as for emerg stop
they will tell what speed to go
and there will be pylons or a line or something
where you have to stop prior to it

go to parking lot and practice hard braking

without knowing more about what test your'e asking about
and what bike you ride
it's gonna be hard to give specific advice beyond that

That's perfect ! Thank you for the help !!

From memory, it's something like:

- head-bob check
- mirror check
- right turn signal
- locate a safe place to stop; don't stop in front of fire hydrants or someone's driveway
- come to a smooth, safe stop; head-bob, mirror check
- if your bike has hazard lights, turn them on
- side-stand down, dismount bike and lean it on the side stand. Make sure the following examiner sees this complete (turn and face them for a second.); there was no need to shut the bike off as I recall; the handbook doesn't mention getting off the bike but I did...
- get back on. cancel hazards, turn on left-turn indicator
- head bob, mirror check
- when safe to do so, re-join the flow of traffic; turn off indicator

If you do all that you should be good I'd think.

I am curious can you get your full M by getting it through a training course. Or do you need to go to the ministry to do the test?

I won't be eligible until next year (well technically during winter but that won't work), not in any rush but giving it some back burner thought.

I am pretty sure you can get full M through a school but i wouldn't bother. The full M road test is very basic and you should know everything if you took the course for you M1 and some seat time. If you need to brush up on on some things you can borrow the motorcycle handbook from the library. save your money

You can do it through a school/course. Conestoga College has an M2 Exit program. It's pretty good because it starts off with M1-exit basics (you re-do the M1X test to prove basic proficiency), follow up with parking lot exercises mimicking some of the road-course stuff (esp useful for guys that may have picked up some "bad" habits after up to 5 years of M2 riding), go out for a group ride with the instructor (with radios; they'll talk to individuals on different channels to give them tips during the ride...) before actually doing the road test (just you leading an examiner in a car following and giving instructions over the radio.)

It was worth every penny to me.

I have a Suzuki Boulevard C90T sorry I meant the m1 exit.

Holy! do you have enough motorcycle there :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest, straighten your arms, shift your weight to the rear, heels down and hammer on both binders, but your bike only has one seating position, is fitted with floorboards and weighs in at 800 pounds
:I doubt I could even ride it, best luck with the test.

Taking your M2 Exit through one of the colleges is a great way to help get rid of any bad habits you might have picked up since your last course. When it comes to motorcycle riding you can never get too much training.

Sorry for going off topic but since Conestoga was mentioned, any idea what bikes they use for the tests? I'm currently signed up for the Introduction to Motorcycle Riding Course there for Next Month & Kinda curious what'll be used to maybe find one at a local dealer or something to look at a bike before hand. if the Intro goes well then I'll likely go to Write my M1 later in May or maybe June.

Sorry for going off topic but since Conestoga was mentioned, any idea what bikes they use for the tests? I'm currently signed up for the Introduction to Motorcycle Riding Course there for Next Month & Kinda curious what'll be used to maybe find one at a local dealer or something to look at a bike before hand. if the Intro goes well then I'll likely go to Write my M1 later in May or maybe June.

When I went there it was generally Yamaha XT250s. I think they have some newer and different models of bikes now in addition to the XTs.

When I went there it was generally Yamaha XT250s. I think they have some newer and different models of bikes now in addition to the XTs.
Thanks, tonight was the classroom portion of the introduction course talking about licence requirements & restrictions, gear & stuff. We finished talking about stuff early so we got to go to the storage shed/garage & look at the bikes , besides the Yamaha XT (I'd say this is what the majority of the bikes are, they have various years considering the various decals on them, we were shown how to get on one & got to get on it ourselves), they have some Yamaha TT-R & a bike I found interesting, the Honda CG 150 Titan ESD, a Honda from Brazil! Wednesday is the riding portion of the course where they'll have bikes out for us to ride & learn the basics, however it wasn't mentioned on the website for the intro course that I saw but the students need our own helmet, they don't lend them out for liability reasons apparently, along with clothes/gear that would be suitable, I might be barely/somewhat ok for everything except for a Helmet, I need to get a cheap one by Wednesday night.

Thanks, tonight was the classroom portion of the introduction course talking about licence requirements & restrictions, gear & stuff. We finished talking about stuff early so we got to go to the storage shed/garage & look at the bikes , besides the Yamaha XT (I'd say this is what the majority of the bikes are, they have various years considering the various decals on them, we were shown how to get on one & got to get on it ourselves), they have some Yamaha TT-R & a bike I found interesting, the Honda CG 150 Titan ESD, a Honda from Brazil! Wednesday is the riding portion of the course where they'll have bikes out for us to ride & learn the basics, however it wasn't mentioned on the website for the intro course that I saw but the students need our own helmet, they don't lend them out for liability reasons apparently, along with clothes/gear that would be suitable, I might be barely/somewhat ok for everything except for a Helmet, I need to get a cheap one by Wednesday night.

Interesting. So you're currently taking GINT0324, the "Introduction to Motorcycling" course.

Are you still on the fence about riding or feel like you need to take this course before trying for your M1 or to take the GINT0315 M1-Exit course?

The 0315 course starts off pretty basic too. You'd learn everything from mounting and dismounting to side-stand use, to pushing each other around (engines off) to check balance and braking etc.

When I look at their site now it doesn't seem very clear on the equipment requirements; seems a little "hidden" in the "need to know" tab. A few years ago I recall reading that the 0315 course required that the student come equipped with:

- approved helmet
- gloves w/full fingers
- jacket
- full-length pants (jeans ok)
- sturdy boots that covered the ankle

If there's going to be any actual, powered riding I think you're going to want more than just a helmet:

https://www.conestogac.on.ca/motorcycle/need-to-know

(see "What to wear")

I'm not sure if you'll see any powered-riding on Wednesday. I suspect not, TBH. You might push each other and for that they may only require a helmet. You should check with your instructor.

The people teaching M2X tend to be the more experienced ones. Some, of them have thousands of hours doing instruction. It's always good to get some tips, and critique from someone who's been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt.

Yep it's GINT0324. I've never ridden on a motorcycle or even a dirt bike before, so I'm not sure how i'd handle myself on a bike, my Ontario Works worker was nice enough to give me the $130 to sign up for it. If it goes well & I decide to go for my Licence then she'll give me $80 for the M1 Package (the $500 for the M1X course would be to much for them unless I already have a job lined up & need it for transportation to & from work, so if I take the M1X course it'd need to come out of my own pocket). I live in a rural town, nearest city bus stop is about a 1 and a halfish hour walk (according to google maps, it's 1 hour 34 minutes, 7.9km), For the cost of a decent-good ebike i'm sure I could find a decent Scooter or Cruiser in the 125-250cc range (Maybe Max of 500cc) that would be faster & have a better Range, just need to Register, Safety & Insure it & Pay insurance every month + a Tank of Gas might only cost roughly $12 assuming a 9L tank & would last a week, maybe 2 or more compared to a ebike that might need to be recharged after every round trip(if it makes it on the charge)
as for gear, it's as you mentioned:
When I look at their site now it doesn't seem very clear on the equipment requirements; seems a little "hidden" in the "need to know" tab. A few years ago I recall reading that the 0315 course required that the student come equipped with:

- approved helmet
- gloves w/full fingers
- jacket
- full-length pants (jeans ok)
- sturdy boots that covered the ankle
Besides a helmet, gloves would be mandatory as we can't touch the bikes with our bare hands (I have some work gloves that should be ok)
For jacket, I have a old work king jacket that i'm hoping would be decent enough
For pants, I have some jeans (with no holes, so I won't need their duct tape to cover the holes)
As for Boots, I have some green rubber boots that Might be ok? if not then I have 1 or 2 pairs or steel toes, hopefully one of them would cover my ankles otherwise if the green rubbers or steel toes are not enough then I need some boots also.
I currently have about $170 to go towards stuff, I was hoping to get my fishing licence this month that should be $30-35 so that would leave me with $135-140 for a helmet & whatever else I'd need. Checking Canadian Tire they have 1 helmet (3/4 w/visor) at the Elmira location for $100 ($113 after Tax) where I could get my fishing licence also that would leave me with roughly $23-27 for whatever else I need, another option is the Waterloo location on Weber street where I could get a 1/2 helmet for $60-70 (about $68-79 after tax, maybe call & get it some transferred to the Elmira location to try on there?), or I could check out Zdeno Cycle on Victoria street & go to Natural Sports for my fishing licence.

Last edited:
There were a couple of places that used to rent helmets in Toronto. Perhaps there are some nearby as well? I'd offer to loan you an old one, but I'm in the opposite direction. Rubber boots probably won't do. I did find some inexpensive, over the ankle, leather boots at Walmart a while back. Make sure they're not the Australian ones with the stretch band in the middle of the ankle.

Back
Top Bottom