Internet recommendations ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet recommendations ?

FattBoyy

Hey everyone

I live in Oshawa, I was with tek savvy and their service went down for a full week and no repair resolution was in sight and no explanation

I switched to virgin,, they had decent down load 20 mb but I could not get even 1 mb upload. They said that’s the best they can offer

So I just switched to primus today

Supposed to get 35/5. But I am getting about 7 mb most times. With the occasional times going up to 20 mb

I called customer service they made me log in to my router and walked me through “changing channels” that improved the service while they were in the phone but about 30 minutes after back to slow speeds

Can anyone offer advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

none of the ISP's you mention own a physical network
they can do little about network outages
they are re-sellers

cable internet is the most stable option for residential connectivity
there is no choice in any town/city for that
you are stuck with Rogers, Cogeco etc depending where you live

a good re-seller is the best you can do
TekSavvy is known to be a good one
I've use them in the past with very good luck
currently with Start, same physical connection
but better pricing

You changed wireless channels? I would be amazed if your wireless was limiting the speed that much while remaining stable. Did they ask you anything about your actual internet connection (eg signal in dB?). If you can't achieve advertised speed, a tech with a fancy meter needs to come to your house to investigate the quality of your connection to the outside junction box. I had that done and the tech found that instead of being routed to fibre a few blocks from my house, for some reason I was on copper for kilometers before I hit a fiber node. A little rewiring in the distribution box and my speed doubled. If primus isn't trying to help you attain close to the advertised speed, screw them, you don't need the hassle.

I have used Teksavvy for years and had techs come out on multiple occasions (bell techs sent through TS) with good results. Teksavvy also resells cable in some areas. Prior to this house I always preferred cable internet (faster and more stable). Cable internet wasn't available thru teksavvy here and Robbers wasn't getting my money so I went with DSL and it has been rock solid (currently on 50/10).

Last edited:
Start.ca has been good to me but currently I’m only getting around half the speed I pay for in the evening if that. I’m supposed to get 60MBS but seem to be getting 30 or less. Sometimes a lot less so I don’t know if it’s a congestion issue or what. Upload is steady at 10.

Last edited:
Update ***

Soon after writing my original post. I lost wifi completely. So I logged in with my laptop through Ethernet and the internet was there at 30 mb. But no wifi

I then hooked up a spare tp-link router that I had to the modem and I am able to get wifi at about 20-30 mb

The issue is appearantly with the modem they gave me. It is supposed to be a 2 in 1 with a built in router. But is failing to put out a wifi signal

I spoke to primus they just said my modem has a known bug and they are sending me a better modem

ALL of the combination modem/router units are garbage
can get a very decent router for ~200

I run an Asus RTN66U, a few years old now
feeds 3 TV's 4 PC's and all the phones
mobile devices can connect 3 blocks away

you need to buy a decent router dude

I run an Asus RTN66U, a few years old now
feeds 3 TV's 4 PC's and all the phones
mobile devices can connect 3 blocks away

you need to buy a decent router dude

I did not know this. The installer said no need for the router this is 2 in 1 works well

I have a decent TP-link. I bought last year for around $120. I have that connected right now and it seems to be doing fine.

So, With the new “better” modem/router they are sending me. Do you think a router is necessary? I was just trying to have less clutter, other then that I don’t mind the router

Of course the installer will say that. Less problems for them.

Try the new combo unit and see if it works, you might get lucky. If not then use a separate decent router for your Wifi needs.

Also been a teksavvy user for years will little issues.

Always test your download speeds etc with a computer wired directly connected to the modem. If all good then anything after that point is your problem.

Sent from the moon!

if they are gonna charge you monthly for the new unit
send it back

you don't actually need to use any of their equipment
I use my own cable modem and ethernet that to my own router

they love to lock you into hardware deals
as it makes it harder to leave them if you have rental equipment

and a good router is more involved than just good wireless signal
you can get a D-Link unit that will damn near burn a wall down with wireless signal
but data throughput on ethernet or WLAN is another matter

Last edited:
Of course the installer will say that. Less problems for them.

Try the new combo unit and see if it works, you might get lucky. If not then use a separate decent router for your Wifi needs.

Also been a teksavvy user for years will little issues.

Always test your download speeds etc with a computer wired directly connected to the modem. If all good then anything after that point is your problem.

Sent from the moon!

I also had teksavvy 4 years no issues
But the internet went down for a week, they gave no explanation. I asked if there was any resolution in sight they actually said no,,, and what ticked me off was every phone call to them, I was told “we are escalating your issue”.... well you said that yesterday !

In the end I decided I had enough

I am on start.ca cable 120/10. As others have said, separate modem and router which is better/cheaper in the long run if you purchase rather than rent from the provider.

I am on start.ca cable 120/10. As others have said, separate modem and router which is better/cheaper in the long run if you purchase rather than rent from the provider.

I didn’t know Start did a 120 service? I thought 60 was their fastest.

I also had teksavvy 4 years no issues
But the internet went down for a week, they gave no explanation. I asked if there was any resolution in sight they actually said no,,, and what ticked me off was every phone call to them, I was told “we are escalating your issue”.... well you said that yesterday !

In the end I decided I had enough

Ya that kinds sucks. As mentioned they do lease from rogers, Tekksavvy would be at their mercy.

Hey at least you can try to get a deal from them considering the downtime if it is worth it, and if they offer you something.

go with Rogers, you can get a pretty good deal if you combo it with tv & home phone

internet was pretty fast: 200 up / 20 down

Yikkes that is dance with the devil right there, why should you have to bundle?
Also it is a billing nightmare every month with them, guaranteed f-up.

Regarding Start 120/10 option, I thought the same. I happen to check about 3 weeks ago when I was going through internet, tv, phone etc.

Have kept an eye on it since the change. Speedtest regularly shows between 120 and 125 mbps.

Dropped our Vonage home phone (very few incoming calls on it anyways). Saving $22 per mth.

Cut the Bell satellite tv package in half. Saving $60 per mth. Only 3 channels that we somewhat regularly watched dropped off.

Doubled our internet speed. Extra $20 per mth.

Added iptv and getting all the footy, motogp, WSBK, F1 and much much more. Extra $18 per mth.

Maybe cut the cord on Bell TV at some point in the future.

I'm on Rogers, don't remember the last time it went out. Pay $70 plus tax for gigabit, average about 500-700mbps on Speedtest

I've been with start.ca and teksavvy in the past. They got the job done. I am currently with Bell with their gigabit package, and it has been fantastic.

I agree, combo modem/router units that pretty much all ISP's use now are utter garbage. Rarely able to even more the bandwidth the connection itself is capable of, and easily saturated and overloaded to the point of bogging the connection.

I too have 1000mbit service through Rogers and with the built in router (I tried it out of curiosity) I struggled to see 300mbit over wifi on supposed AC that behaved more like N. Put it into bridge mode, connected my TPLink AC1900 router (<$125 at Canada Computers, great router, long warranty) and boom, 800-900mbit over wifi.

I was with Teksavvy for about 5-6 years and was very happy but unfortunately about 2 years back I needed more speed than what they could offer at a competitive rate to Rogers at the time, so I had to speak with my wallet unfortunately and leave them behind. The price difference was quite significant, not to mention I would have had to buy the faster modem outright on my own dime vs free rental with Rogers.

Back
Top Bottom