There is hope for spring | GTAMotorcycle.com

There is hope for spring

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Lz07fBWgYrfX5NvyxoDC6BardtQSRfhuwZEZ9QK17cnmHP9xGCdgIvjhQf5ArzfhansCV8lSiHsY4M7YJHg4EBVdslv_ABttCYPmUoK3ShqZOy46FU1ngaMYHzajcRMyZD7JRN0e2i4whbrwSli-bYrYQ3CzFZnLHtvi6kxGBasIiFLbBcl4687WbbGajsm9DYbeg2254PrA4LMRBhebwZ778RA4UORkZ_wrAMc8WsF14ICs8VQPPFGAb2VujwhY4Dvn0tXcEMXmTrpaPyi8a9uzIEoyz3IKCWhOSSzU3JqqGR4RkDJhZGHrKhVDMR1a7ZY-6BQwYtBmB_VGPFiIF2KYZn8Vd86WxgTV9BjLk7lzU8oAWDl0bFdA_r56eXsw_D77WTBAJYSUd1nX4fFNWALTVPdSq3vYy-wsWzO9xzxMxwEuUVDIEYJ2YKHhbHqC6gz35ezo3xQEl1-0VKCIXR3i-XjSLV-7HOVPxRy5mXK7Us3rXd59o-gqAbMkJLw-pS2lwC3hFJjbvelawdY2QKz_7RvurLAb5fE_uenqUH1jzrpuV-FrVFVH4eHRJEIV2FQOQ49JM6VTdPe7nXKZUVU389pf14xSmYZC8ZDV=w1116-h500-no

At this point I'm pretty well resigned to the idea that I won't be riding until May. :( With my new ST sitting in the garage, it's killing me but Peterborough just put down a fresh coat of brine on the 115 and several major streets in town. Will need a few good rains to get it washed off again.

I prefer brine to salt - it dries up, sticks, and isn't slippery (so you can ride on it with zero issue) and it washes away after the first moisture event, so it's not like the piles of rock salt that sometimes sit around for weeks after it was put down.

But yes, it looks like spring is finally going to arrive in the latter half of this coming week. Normal daytime temps are 9 degrees this time of year, so we'll be at least near it finally.

Better wait a few more weeks.
Experience tells me that the summer will likely be on cool side. The planet's trying to correct global warming however caused. It's the theory of Gaia postulated by James Lovelock. Check it out. The next ice age when Canada will be covered by 1 km of ice while overdue likely won't happen for another few hundred years. So sleep tight. No worries.

Experience tells me that the summer will likely be on cool side. The planet's trying to correct global warming however caused. It's the theory of Gaia postulated by James Lovelock. Check it out. The next ice age when Canada will be covered by 1 km of ice while overdue likely won't happen for another few hundred years. So sleep tight. No worries.

Climate change is real

It certainly is and in most part responsible for this cooler weather due to the slow down of the jet stream allowed artic air excursions to the south....meanwhile the artic is insanely above normal.

moving on

Better wait a few more weeks.

Seriously you jest :rolleyes: Anything above 6 is fine locally and above 10 = long rides,

Anything above Minus -7 is good for me.

Been commuting on and off since February, and everyday since mid March, dress warm and your good to go. Waiting this weather to warm up will probably take you into July....;)

Or maybe it's just a weather phenomenon where the earth heats & cools. It's been doing that since the dinosaurs & it will continue to do so.

Or more likely you haven't a clue what you are talking about or own stock in fossil company and are in denial. :D
Either way the science and the observed changes say you are wrong.

The Arctic dipole has moved from an occasional weather phenomena to a constant one allowing lobes of cold air to spill from the Arctic.

180105-polar-vortex-mn-1255_91da0bac6e8bf8d2c37716e8577ced68.fit-760w.jpg

So you get 15 in Feb briefly depending on where the lobes are and a ridiculous intrusion in April.

Ugh... I can't wait until I can take out my bike. I hope it's gonna be a decently warm summer; last summer it was pretty chilly on some days even in late may.

Or more likely you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I appropriately truncated that for you.

I’m always amazed at the people who went to Google University and then know more than scientists on their chosen topics.

I'm all for a ridiculous intrusion into April

Or more likely you haven't a clue what you are talking about or own stock in fossil company and are in denial. :D
Either way the science and the observed changes say you are wrong.

The Arctic dipole has moved from an occasional weather phenomena to a constant one allowing lobes of cold air to spill from the Arctic.

180105-polar-vortex-mn-1255_91da0bac6e8bf8d2c37716e8577ced68.fit-760w.jpg

So you get 15 in Feb briefly depending on where the lobes are and a ridiculous intrusion in April.
Lol, are you comparing weather data from 10 years or millions of years? When we warmed up from the great ice age, was that global warming?

How many ice ages were there?
Humans are so short sighted, they think the earth is as old as the length of time man walked the earth.

Lol, are you comparing weather data from 10 years or millions of years? When we warmed up from the great ice age, was that global warming?

Humans are so short sighted, they think the earth is as old as the length of time man walked the earth.

The Earth warming up after the last ice age, as well as every other change in climate over the billions of years the earth has been around, was climate change. Climate change is a natural phenomenon and there is plenty of first hand measured evidence as well as geological evidence to demonstrate it. But when people refer to man made climate change, they refer to an acceleration of the natural phenomenon by human activity or industry, not the existence of the phenomenon itself. There is ample evidence of a deviation from mean warming over the years coinciding with human industrialization. This stuff was settled and in books even when I was in grade school in the 90s in a post communist country... I'm honestly astounded to see North Americans still debating whether human activity has an effect on climate.

Type 17 ...couldn't have put it better.

Global warming can have number of physical causes ....even a volcano going off can cool the atmosphere for a few years and these are observable in the temperature record.

AGW stands for Anthropocentric Global Warming which we have in play now.
The release of CO2 from fossil fuels warming the atmosphere was realized in the 18th century but even as late as the 50s no one gave it much mind.

Come the 70s..some scientists for the fossil fuel companies were warning of the consequences and in the 80s both the evidence and predictions arising out of that evidence were firmed up.

Ice Ages are driven by the change in the tilt and orbit of the earth - they are called Milankovich cycles and work over 10s or 100s of thousands of years.
We were slowly moving toward another ice age based on that up to about 300 years ago when the trend suddenly reversed then spiked as we industrialized.

easy to see here
2000_year_temperature_comparison.png

C02 is the major thermostat of the planet it accelerates both warming and cooling as a cold ocean holds more CO2 which then cools the earth/ocean in a feedback.
Reverse the feedback and it warms the planet as the Milankovich cycle moves into the warming phase.

This is simple science that can be demonstrated on a table top and has been in many science fairs.

Once Exxon figured it out in the 70s ( yes it's on record ) they realized they would be liable for the consequences so set out the Koolaid a few have swallowed here. They delayed the law suits for a decade or so but chickens coming home to roost now. New York City alone is suing for billions.

So while it might be counter intuitive that the warming planet could cause reallllllly cold incursions of Arctic Air ...that is what is causing the extremes and with more moisture in the atmosphere ....serious storms....not more storms, just more intense storms and a very difficult environment to be a mid lattitude farmer. Soon enough wheat farmers will only be in Canada as the US will be too warm tho strains are being developed.

BTW for the remaining hold outs....even the fuel companies acknowledge it in court.

n the country’s first court hearing on the science behind climate change, a lawyer for Chevron, Theodore Boutrous Jr., said the oil company accepts the scientific consensus. He quoted chapter and verse from the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the thousands of scientists assembled by the United Nations to figure out exactly what’s going on. “From Chevron’s perspective, there is no debate about the science of climate change,” Boutrous said.

Oil companies have recently started saying they’re on the side of science, but they’ve never said it so clearly in court.
https://grist.org/article/fossil-fuels-are-the-problem-say-fossil-fuel-companies-being-sued/

Take away for riders from all of this.....expect some warm periods every winter and some cold periods when you'd not expect them historically...like now.....and do expect more wet :(

Thursday looks wonderful .they are now calling for 17 degrees !!!!!!...Forks rain or shine. :D

Last edited:
The Earth warming up after the last ice age, as well as every other change in climate over the billions of years the earth has been around, was climate change. Climate change is a natural phenomenon and there is plenty of first hand measured evidence as well as geological evidence to demonstrate it. But when people refer to man made climate change, they refer to an acceleration of the natural phenomenon by human activity or industry, not the existence of the phenomenon itself. There is ample evidence of a deviation from mean warming over the years coinciding with human industrialization. This stuff was settled and in books even when I was in grade school in the 90s in a post communist country... I'm honestly astounded to see North Americans still debating whether human activity has an effect on climate.

books?
who has the time for that?
can get all I need from a 20 second clip on TV
and facebook shapes my knowledge to suit my pre-conceived notions
only the weak waste time on opinions that make them think about stuff

Are you actually just an algorithm?

So first it was Climate Cooling, then Global warming, then oops Climate Change. Make up your minds!

There might be slight changes, but I don't think it's bad as it seems.

If you want, I will Gladly let you pay my carbon tax!

So first it was Climate Cooling, then Global warming, then oops Climate Change. Make up your minds!

There might be slight changes, but I don't think it's bad as it seems.

If you want, I will Gladly let you pay my carbon tax!

But RG, you yourself suggested that there was an ice age. Doesn't there not being an ice age now suggest to you that the climate is different now than it was during the ice age? Isn't that the climate changing?

Yes, "Global Warming" was the layman's term I had heard way back in the day. I've never heard of "Global Cooling". People smartened up and started calling it man made climate change because it's a more precise term.

This isn't a tax debate buddy...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom