Flying your bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flying your bike

Re: Flying the bike - booked for Mid June for BC

Sure... I'll be based out of Salmon Arm for 2 weeks so bring on the recommendations.

••••

Sniff....kid sold his FZ8 today .... :(
xGmG8SQtiIfmYOaH5qvLUcHUG2r4yAbpNb5fKv3cY9Qf-GNgk8LgNU6uoe6h5teZZXy4XCZK6zX_FKYlbT2b9SGN-9hwzbXCZWOE4mw-gLew-6RsXfk_dJRY3SMof-xbpiuQAjpI4ED2KhkAMH4ghCxfCQPiJb8RB6Z4SxkzEMldJITkgvC4ZsFhHG9ikZEWVGWo0DlG8NGJI1L-Px-giD3LXXtPPWrG7o_wGX5lTACb0D-qDw0y8r_4va91lZAOGR5_ZPYmGre5kXwu0ZJtXhns-BScA_7NRgtOwumAftAyjc_2kWmEngPt0j9PstizMwtvBG0oaCoEBUmySv3e4sQAaO2ak_mlj5fz9EvOvp5qhlH2V-QfisUOSN6DreIZBkhx5Vh5TJ-Lpa9h2VJVX8d9fXOVCcT0XoTAMK-2A0TmGy6-aEU9QsT4OX3knZvDrzGPxVAHozxj0gJcIv6F0hq0LtWTXbPUWysnpCypywUWNXTd0DnDjFxczQZtNim9thSnXrcza7v8w9ylPYdZ6SEDC9yw_ri5h--QA4r0CPgtilzsI5NXW0sNn-oe31-n8lgFFQLdhsFKgEg6unaTmLh99gX2LfxsCMSivyDl=w1152-h648-no

Oh well...my cut will pay for the trip out west :D

Last edited:

ready to tour ...just add my tank bag

b2uX78mPvp75IoqqpbSxYfrowU3WyTx6zQohorkEoWbLmLvvaupgHzWYc-LO5ReF5eVIYTuEt-8AGnSV4tZz-EU2g2Uo8u-YgnlVm-DnVAhKqAzU0qggdTkHQchDcMvFC5TIUQ1kCmPrZFQJ2N7fHafaH6snOAp9YI0KImaLbEgl64wO5q7JrLXrpmsb_3CntDT4Z_aDCrYqcfViohvFSJgVk_EDyLZgusuS_U5s9FNn6T9kAdwPVwuiPANb2oFeo275IZWbyv7jctzBO_XvedNOB5l6VY4k_Lal0xTOW1FwQDjPNGRA7HzVJveMh1ni5AFm033k-0FBVJSDx4CqPDIZJf0kC4LsH1uTmrugcxt9cVwuZUqC3beKZHA3Xw6wBuXxfksNZZh8vdOeXi_llH9pLX9oO-I7naNEIHkShiQ8H72Bz_ToXrdXhUZNymTOFgCkX2jO9fla8q7i1iUWfW5FaLRMASRrqr0S4nb8ZaW4OMCWCzHsq5viR1UCLVjlA3c2x0cS-ynAa2RsUTDFPL2IrGsRU57bU6ZmwFxt2t8cvLKrLsVWqty_MrMZAKSNeCOIxI32Au6m3eIKs6D8jNCmlw_oTBQrKwE8wkdB=w1320-h966-no

2 x 33 ltr factory side cases, 37 ltr Shad Top case, 20 ltr tank bag. Lotsa room since I don't camp.
I'll strap the spare fuel to the backrest

41xaJOr4azL.jpg

Last edited:

Who be it for me to plan your vacation... you are more than adept. I just don't understand your why you would want to make Salmon Arm your base. Is it the B&B ??

Granted I'm biased as I grew up in the Kootenays but I would suggest you use Nelson as your base.

Bear in mind you are going right at the beginning of Forest Fire season and whatever you plan have a 2nd and third option. Had you done this last year you would be breathing smoke rather than fresh air.

http://riderswestmag.com/britishcolumbia/article/riding_b.c.s_hidden_motorcycle_paradise

one suggestion... https://tinyurl.com/y9sgfs8r

Okay given up on trucking - same price as flying and as much or more money and way more awkward.
....thinking I might ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/LiV1fT6rWZN2

4,380 km door to door via fastest/slab ...averg 876 km per day. Not bad in June with the long days and that includes Chief Joseph Pass.

4 nights $60,
$240

5 days fuel $50 ( $2.50 US per Gal 5 gal tank 300 km )
$250

5 days food $20.
$100

Thinking I leave Saturday June 9th - puts in Wednesday evening the 13th at earliest to Salmon Arm.
Booking is for 15th ....so might need another night or two BUT I want the ability to either wander a bit once I get to Missoula or take a rest day or drop average to 720 km which I know I can handle tho adds a day.

An extra day or two of food and lodging in pretty riding areas Glacier etc not really an issue and I do want to catch the Badlands this time and Chief Joseph Pass which would add a couple hundred KM

This also leaves me bad weather adjustment for leaving. Might just be a plan.

Then for sure would come back via Canada. 3780 km shortest through Canada but under Lake Superior. If I take 5 days thats 750 km a day. Bit more expense on food lodging and gas but I was expecting this anyways.

My alternative was fly or do the US route outbound and always the Cdn route home BUT
this also allows for weather to reverse it. Cdn out and US back.

Now to get the bike serviced and some bloody local riding in grrrrr. Forks on Sat for sure....I bet it will be jammed.

New tires and new stator are good things to start with already done and the Shorai battery has it starting even today like it has never done before.

The logic regarding cost seems generally flawed to me. You have 14 days where you'll be paying for lodging, food, and gas. Whether a bunch of those days are "commuting" vs already being in B.C. is irrelevant from a cost perspective. Whether you're on the road or already in B.C. you'll still need to sleep, eat, and gas your bike every day. The only way your math makes sense is if the "commuting" days are in addition to the vacation days. You're paying ~$1200 more by flying you and the bike, but have the benefit of being in B.C. the entire time and not wasting vacation days "commuting" there.

They are not "vacation days" ....I don't have any time restrictions - it's wear and tear on me. I work where ever there is internet so not an issue. Costs a bit from that aspect when I'm doing high mileage days but not a big deal.

I'm leaving June 9th to get there June 15th unless the weather is horrid ....then I'll fly instead and ride back.

Adding flying the bike, to the someday bucket list. Fly it to Dublin, ride up north then ferry to Glasgow, ride south to Wales, east to Dover, train to Calais, etc.

Adding flying the bike, to the someday bucket list. Fly it to Dublin, ride up north then ferry to Glasgow, ride south to Wales, east to Dover, train to Calais, etc.

Perfect! I'm in!

Flying to another country/continent I think renting a bike when there is the better idea. Less worry about transporting your bike, or if something serious happens and it's so far from home.

When I did my trip to Japan it was nice just renting a bike and not really caring about it and enjoying the trip.

I think it depends on where and length of stay. A couple of German riders were dismayed when they found they could have flown their own bikes from Germany. Their 3 month rental was punitive.

•••

Black Hills
Looks like Day 4 for me if all goes well.
https://goo.gl/maps/SMUJEjjKBVG2

Anyone have suggestions for the area for scenic twists? Possible I might take a light day after hoofing it.

I think it depends on where and length of stay.

I would think longer then 3 weeks fly yours - less just rent. Speaking UK. Looking at renting in Scotland 2020 for 2 weeks.

Hmmm lets see Figure $2000 round trip for the bike and you will have to fly anyway so that is neutral ...bring your own food on the flight as it is excrable on Air Canada

and F800 is $1500 a week cdn ..so would seem even two weeks might see you ahead with a lot more flexibility

https://rentamotorcycle.co.uk/rental-price/

Your own bike, luggage and gear would seem a treat.

quiraing.jpg

Hmmm lets see Figure $2000 round trip for the bike and you will have to fly anyway so that is neutral ...bring your own food on the flight as it is excrable on Air Canada

and F800 is $1500 a week cdn ..so would seem even two weeks might see you ahead with a lot more flexibility

Last time I was at the Quaring (above pic) there was a traffic jamb. Skye has become way too popular.

Not sure I would recommend Skye on the motorcycle unless off season.

Loads of lovely roads elsewhere on the west coast

v2

Not sure I would recommend Skye on the motorcycle unless off season.

Loads of lovely roads elsewhere on the west coast

v2

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this sucks ...looks like I have a timing issue with BC ride and going to Australia for 3 months on a free flight....guess which gets turfed ?

Staff a bit gnarly about me being gone in October on the original plan and moving it back a month means too tight with BC trip AND no OshKosh.....

biojbtfsplk.jpg

Original plan meant 7 months of the next 14 out of the office ( tho still working )

Back
Top Bottom