are East of Yellowstone in Bighorn National Forest/Burgess Junction

Okay - didn't burrow in far enough ...yeah looks a good addition and take me north through the mountains.

Last edited:

I took 14A on my trip last year. One of the best roads of that journey.

Indeed, I had to go back-and-forth between which one to take and opted for 14 as there was a big pull-off spot I could see on Google satellite where I could spend the night if need be - it was a bit late in the day when we started the trek.

Certainly not a high-speed stretch of road with all of the switchbacks and grades, but wow was it ever scenic.

....Takes me a different and better route to Salmon Arm

https://goo.gl/maps/QfrQzizjdYC2

You really need to consider riding in the Kootenays. Some of the best roads in B.C. are centred around New Denver (Hwy 6)... just to the west of your intended route.

Back
Top Bottom