Flying your bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flying your bike

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Flying the bike - booked for Mid June for BC

Figured a few may be interested in this.

I don't have the 2018 info yet but will pursue .

For 2017 it was about $900 to fly Toronto to Vancouver.

https://canadamotoguide.com/2017/04/27/update-air-canada-motorcycle-cargo-rates/

I figure it would cost $350 in fuel, $300 in accommodations and about $120 in food to ride the distance plus wear and tear plus I have the points to do it.

That puts me in the mountains the very same day.

Salmon Arm is nice and central as a base.
This costs $72 a night including breakfast for 14 nights.

1acfdb09_original.jpg

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1709363...in=2018-06-15&check_out=2018-06-29&s=Pq3gIkdJ

this is much less $35 a night and my kind ambience.

d0e1a75d-da4e-479c-807e-92cc3f00511e.jpg

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/8969972...in=2018-06-15&check_out=2018-06-29&s=1ll2u0hq

430 KM ride from Vancouver airport so perfect position for day trips in central BC
Booked this for Friday, June 15th to June 29th

Nice host ....fresh eggs ( she keeps chickens ) and used to ride pillion. KNows the best roads.....something to look forward to.

Kick back place for me to work ....she works from home as well so high speed internet sealed the deal.

86f4ea54-2b34-427f-815c-22f823553622.jpg

First time I've based for a long period and at $35 a night even if I stay elsewhere for a night or two ....no biggie.

All booked on Air Canada ...leave 7 am on Friday and get into Vancouver at 9 am.

Have the bike by 10 and hopefully a nice riding day for the ride to Falkland. Might have time to go via 99 - one of my fav roads.
Have to figure jacket.

Last edited:
Re: Flying the bike - booked for Mid June for BC

Jealous.

Wish we had the time. If I was going out there to ride I'd want at least 2 weeks, plus realistically 3-4 days for the trip home at the pace (mainly KM per day) my wife likes to ride at vs myself.

We did a trip out west with our RV in 2008, 4 weeks, 12,000KM, all sorts of fun, but different than riding.

Figured a few may be interested in this.

I don't have the 2018 info yet but will pursue .

For 2017 it was about $900 to fly Toronto to Vancouver.

https://canadamotoguide.com/2017/04/27/update-air-canada-motorcycle-cargo-rates/

I figure it would cost $350 in fuel, $300 in accommodations and about $120 in food to ride the distance plus wear and tear plus I have the points to do it.

That puts me in the mountains the very same day.

Salmon Arm is nice and central as a base.
This costs $72 a night including breakfast for 14 nights.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1709363...in=2018-06-15&check_out=2018-06-29&s=Pq3gIkdJ

this is much less $35 a night and my kind ambience.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/8969972...in=2018-06-15&check_out=2018-06-29&s=1ll2u0hq

430 KM ride from Vancouver airport so perfect position for day trips in central BC
Booked this for Friday, June 15th to June 29th

Nice host ....fresh eggs ( she keeps chickens ) and used to ride pillion. KNows the best roads.....something to look forward to.

Kick back place for me to work ....she works from home as well so high speed internet sealed the deal.

First time I've based for a long period and at $35 a night even if I stay elsewhere for a night or two ....no biggie.

All booked on Air Canada ...leave 7 am on Friday and get into Vancouver at 9 am.

Have the bike by 10 and hopefully a nice riding day for the ride to Falkland. Might have time to go via 99 - one of my fav roads.
Have to figure jacket.

Thanks for sharing ... I was thinking about the same thing, flying the bike to Vancity and riding back to Toronto.

It was a bit spur of the moment but it's been brewing ever since 2015 that I wanted to spend time riding in mid-BC at a leisurely pace instead of hither and yon.
Done that with the kid and a couple trips in the cage with the squeeze so this far more leisurely and I'll just work for two weeks from their and enjoy the local roads.

Ticket is booked but can be cancelled for $17

AirBnb can be cancelled within a couple days so if the rains are torrential I can reconsider.

a wicked pub that is walkable appeals.

falkland-pub.jpg

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...s-Falkland_Pub-Falkland_British_Columbia.html

At the last bike show Air Canada was there with 2018 rates of $1200 for one way bike shipping - Toronto to Vancouver.
Not sure of any other details or specials they may be offering.

At the last bike show Air Canada was there with 2018 rates of $1200 for one way bike shipping - Toronto to Vancouver.
Not sure of any other details or specials they may be offering.

Is the $1200 for 1 way bike shipping separate from the ticket you as the rider will need to fly over?

That sounds more like Europe prices.

Ticket is $220 to Vancouver. Will give you quote on the bike soon.

That sounds more like Europe prices.

Ticket is $220 to Vancouver. Will give you quote on the bike soon.

If I could fly to Vancouver for $220 all in I'll go for the weekend. Please share.

remember that's one way.

Before you go
E-ticket: This email can be used as an E-ticket.

Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.
Travel dates
15 Jun 2018 - 15 Jun 2018
Itinerary #
Confirmation
AFZ7NV (Air Canada)

Departure

Fri, 15 Jun
Air Canada 101
Toronto (YYZ)
7:00am
Terminal: 1
flight to
Vancouver (YVR)
8:49am
Terminal: M
Cabin: Economy (K)
4h 49m duration
Total Duration
4h 49m

Price summary
Traveller 1: Adult C$227.27 FlightC$169.00 Taxes & Fees C$58.27
Trip Cancellation CoverageC$16.20

Total C$243.47

Booked via Expedia for TD ...paid on points. I added the trip cancellation just in case I decided to ride out or any other issues that arose. The Air BnB I can cancel up to 5 days ahead,

$1000 is cost this year from AirCanada cargo. I'm going to check trucking tho I hate to be without the bike for a week. :(

Truck appears to be $500 ish

Last edited:

remember that's one way.

Fair enough. But thats still supprisingly cheap.

I've been educated!

Last edited:

Very competitive route

Getting a quote for shipping by truck

https://www.uship.com/listing.aspx?redirect=222030606

I like that it's pickup and don't have to deal with the dangerous goods inspection ( not big deal - just annoying ) ...then I have to drop the bike at the Airport and get a ride back home.
DO like that I get to Vancouver Airport in the morning and 5 minute taxi ride and I'm off as opposed to going to a truck depot.
Still undecided.

Might even ride both directions.

Last edited:

So around $1200-$1300 to fly yourself and your bike to Vancouver one way.

I'm trying to do the "math" on this, using my previous cross America trip that I did to Colorado/Montana as a reference.

Google Maps says Vancouver is Aprox 4,400kms away. Having done a heavy slabbing ride I know that it's tough trying to make heavy mileage throughout the day. If you split up that distance it will be 5 days of 880 kms/day. If your bike does 350kms/fill up that's around 13 fill ups. 5x AirBnBs/Cheap motels if you shop properly won't cost you more than $400 for all of them.

So if one decides to ride out west to BC it would cost in and around:

5 days of your time.
13x$25 fill ups= $325 (will vary for every bike and gas cost)
5xAirBnb/Motels= $400
Food: varies on the person.
Apx cost heading west= $725

That's not including the tires you'll have squared off during that time, and that you are now 4,400 kms closer to an oil change.

I'd worry about my bike being damaged on the fight over though. Also, $1,300 could get you a return flight to somewhere pretty awesome, like Japan

Not a bad analysis. I only get 300km per tank so that puts fuel higher. - $400 - maybe more at slab speed. The CBF is thirsty unlike the Vstrom I took last time. I might take a small fuel can.

Food has got to be $20 a day $100

So more like $900 to ride.

There is also wear and tear on me as well as tires and chain.

There is very little risk of damage from flying the bike ...it's strapped down very firmly in a standard aircraft cargo container complete with luggage ....remember I've done this once already.

I've already been all over the world
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
and Japan 3-4 times in the 70s and 80s.
I'll be riding in Australia at home there in August through Oct so....June is Canada time.

Spring in Canada is my favourite time and I didn't get enough time when out there in 2015 to explore the mountains.....will be a treat to ride from a base with 15 hour daylight.

Sunrise is 4.40 am and sunset 9.13 ....gives lots of golden hour time for photographing.

The biggest factor for me is I cannot work and ride .....I can work on the plane out there and every day at the AirBnb.
It's costly for me not to be online regularly....a single sale makes up the difference between flying and riding. While I can keep track on the phone I can't reply the way I can from the laptop.

It's okay one way ....two ways costs too much out of touch as well as tires, chain and wear and tear on me.

The biggest positive is you get to the airport at 10 am ( leave Toronto 8 am get to Van at 9 am )...have your bike in an hour and out into the mountains for the day....you're fresh and eager ....not bagged from 4-5 days on the flatlands.

Going home is with the prevailing winds which lets me track weather fronts and move behind say a Thunderstorm line for days at a time. Kid and I got only a couple of hours of rain coming back when we caught up with the front in Chicago.

Sat the rain and traffic out ....got a room...home the next day. 22 days.

v2

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/bc-trip-with-kenz

My math, if I was with some hard core buddies:

Three 1400KM days, 1 tent.

Gas @5.5L/100KM = somewhere in the range of $250 given an average of probably $1.00/L average price between the CDN and US side, and exchange.

3 days of budget meals (yeah, probably fast food and coffee shop fare) = $50/day.

So yeah, probably $600 after incidentals and such.

FWIW I've done the USA Vancouver route before across Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montana. It ranged from mind numbingly boring to incredibly scenic, but you can make good time.

I'd have to think long and hard about one way vs the other. I do enjoy riding super long days.

Why calculate the cost fuel or wear and tear on your bike?Isn't that what you bought the thing for?It's an irrelevant cost.Jeesh,take a plane and rent a car ffs.

I don't tent and have not done the Canadian route home......the Dakotas were marginal

but lovely in spring - this was on the way home.

v2

and always stuff to photograph

v2

Audiobook really makes the time go by. Cross winds were tiring tho.

I will likely come home via Michigan as I did the Superior Loop last year but will depend on weather and energy.

Last edited:

I’ve done the Canadian route as well. If I was doing the trip again from west to east I would do part of it in Canada and part of it in the states – skip south and do the bulk of the flatlands across the USA (both are boring, but the Canadian prairies is a special level of boring IMHO, and the roads in the US are better/faster, not to mention the cheaper fuel) and then skip back into Canada on the eastern side of Manitoba and make the trip around the lakes and down from the north – that was a generally much more enjoyable scenic area (especially around the east side of Superior) and you skip Chicago and all the high speed slab the rest of the way home.

Also don't forget current price of Reg in Vancouver is AVG $154.9!!!!

They are predicting by June our Prices should be about $1.40 Meaning Van should be about $1.60

Also don't forget current price of Reg in Vancouver is AVG $154.9!!!!

They are predicting by June our Prices should be about $1.40 Meaning Van should be about $1.60

About an extra $7/tank full (for ~250-275KM in my case) for the average bike vs the $1.00/L or so US prices will likely hold at.

For someone driving a gas guzzler pickup burning 15L/100KM it would be a bigger deal and worth ones while to take the US route, but for a bike... <$30 extra per 1000KM isn't a big deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom